Carnival Liberty - FULL REVIEW from SanFranBayCruiser

I am really happy that your expectations were exceeded after visiting Messina. I am a first generation Sicilian and frequently travel there to visit my grandfather and other family members that never immigrated. I am not writing this to single you out in any way, but I just wanted to comment that unfortunately many people have this perception of Sicily and upon going there realize that it doesn't live true to the stereotype. I'll admit that there are still small towns in Sicily where you can find the donkey carts and dirt roads but they are far and few in between. Anyway I just wanted to thank you for your review and for writing about the pleasant experience you had in Messina.

Your review was great...I know I was one of the hundreds on this board waiting for someone to finally post a review of the Liberty and you did a great job. My boyfriend and I plan on taking a Med. cruise sometime in the near future (possibly a honeymoon cruise :rolleyes: lol) and when we saw the Liberty's itinerary we knew it would be perfect for us. After readng your review I wish we could just hop on a plane tonight and head for the Liberty :)

Puppida - I didn't feel singled out at all :D I totally understand what you're saying! I think my grandparents liked to exaggerate! :D

Thank you for your hard work in compiling a recap. We sail on August 13. Any idea which tours were sold out when some in your party attempted to book late? Regarding Dubrovnik, we too are kayaking and taking our kids. Were there any kids on your kayak tour? Were you able to have a little time in Dubrovnik after this tour was over? Regarding Pisa and Florence, would you rather have just arranged transportation on your own and explored these cities yourself? Thanks in advance for your help and your generosity in posting.

I wasn't planning on getting to the ship until 4:45 pm. You mentioned that they do the muster drill at 5 15pm...Are you sure? It seems early considering the ship allows people on until 6 pm. Legally everyone must participate in the muster drill. In your opinion, when did the majority of people arrive? My train arrives at 4:33 pm -- do you know how long it took people to get to the port from the train station?

Cruz - I won't swear by the time but, it was absolutely early and around the 5:15 mark, and there were people boarding AFTER the drill took place. And no, I have no idea the distance from the train station but maybe someone else can help with that one.

GREAT REVIEW and Lots of valuable information!!!

By any chance did you see the teen disco/lounge?? I'me anxiously waiting for the capers and photos too!! My DD is 14 1/2 and I'm wondering what kind of activities there will be for her!!

That's not sappy, I got tears in my eyes reading about your tears in your eyes. Thanks so much for taking the time to post all the information, and so soon! We're going next summer and for some reason Venice has been a place I've always wanted to see. Since it's early enough to be picky, which side of the ship would have the best view, especially of Venice while it's docked?

And ... you said not many kids were onboard (I know, a blessing for some, but ...) we're bringing our 10 year old daughter who travels very well with adults and kids. Did any kids you noticed seem to be enjoying themselves? Did you see them with the kids's club group at all?

Thanks again so much,

Mary

SleevesEnd - I have to tell you the kids on board were well behaved, with one or two exceptions but that's to be expected on ANY cruise, on ANY cruise line. We did go into the game room and to us adults, it looked like lots of choices for the kids. The slide was open but, I can't recall which days but the kids were really having a blast on it and it was fun just watching them! I didn't really see Camp Carnival but, I did see the counselor's leading some of the kids around and they were all laughs and giggles...so I'd have to say they enjoyed themselves!

SleevesEnd - I have to tell you the kids on board were well behaved, with one or two exceptions but that's to be expected on ANY cruise, on ANY cruise line. We did go into the game room and to us adults, it looked like lots of choices for the kids. The slide was open but, I can't recall which days but the kids were really having a blast on it and it was fun just watching them! I didn't really see Camp Carnival but, I did see the counselor's leading some of the kids around and they were all laughs and giggles...so I'd have to say they enjoyed themselves!

any thoughts as to which side of the ship to best view things, especially Venice?

"Barcelona: We were planning on getting off the ship and walking to Las Ramblas is this possible if not were there plenty of taxis?"

SFBayCruiser, Didn't see an answer to this inquiry. Could one walk to downtown from where the ship docked? Do you know how many miles it might be? Thanks

"Barcelona: We were planning on getting off the ship and walking to Las Ramblas is this possible if not were there plenty of taxis?"

SFBayCruiser, Didn't see an answer to this inquiry. Could one walk to downtown from where the ship docked? Do you know how many miles it might be? Thanks

Thought I would help out SFBC :)

This was her response to that question

Barcelona - you are not within walking distance to go shopping. There are taxis but there is a line, plan well in advance, get off the ship early and get back early, the traffic in this area is bad, lots of ships both cruise ships and commerical ships and lots of deliveries being made.

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. But it makes me even more sad that we had to cancel our September sailing on this cruise because of my husband's illness. Oh well, maybe in the future...

And after giving this ship such glowing reviews, maybe the bad reputation that always seems to follow Carnival will finally be put to rest. I think the Liberty has one of the finest itineraries around.

What a great thing you did posting that review for all of us soon to be Liberty Cruisers! We had watched you all last week on the webcam and were itching to hear how it was.....thanks again for your help. We are on the September 6th sailing - Did you happen to hear from others on board about other of the ship excursions? We are trying to decide about Tuscany (Livorno) and have booked Taormina (Sicily) and St Paul de Vence (Canne) - and the Train Ride to Monserrat outside Barcelona?

Appreciate your posting - know you must be tired - Happy Sails to you!

Thank you so much for your review. You must be exhausted!

One quick question:

We have a 12:10 pm flight out of Rome after the cruise. We were assured by CCL that we could make this. Based on your experience, do you think that's possible?

Thanks,

Gracie

How many formal nights and semi-formal nights?? The rest I assume are casual. How long did you have to wait in line at the Vatican??

We are going on the 9/6 cruise and are going to Rome 3 days early. When you say expensive in your review for restaurants, what type of price per person in euros for dinner??

Thanks

Cheryl

That was a great review and thank you for taking the time when I know you have to be exhausted after your long trip.

I think you scared a lot of us with the airport nightmare. We also, have a 1:00 pm flight out and I have a private car arranged for 8:00 am at the port. Is that logical or should I bump the time for the car to meet us up to 7:00 am?

If you could get those Capers scanned, it would probably answer a lot of our questions. Can't wait to see them!

Get some rest and thanks again for taking the time to do this. We've been anxiously awaiting the return of the inaugural cruisers!

You really took the time and patience to write your review. Sounds like it was a wonderful cruise! My husband and I are a young 60ish couple. We will be celebrating our 40th anniv next Aug. 2006. Just wondering how we would find the age groups on the Liberty. What do you think? We really like a mix but don't want to be the only young seniors. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to writ that grat review .. I have been trying to get my DH to go to Europe (he has been already, I have not) maybe this is they way I can get him to go and see more cities! I can't wait to see your pics!

Archived