Yukon Suspension Bridge

AryMay

I am wondering if anyone can give me their opinions about the time and expense involved in stopping at the Yukon Suspension bridge as we drive from Skagway up to Emerald Lake.

It sounds like this is a stop on cruise ship tours and I wondered if it is generally crowded?

I have read that purchasing Murray's Guide gives you half off the cost for everyone in the party (correct?) Anyone know what the current admission price is for 2014?

Bottom line...if you have made the stop did you feel it was worthwhile? :confused:

They were closed when I went by yesterday - only 1 small ship doesn't make it worthwhile opening. Last year it was $18 for adults, $14 for seniors and $9 for kids (free under 5). Showing Murray's Guide got you $4 off for adults and seniors, $3 off for kids.

Emerald Lake has lots of very thin ice still, but Spirit Lake (right across the highway) is 90% ice-free, so 2-3 days should clear it (or 2-3 hours if a good wind comes up).

• 1 month later...

We are renting a Green Jeep from Skagway and would like to know how far is the bridge passed Emerald Lake?:confused: Was going to turn around at the lake but maybe would drive farther if not too far!:rolleyes:

We are renting a Green Jeep from Skagway and would like to know how far is the bridge passed Emerald Lake?:confused: Was going to turn around at the lake but maybe would drive farther if not too far!:rolleyes:

It's before Emerald Lake, about 28 miles out of Skagway, according to Google Maps. Try typing Yukon Suspension Bridge into Google Maps...

It's before Emerald Lake, about 28 miles out of Skagway, according to Google Maps. Try typing Yukon Suspension Bridge into Google Maps...

Thanks! Would love to stop there! Do you suggest stopping there before or on our return drive from Emerald Lake?:confused:

it's at mile 46 coming out of Skagway. it's on Murray's guide, and I am positive there must be signage for it too.

It's actually just past Kilometer 47, which is about 29 miles from Skagway. It's the only building for many miles and is on a corner that really does make it impossible to miss. I have an annual pass because I stop there so often - they make changes pretty much every year, and last year's new deck was a great addition.

Thanks! Would love to stop there! Do you suggest stopping there before or on our return drive from Emerald Lake?:confused:

We stopped on our way up and had it all to ourselves no tours yet - on the way back it was packed! The green jeep tours were awesome - very informative. Try to get out early as you will have more time - I would suggest getting to the border on the way back by no later than an hour and half before your ship boarding time. We cut it too close - got caught at the border for 35+ mins - we were behind several large tour buses and they scan every passport ! by the time we returned the jeep we had 6 mins to get to ship!! YIKES - we were pier runners for sure that day !!

Interesting, this bridge isn't even in the Yukon. :)

The water that flows under it eventually ends up in the Yukon, though. In world of tourism promotion, that's close enough :) Have you seen the new Alaska Tourism ad showing "What it looks like at Midnight?" It most certainly does not!

We stopped on our way up and had it all to ourselves no tours yet - on the way back it was packed! The green jeep tours were awesome - very informative. Try to get out early as you will have more time - I would suggest getting to the border on the way back by no later than an hour and half before your ship boarding time. We cut it too close - got caught at the border for 35+ mins - we were behind several large tour buses and they scan every passport ! by the time we returned the jeep we had 6 mins to get to ship!! YIKES - we were pier runners for sure that day !!

I do enjoy waving and encouraging the pier runners to go faster! I just hope we are back safely and able to wave from our balcony and not be amongst the runners!!!!!:o Thanks for the advice and will definitely heed it!;)

Interesting, this bridge isn't even in the Yukon. :) As noted there are people who enjoy this.

And yet when you put it into Google Maps, the location is correct, but it says that it is in Whitehorse, YT. Must be because their contact address is in Whitehorse.

I can't comment on the bridge itself, other than the fact that I will never go there because I'm afraid of heights and hate suspension bridges! :eek:

and yet when you put it into google maps, the location is correct, but it says that it is in whitehorse, yt. Must be because their contact address is in whitehorse.

I can't comment on the bridge itself, other than the fact that i will never go there because i'm afraid of heights and hate suspension bridges! :eek:

ditto!!!

We went to the suspension bridge 7 years ago when our family booked a cruise just a few weeks before sailing. I had really wanted to go to Emerald Lake but all those tours were full. I finally made it to Emerald Lake this month and the trip into the Yukon was beautiful. My first trip was in September and the fall colors were beautiful at the suspension bridge. My advice is mixed. Go further into the Yukon if you possibly can. The bridge is fine if that is what is practical for your time at Skagway.