Solstice-When Was Her Last Drydock ??

curtdesilets

We are thinking of taking Solstice next summer for Alaska.

Just curious since she was the first S-class ship, when was she last refurbished? Is she faring well? Are there any more scheduled fixes for her in the near term?

- - - - -

I also understand that the Juneau Tendering situation (which appears to be a disaster), is supposed to be alleviated next Summer when Juneau puts in their new larger dock allowing Solstice to actually port rather than tender.

Is that still going on as scheduled?

Any facts about these two things will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I believe Solstice had a "refurb/drydock" in 2010, and I don't think she is scheduled for another until fall of 2016 - which certainly seems to be a long time in between! Normally it has been 3 - 5 years between drydocks.

Having said this, all reports I have read say the Solstice is still in fine shape. :)

I believe Solstice had a "refurb/drydock" in 2010, and I don't think she is scheduled for another until fall of 2016 - which certainly seems to be a long time in between! Normally it has been 3 - 5 years between drydocks.

Having said this, all reports I have read say the Solstice is still in fine shape. :)

That's welcome news. I do realize that M-class ships are getting up there in age with Millie breaking down last summer. Century is pretty old, but still well maintained.

Having said this, all reports I have read say the Solstice is still in fine shape.

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. No big "problems" as noted above for needing to do any major work on this ship. The "hard surfaces" seemed fine. It was a very well-designed and built ship. Great design and quality German workmanship. Did we see a few things to improve, fine-tune, etc.? Sure. There were a few "soft goods", such as furniture, that showed a little wear. Overall things worked fine for us and the six other couples in our travel group from Central Ohio.

Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 57,303 views for this fun posting.

We were on the same cruise as Terry from Ohio in New Zealand on the Solstice and I would agree with him. We cruised on the new Reflection last year and did not see that much difference in the quality of the ship on the Solstice. We enjoyed it so much we are doing the 11 day Alaska cruise on the Solstice in September.

Neil

We are thinking of taking Solstice next summer for Alaska.

Just curious since she was the first S-class ship, when was she last refurbished? Is she faring well? Are there any more scheduled fixes for her in the near term?

- - - - -

I also understand that the Juneau Tendering situation (which appears to be a disaster), is supposed to be alleviated next Summer when Juneau puts in their new larger dock allowing Solstice to actually port rather than tender.

Is that still going on as scheduled?

Any facts about these two things will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!