Any Westerdam Alaska Returnees Yet?

curtdesilets

Funny... same thing happened on the May 17 sailing, although we were only one hour late to Victoria. The ride back was so bumpy that the captain asked women not to wear high heels and for passengers not to use their verandahs. The promenade was closed.

Actually we were 1 1/2 hours late arriving in Victoria and no one was allowed off the boat until 2 hours after the original arrival time.

Cruiseatik....than you for your unbiased review. Unfortunately with some on here if you are not one of the HAL "cheerleaders" then your post in some way doesn't "count." Also funny how the "spelling police" come out from under the rocks! I too make spelling errors. This is a forum for Christ's sake not Sister Margaret's 3rd grade English class.

BTW Windsailer I know you said you didn't mind and ate at the Lido when told by (I assume a DR Manager?) that open seating was full ( even though your boarding pass had you down for open seating) and that you were told by Ricco? that open seating would be very crowded? No No No! I would have had some choice words for Ricky Boy! First of all I would have said (in a louder than normal voice) that I PAID for open seating. I could care less how crowded open seating is. That is YOUR problem NOT MINE!!!!

Do not make YOUR Problems MINE!!!! I assure you I would not have any further problems dining at open seating!

Cruiseatik....than you for your unbiased review. Unfortunately with some on here if you are not one of the HAL "cheerleaders" then your post in some way doesn't "count." Also funny how the "spelling police" come out from under the rocks! I too make spelling errors. This is a forum for Christ's sake not Sister Margaret's 3rd grade English class.

BTW Windsailer I know you said you didn't mind and ate at the Lido when told by (I assume a DR Manager?) that open seating was full ( even though your boarding pass had you down for open seating) and that you were told by Ricco? that open seating would be very crowded? No No No! I would have had some choice words for Ricky Boy! First of all I would have said (in a louder than normal voice) that I PAID for open seating. I could care less how crowded open seating is. That is YOUR problem NOT MINE!!!!

Do not make YOUR Problems MINE!!!! I assure you I would not have any further problems dining at open seating!

I didn't explain myself very well. We always eat in the Lido, for many reasons. I knew the table I was assigned (a table for two on the rail) was a prime one and wanted to give someone else a chance at it. But it was such a PITA dealing with Enrico/Ricco (?) next time I won't bother. No good deed goes unpunished.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise...but it wasn't perfect.

Kudos to the captain for getting us to victoria. The golden princess left Ketchikan at the exact same time as the westerdam and they arrived hours later in victoria and did not disembark passengers. At least those on westerdam had a few hours to walk around town

Pulling into victoria I met a man on the outside deck and asked him how he enjoyed his cruise, he said it was terrible as his luggage was broken between by the airline en route to the cruise but but they repaired the bag on the ship and he was mad as he wanted a new bag. Some people will never be happy and miss the point to travel (and most likely should stay home). Agree there are episodes that make some cruises better than others, but newsflash, you're on ship, it's not a ride at disneyland on a track, in a storm you miss a port.

I'm very happy that cruisers are coming back with positive experiences from the Westerdam. That is great to hear! What I don't understand is why people feel the need to squash different experiences or make judgements on people who may have had a different experience. Are the positive ones the only ones that have any credence?

This just reinforces my decision to not book an excursion for Victoria but hang loose and play it by ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We never book anything for Victoria because the street performers by the pier and the night/evening life of the city are beautiful on their own. There's a fun little tapas bar in town, sandwiched between some very cute shops as well. Alternatively, the pubs are all super friendly. The drive to Buchardt Gardens is really long and cuts half your port time anyway, so don't feel like you're missing anything that huge. :-)

We never book anything for Victoria because the street performers by the pier and the night/evening life of the city are beautiful on their own. There's a fun little tapas bar in town, sandwiched between some very cute shops as well. Alternatively, the pubs are all super friendly. The drive to Buchardt Gardens is really long and cuts half your port time anyway, so don't feel like you're missing anything that huge. :-)

Totally understand people not wanting to book anything for Victoria. It's awkward when you have to get off the ship the next day. That said, I can't agree with the comment about Buchardt gardens. I'm really not a garden person but those gardens are beautiful. At some point, if not on this cruise, I think they are worth the effort to see.

Totally understand people not wanting to book anything for Victoria. It's awkward when you have to get off the ship the next day. That said, I can't agree with the comment about Buchardt gardens. I'm really not a garden person but those gardens are beautiful. At some point, if not on this cruise, I think they are worth the effort to see.

There's a half marathon in the area I've been considering that would bring me back there if I do it. I'd rather postpone until then than risk having little to no time because of a delay in docking or disembarking. Give it the time it deserves. :)

There's a half marathon in the area I've been considering that would bring me back there if I do it. I'd rather postpone until then than risk having little to no time because of a delay in docking or disembarking. Give it the time it deserves. :)

That's the way to do it! You want plenty of time at the gardens which might not happen on a cruise. Plus, when you book independently, it's less expensive and the crowds are smaller.

Sounds like a great plan. I had zero desire to ever go there until a colleague had a picture on her desktop of the gardens. She told me where it was and I had to go there. Whenever I hear someone talk of it I do my best to encourage a visit.

Sounds like a great plan. I had zero desire to ever go there until a colleague had a picture on her desktop of the gardens. She told me where it was and I had to go there. Whenever I hear someone talk of it I do my best to encourage a visit.

Thanks! :)

We have a HAL excursion there, the pictures are amazing and Mary has been there before. Hopefully we will arrive in time. I'll have to go check the excursion information to see what happens when those excursions are cancelled due to ship arriving late.

All in all I had a good time. My one complaint is about consistency.

In general the service was excellent with a few exceptions but then it was mediocre not bad

I totally agree about what a joke the at your service perk was.I was always put on hold never talked with anyone. The first day we were calling for ice- as soon as I put down the phone there was a knock on the door- it was our room steward. I told him I needed ice and from then on my bucket was filled. I wondered if the phone was to be answered by your steward instead of of someone else? If so not surprised that a steward wouldn't be sitting by a phone since they always seemed so busy

The biggest inconsistency was in the food; one time Pinnacle Grill was excellent start to finish, another time not so

The MDR had flashes of brilliance but also fell flat

I was perfectly happy with the Lido as my expectations are lower for buffet style food

Liked the Dive In Burgers and dogs

You may want to tell them to go lighter on the sauce though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk