Swimsuits and ladies over 60

Over 60's - Who wears /packs a swimsuit  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Over 60's - Who wears /packs a swimsuit

• I'm not interested in bronzing or swimming
    • I have a body image issue
    • Sometimes if the location suits eg. snorkelling

You made the same implication that the OP did, but moreso, IMO.....By saying "still", you've made the implication that a lot of time and changes have taken place since they started wearing swimsuits.

If you reread my post you'll see that I didn't say "still", I was quoting or thought I was, the OP. Sometimes, reading these posts is not the same as speaking directly with someone and things can get lost in the translation.

Nonetheless. I read your other post about judging people and I agree with you. Lots of people judge or comment on each other but as you say, it's about what they're wearing or doing and not using that judgment to decide what kind of person they are. You have a good point there.;)

I think the whole question of whether women "of a certain age" wear swimsuits (or should), and indeed what kind of swimsuits women wear in general, is a very American one. In Europe (and probably in many other parts of the world), women of all ages wear swimsuits -- often two-piece suits and bikinis -- with no thought at all, in spite of what Americans in general and American women in particular might consider "body issues" or even significant body "flaws." European women with mature bodies are often seen topless, as well.

I would love to hear from some of the European members of CC to get their perspective on this topic.

Stressing over the shapes of their bodies is just something European women don't seem to bother with. On the other hand, Americans are becoming heavier and heavier, and the increasing size of women (and of course, men, too) one sees in America is rarely seen in most of Europe. Aging and the natural development of a softer, fuller (but not obese) body is seen as normal by women in Europe, as a general rule, and they are not "ashamed" to expose what American women might consider a "less than perfect" body.

American women seem to have a distorted picture in their heads about what is "ideal," being entirely too much influenced by the concept of the swimsuit model, whose shape is exceptional at best, and completely unnatural at worst. I imagine most American men -- well, most American husbands -- love the bodies of the women in their lives, and would not want their beloved's body to be distortedly "perfect." I am not saying that there are not legitimate health and shall we say "esthetic" issues that women and their "significant others" might be concerned about when it comes to weight and shape -- of course there are. But most men, I think, love the body of the one they love, and many American women (married or not) undoubtedly need to learn to love their own mature body in the same way.

It sounds as if a lot on this thread have learned to value (or at least make peace with :)) their physical selves in this way. And as long as a proper respect for health and well-being is taking into account, I think that's great thing! Bravo, ladies!

Edited by SeagoingMom

I think the whole question of whether women "of a certain age" wear swimsuits (or should), and indeed what kind of swimsuits women wear in general, is a very American one. In Europe (and probably in many other parts of the world), women of all ages wear swimsuits -- often two-piece suits and bikinis -- with no thought at all, in spite of what Americans in general and American women in particular might consider "body issues" or even significant body "flaws." European women with mature bodies are often seen topless, as well.

I would love to hear from some of the European members of CC to get their perspective on this topic.

Stressing over the shapes of their bodies is just something European women don't seem to bother with. On the other hand, Americans are becoming heavier and heavier, and the increasing size of women (and of course, men, too) one sees in America is rarely seen in most of Europe. Aging and the natural development of a softer, fuller (but not obese) body is seen as normal by women in Europe, as a general rule, and they are not "ashamed" to expose what American women might consider a "less than perfect" body.

American women seem to have a distorted picture in their heads about what is "ideal," being entirely too much influenced by the concept of the swimsuit model, whose shape is exceptional at best, and completely unnatural at worst. I imagine most American men -- well, most American husbands -- love the bodies of the women in their lives, and would not want their beloved's body to be distortedly "perfect." I am not saying that there are not legitimate health and shall we say "esthetic" issues that women and their "significant others" might be concerned about when it comes to weight and shape -- of course there are. But most men, I think, love the body of the one they love, and many American women (married or not) undoubtedly need to learn to love their own mature body in the same way.

It sounds as if a lot on this thread have learned to value (or at least make peace with :)) their physical selves in this way. And as long as a proper respect for health and well-being is taking into account, I think that's great thing! Bravo, ladies!

So very true!!! Go to any place in Europe where there is the opportunity to wear a bathing suit and you will see everyone and anyone in what they want to wear. No one gives a hoot about it.

And, so true about Americans becoming more overweight and obsessing about they will look without confronting themselves. How many women here will refer to themselves as "fluffy" instead of "overweight" because it makes them feel better about themselves…

I won't begrudge anyone wanting to wear a bathing suit, and that includes the men who wear Speedos...