Making the most of Belize, Tours Necessary?

Chev_350

We are going in August and are a little unsure of tours as they are a little on the expensive side and seem to take 4-7 hours per tour. Is there enough to do in Belize with out going on a tour? I am interested in the ruins listed on the Carnival site but at 7 hours I can't see that leaving much time for anything else.

Honestly, not a lot to do without taking a tour, especially to the ruins. There are independent/private vendors out there who can do things a tad cheaper than cruise ship excursion.

But Belize City is a working city not geared for tourism and thus while there are some interesting historical sites within a reasonable walking distance as well as several local restaurants outside the Tourism Village, visiting these places isn't everyone's cup of tea. Maya ruins, cave-tubing, and snorkeling out on the reefs are the prime attractions here. All of these require an excursion to reach.

We were there in March, our third time to Belize.We just had a late breakfast, took our time , and hung out at the tourism village and had some food and drinks, and my wife shopped a bit..I guess since we have been on a lot of cruises it was fine with us. We took a tender back before the last minute mob scene also.

There really is very little to do without taking a tour of some sort.

If you get back in time, there is some shopping around the tender dock area.

The Wet Lizard is a good place to get a drink before returning to the ship. :D

LuLu

If you go outside the terminal, there are vendors out there selling tours at good prices. Many of them are affiliated with Major Tom who is (or was) president of a tour association. They work together and agree to help each other out in case of emergencies.

When I learned this, it made booking with them much more comfortable.

We were lucky enough to sit in on a talk at Altun Ha ruins by Major Tom and he was a captivating speaker. Very informative about Mayan history.

We did Carnival's Altun Ha & City Tour when we were there in Nov. The bus ride was about an hour to the site but seemed to take much longer. I enjoyed my time at the Ruins and it didn't really feel as rushed as I thought it would feel. We also got back with enough time for me to do a little shopping there in port. I definitely would not try and "wing it" at this port. Either book an excursion or stay on the ship - there is nothing to see in the immediate vicinity.

I have been lazy and have yet to finish my review from Nov but I do have pictures from my day in Belize in my signature if you'd like to see them.