B.C. part of Inside Passage

westcoaster

I know the OP doesn't want to hear this but if you look at wikipedia it states:

"British Columbia portion

British Columbia's portion of the route has up to 25,000 miles (40,000 km) of coastline. It includes the narrow, protected Strait of Georgia between Vancouver Island and the B.C. mainland, the Johnstone Strait between Vancouver Island and the mainland, as well as a short stretch along the wider and more exposed Hecate Strait near the Haida Gwaii (formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands). From Fitz Hugh Sound northwards, the route is sheltered via the various large islands in that area such as Princess Royal Island and Pitt Island."

So technically Hecate Strait is part of the Inside Passage, just not the portion he/she would like.

Thanks for this good thought. I have enjoyed all of my Inside Passage cruises, including the parts in the Hecate Strait.

Thanks, all, for the stimulating discussion. I am going to study some more my Princess route map, the big one that comes with the book that Princess sells. All very interesting.

Bon voyage, all :)

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

I think the Wikipedia article is actually in error when it refers to Hecate Strait (if you can imagine such a thing!) since that part of the open water south of Fitz Hugh Sound is actually known as Queen Charlotte Sound.

I think the Wikipedia article is actually in error when it refers to Hecate Strait (if you can imagine such a thing!) since that part of the open water south of Fitz Hugh Sound is actually known as Queen Charlotte Sound.

Good one, and right you are.:D:D

I've read and commented on Jim's review for the cruise and do thank you.

Just commented to my husband on the Captain's choice of not taking the inside passage. DH not a happy man at this point. He's is a retired airline captain. He said "that would be like me telling the passengers we were going to land at JFK instead of LGA because it was easier".

We really were looking forward to the true inside passage because of our past experiences on the local ferries.

Anyone have recent experience with a true inside passage on any ship?

Thanks.

I've only been along the B.C. Inside Passage by ferry, but I know at least some of the Holland America ships still regularly follow this route. Also, here's a link to a description of Celebrity Millennium following this route in 2012 (though apparently this is not its regular route): http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/sailing-alaska-day-2-grenville-channel/

I've only been along the B.C. Inside Passage by ferry, but I know at least some of the Holland America ships still regularly follow this route. Also, here's a link to a description of Celebrity Millennium following this route in 2012 (though apparently this is not its regular route): http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/sailing-alaska-day-2-grenville-channel/

Thank you for posting this. I hoped that our passage would be the same particularly since we are on a smaller ship. Lovely photos.

Maybe we will get a captain that wants to take it slow. That's the one thing we love about Azamara. The captains have a lot of leeway and work so hard to please.

Know we will enjoy our cruise but had some different thoughts about the itinerary.

OK, wow, I have been studying my Princess route maps. I am convinced that Princess ships used to take that more "inside" route, back in the early '90s. The ships were much smaller, back then. The original Sun Princess, and the original Island Princess, were tiny, indeed, compared to today's ships.

Ah, the good old days! But I am happy to take today's routes, as well. What a world. All of this discussion is making me anxious for another Alaska cruise.

I've read and commented on Jim's review for the cruise

I looked and didn't see Jim's review. Could someone post a link? We are taking the PP in August and would love to read reviews of those who just got off her.

My husband and I were hoping for scenic inside passage cruising but it sounds like that won't be happening. :(

Thanks

I looked and didn't see Jim's review. Could someone post a link? We are taking the PP in August and would love to read reviews of those who just got off her.

My husband and I were hoping for scenic inside passage cruising but it sounds like that won't be happening. :(

Thanks

I believe this is it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040408

Thanks

Not to worry. The first evening out of Vancouver, inside Vancouver Island, is very scenic. The first morning will be scenic, too. Don't miss these times.

Sailing between Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan is also very scenic.

Sailing into Juneau, and out of Skagway, are two of my favorite times in cruising.

Not to mention Glacier Bay:)

Enjoy! Bon voyage:)