Which alternate ports are likely, if we can't tender in to Grand Cayman?

Hi everyone,

This is kind of a weird question... but we're cruising next month during hurricane season, and I know there's always a possibility of getting diverted to a different port than originally planned.

Now, I know it all depends on *what* weather is occurring *where*... but to which ports do ships diverted from Grand Cayman typically go, if they can't tender in that day?

I thought it might be a good idea to have some of the phone numbers of dive and snorkel operators from other likely ports handy... just in case.

Thanks for your help!

Hi cruisingator,

That would be a severe bummer!

We're going on a 5 day cruise w/ only 2 ports: Key West and Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman is the "main" reason we're going (to dive / snorkel). I was hoping to hear some place like Cozumel might be an alternate port (assuming weather is OK there, of course)...

Carole

Hi cruisingator,

That would be a severe bummer!

We're going on a 5 day cruise w/ only 2 ports: Key West and Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman is the "main" reason we're going (to dive / snorkel). I was hoping to hear some place like Cozumel might be an alternate port (assuming weather is OK there, of course)...

Carole

I didn't know which ship that you were cruising on. Coz may be an option for the cruise line but it will depend on the track of a storm and how many ships are in port that day.

If you do a "search" of these boards, I think that you will find what Gordon told you. While there may be exceptions, my recollection is that everyone reports a sea day.

If Grand Cayman is that important to you (Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda), you should book a fly-there land-based vacation with that as your destination.

Bon Voyage, and good luck.

Carol

you will go to Canada :D (j/k)

keep in mind that if it isn't safe to tender in, you won't want to be doing it! it can be difficult to get on and off the ship, and the lifeboats (often used to tender) and larger tenders (small ferries) aren't stable like the cruise ship is. And if the seas are quite rough, many of the snorkeling excursions get cancelled anyway. I hope you get to go, but if you don't, try to enjoy your day anyway! I will be at work, envying you!

We have had sea days some of the times I've missed GC (3 out of 6 times) but one time, the Captain found out quite early that the port was closed so he immediately (4:00 AM) started toward Cozumel (our next port, where we were due the following day). So at 6:30 AM he announced that we were well on our way to Cozumel, where we would be overnight.

So it gave us a whole evening in Cozumel, and then the whole next day too. So that was nice.

(PS the male crew members were over the moon - because, as several of them told us, they could be off the ship overnight, and visit the many "Ladies of the Night" in Coz.)

We were unable to go to Grand Cayman due to a medical emergency on board.

Bummer.

However, I know if I were in the same shoes as medical emergency person, I would want someone to take care of me.

We went to Costa Maya instead. Okay, but not Grand Cayman. BUT it was not the person's fault who was hurt and I wish more people would remember that.

Have fun no matter what. You are CRUISING!

That's funny travelgrrl... I hope we would go to Coz too if we couldn't tender in (but not for the reasons of the crew on your ship :) ).

Also, I've seen some links to stats / historical information on hurricanes... what areas were impacted, during what month of the year, etc... Does anyone know any of those websites off-hand?

I think Costa Maya is another port that tenders. Are they affected more than normal by high winds as well?

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, no Costa Maya is a docking port! That's where the Grandeur got up close and personal with the dock!

Carol

Yeah..Costa Maya has a GREAT BIG PIER...(apparently not big enough for some :) )Its actually set up to hold 4-5 ships...I predict that to be a very popular port in years to come...(Does anyone remember when Cancun was a little bity town:eek: )

In Sept we missed KW and GC due to IVAN:( We did Belize and Costa Maya..

Not sure where you are sailing from...But if it is only a 5 dayer...From FL....it might be a stretch to go to coz...Jamacia or the private Island maybe...I have heard of a lot that end up with just sea days as well..(just another reason that I think the Pax on last weeks voyager should not be so bummed) but shhhhhh don't say that out loud :p

Also remember, if by chance you miss Grand Cayman becuase its to rough to handle the tenders, would you likely want to get on another small boat to ferry out to where you would dive or snorkel. Just my opinion, it may be a bit rough for those boats as well.

This is our favorite destination. With that said, our cruise on EOS in Jan 2003, and Carnival Miracle, Jan 2004 we missed being able to tender in because of the winds. Now on RCCL they gave us free selected drinks for 2 hours at the pool.... Carnival gave us each $20.00 ship credit. I would like to know...where was the refund for the port charges? They keep it all!

No other destination was given...just a sea day!

Good News For You! We won't be on your ship! Our luck being able to make a port stop in Grand Cayman is about 50%! (Once, many years ago, we tendered to George Town ... but, they could not get us back to the ship because of unexpected high seas! :eek: )

Bad News For You! Always, it was just "another day At Sea". Really, not such a bad thing!

Try not to worry about it and make your plans to have FUN!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

On our Rhapsody cruise July 3-10 of this year, we were diverted from Grand Cayman due to Hurricane Dennis and went full speed ahead to Cozumel where we docked at 7PM, stayed overnight, the entire next day and then on to Progresso. Nobody grumbled. We were lucky. The capt. made the right choice and we had beautiful sunny weather, great food, entertained, pampered. It doesn't get much better than that.

Question. Lots has been posted about the ship not being able to tender in GC. Did it ever tender, have the passengers go off on excursions not to be able to tender BACK to their ship because of high winds, rough waters? What happens then?

BonnieNYTX - Boy, I sure would be disappointed if, on Grand Cayman, we couldn't tender back to the ship and were *stuck there* for an extra day or two... Gosh, that would mean I'd probably have to miss a day or two of work... I'd truly be devastated!! ;) :) (Now you've got me thinking of something new to hope for!!)

cawhite, you can do a search to find out the details (damned OldTimer's disease!), but there have DEFINITELY been instances where people were stranded because the tenders couldn't safely get them back to the ship. One VERY famous incident. A CC poster gave a HUGE AND COMPLETE telling of THAT story on the boards........but I think that was before the board switch, so I don't know if it's searchable.

Someone with a better memory than mine?!?!?!?!?

I actually remember one more recently...Like since they returned back in March or So after Hurricane repairs..Where like one or two tenders did make it to town,and the rest of the ship did not...I can't remember the details either....:o

Archived