Just off Freedom of the Seas Western Carib

Just got off the Freedom of the Seas doing the Western Caribbean yesterday and would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. If you have questions about excursions or anything at all please let me know. I will just say my overall experience was great and with the exception of the wind not sure it could have been any better. I do have all of the cruise compasses. Let me know if I can help with anything.

We just got off the FOTS a little over two weeks ago.

In regard to the shows, if you want to see the ice show, you need to book a pass ahead of time if at all possible. We were at a large dining table, and none of the people even knew about the ice show, and we had never seen it before. Once we seen it, we told everyone about it, and I suggested that they go to Guest Relations/Purser's desk to see if they might have some tickets, and they did. I would suggest (even though we had tickets/passes for this) that no matter what show you go to, get there EARLY, that is how you will get a good seat. as the areas fill up fast.

Another thing, if you want to see the parade on Saturday night (yes it is great), and take pictures, get there early too.

Do you know what the price of a frozen drink was? How much bottled water was? How were the shows? Was it hard to find a seat?

Thanks!

I dont remember exactly what the price of frozen drinks were because I got one of the drink packages, but if I recall correctly I think they were around 6.95-8.95

If you get a drink package the bottle water and soda come free, so I again I am unsure of the price of that.

The shows were good, especially the late night comedy and the magician and I didn't ever have a problem getting a seat and we generally got there about 10 minutes prior to the show and really could sit anywhere.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

If you could do just one thing again what would it be?

I would go with Captain Marvin in the Grand Caymans again. The sting rays were awesome and the two snorkeling sites were great. Its very relaxed and the crew is great. The only downside to this excursion is they don't provide food so after 4 hours of swimming you are pretty hungry, but I would go with them again.

What time did you get to the port for embarkation & what time did they actually start boarding?

We got to the port around 9:45AM and we were in the windjammer eating lunch by 11:15. When we got there at 9:45 there was a line about 20 people deep waiting get in. They opened security at about 10:30 and from there it was smooth sailing.

I'm just off this cruise as well. We ate at chops one night and it was excellent...they even packed us up dessert to go since we were too full to eat it there. My only complaint is the way the two-tops are oriented. One person is stuck with the window at their back and the other gets the nice sea view.

We were on FOTS a few weeks ago and also went to the ice show. It is amazing, don't miss it. You can reserve it in advance before your cruise, or just go to the guest relations desk on the first day or so and they'll put your reservation in. Only one person from your stateroom needs to go to make the reservation too, I was able to go to the desk and reserve for both my husband and I. It was the best show we saw onboard!

Did you eat in any of the specialty restaurants or do any of the wine tastings?

Did you give anyone the boot from their MDR table? :D

Yes we ate at Chops and yes we kicked 4 people out of our table. You have to be pretty special to be allowed to eat with us LOL

Just goes to show you how preference vary. I thought both fo the comedians were not funny and the magic act was so easy to figure out that it wasn't that entertaining. I remember Drew Thomas from AGT and they told him over and over that he spent to much time prancing around and not enough time making the tricks interesting.

I know a few people who really liked it though so he appeals to some. It was OK for a cruise ship act.

I didn't find anyone who thought the comedians were funny.

Tom

Drew Thomas from America's Got Talent. Probably one of the best headliner shows I've ever seen onboard.

If you don't add any additional tip to a frozen drink the final price was between $10-$15 depending on whether you keep the glass or not (in the typical venues like the Pharoah's, Schooner, and Arcadia. Bottled water (for a small bottle) is around $4 including the gratuity costs.

I think you have to include the whole cost since even though they label part of it "gratuity" they add it on and make you pay it (I know there have been other talks about that so not trying to start anything). It's unfair to say the drinks cost less than the whole price since it's not optional. They do provide you with an additional line in case you think their 15% is not enough. I used that line on occasion.

So the calculation for drink package is not as arduous as I'd previously thought since $10 drinks add up pretty quickly.

A typical gin and tonic (my choice) was around $8. Beer and soda around $4-$5. Wine is about $10/glass. It adds up quickly.

Tom

Do you know what the price of a frozen drink was? How much bottled water was? How were the shows? Was it hard to find a seat?

Thanks!

No Chef's Table on Freedom.

I was on this cruise and did the chefs table. It was amazing. There were 22 of us and it was upstairs near the Windjammer. The head waiter said they had another one the day after too.

How did the overall appearance of the ship look?? I only ask as I believe its going to dry dock in jan 2015, was it looking a bit "tired"? (we go on it for a b2b in Oct).

Anything u recommend we do on the ship in particular?

The ship looks great. The crew is great. The food is excellent. The captain is funny and always around. I liked Casey Cruise Director. David Mac and Chris Brown on the activities staff are phenomenal and should have their own ships IMO. We had a great time. We also did a B2B and my only complaint was they do the same "jokes" every week so you get a lot of reruns. I suggested in the survey that Casey have a set for western and eastern. B2B is fabulous. You get a lot of special treatment and we were only off the ship for 40 minutes. We have already planned another B2B cruise.

Tom

How did the overall appearance of the ship look?? I only ask as I believe its going to dry dock in jan 2015, was it looking a bit "tired"? (we go on it for a b2b in Oct).

Anything u recommend we do on the ship in particular?

One thing I kept thinking all week. I know food tastes vary, but everyone I talked to thought the food was exceptional in the MDR. Some reviews had said it was "average". My wife and I kept joking about what those people must eat most of the time since if this is "average" then their food must be way more incredible than we are used to eating at home.

Our waiters (Ercan - from Turkey and Joseph - from Jamaica) were amazing and we kept them for the second half of the cruise as well. Tip: if you like a waiter in MTD you can request the same one all the time. In fact, they like it that way. We really missed them last night for our first dinner home. Now "that" food was average :)

Tom

Thanks Tom for getting back so quickly :)

Thats great that u have ur next cruise all booked up, happy sailings.

This was my first RC cruise and I found the food exceptionally good. The steaks and prime rib were cooked perfect and so were the lobster tails.

We had the best wait staff too... Rodson and Fellingham and Yuki was from bar service. Rodson and Fellingham got off the ship with us on Sunday as their contracts were up.