Currency

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times over but does everyone visiting several different countries is Cyprus, Israel, Greece,turkey. How does everyone do there currency but before you go small amounts if each? On board? Through bank card? Just interested to know as only ever been cruising in euro countries which was pretty straight forward

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times over but does everyone visiting several different countries is Cyprus, Israel, Greece,turkey. How does everyone do there currency but before you go small amounts if each? On board? Through bank card? Just interested to know as only ever been cruising in euro countries which was pretty straight forward

Definitely wouldn't buy on board - exchange rates aren't competitive. Israel I think you can't buy ahead but we managed fine with Euros. In turkey you may need some TL if you use local buses but otherwise again prices are usually displayed in €. In the bazaar they will take anything!

ATMs are a good idea as you can just draw out what you think you will need when you've assessed what you might spend and whether € will suffice. But check your bank charges - some have a set fee per transaction (perhaps £2.50) - not too bad if you want £100 but a huge cost to get £10 worth of currency.

There are threads on here about good cards to use for that purpose. We have a Halifax Clarity card which have no transaction charge - either set amount or % - but money withdrawals attract interest from the date of the transaction but at only about 1% p.m. I think the Nationwide also do a good card but I'm sure others will add to this.

If we need currency we get it before going, the onboard rate is poor.

It really depends what you are going to spend on and how much, in turkey the shops will take euros, pounds, dollars and don't seem to rip you off, however if you are getting buses you would need TL, I don't know how the taxi's work they may insist on TL as well.

When we did the trip in to Jerusalem and Bethlehem, they take dollars and euros at the shop they take you to for souvenirs, we never took any Shekels.

You would need them if going DIY though.

We only needed Shekels for the funicular railway in Haifa but there was a money changing machine at the station to change other currency into Shekels which you then needed to buy a token from the machine for the ride. I guess we used £ or € - I doubt we had anything else with us. Otherwise shops and cafes took € - I know we bought postcards and stamps too with something other than local currency as we only got enough for the railway. Hope that helps.

Great I will change done euros we are staying in turkey after the cruise so will have Turkish lira it's more I didn't want to have to change different amounts of different currencies and will carry my bank card also. Hoping the shuttle buses at Ashdod take euro ok thanks again for the helpful replies