Medical refrigerator question

First of all, thanks to whoever posted that RCI removed the mini-fridges from the E class cabins when they renovated the Legend of the Seas. Since I need a fridge to keep some medication cool, I would have been up a creek if I'd gotten on board and not had something to keep it in. As it was, my TA was able to request a medical refrigerator for us.

So my question is, what size is the refrigerator? The medication is in a box about 5" x 7" x 1", but I'm wondering how much space the fridge itself takes up, and where do they put it? Also, since it's something I use on Tuesdays, can I ask them to remove it once I'm done with it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kathy

First of all, thanks to whoever posted that RCI removed the mini-fridges from the E class cabins when they renovated the Legend of the Seas. Since I need a fridge to keep some medication cool, I would have been up a creek if I'd gotten on board and not had something to keep it in. As it was, my TA was able to request a medical refrigerator for us.

So my question is, what size is the refrigerator? The medication is in a box about 5" x 7" x 1", but I'm wondering how much space the fridge itself takes up, and where do they put it? Also, since it's something I use on Tuesdays, can I ask them to remove it once I'm done with it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kathy

The med fridge will be large enough to accommodate the box.

Yes you can ask the Cabin attendant to remove it.

I have traveled with Meds contained in a similar size box the required refrigeration and never request a medical cooler. What I do is take the medication out of the box and packed in zip-lock bags. Using 3 zip-lock bags the meds are placed in one bag zipped than placed in another bag zipped and than placed in bag 3 zipped. I place the bag in a nylon lunch cooler and than just request ice on a daily basis. Traveled the world when working using this method and never had an issue.

for those who have been on Navigator, we will be in a e-2 balcony cabin. Are there mini fridges in those?:confused:

There are coolers in all staterooms on Navigator.

Thanks you...one less thing I have to bring to keep the wife's diet coke cold. Gonna try and bring a six pack to keep in the room.

The coolers are filled with soda and snacks for purchase. They also don't keep things very cold. Some people bring a soft-sided cooler and ask the stateroom attendant to keep it filled with ice.

This will be a somewhat sarcastic response but most of the refrigerators on RCCL ships keep the contents slightly cooler than room temperature. If you really need to keep the medicine cold request from your room steward a medical refrigerator. They are about 1 cubic foot and either sit on the desk or we put it under the desk and it works great. They are also very quiet so you do not notice them when you are sleeping.

For some reason on Celebrity ships the refrigerators are cold so the do not have the medical ones available.

Thanks to all of you. I've only sailed Celebrity and Princess, so my experience with the minifridges is that they do keep things cold enough (around 40 degrees F), but I'm probably better off with a medical fridge anyways. If I were only needing to keep it cold for 1 night, I'd go with the cooler and ice, but since it's an 11-night cruise, I think I'd feel safer with a special fridge.

At least it solves the issue of whether or not to bring our own Coke Zero on board--nowhere to keep it cool so why bother.

Kathy

If keeping the meds cool is very important then consider talking a frio bag with you- we always take one to any hot (or very cold places to stop freezing- used in the atric) in case there is a power cut and the fridges stop working (esp relavent on a cruise or in developing countries. My daughter is talking hers camping next week.

Frio bags are made of a gel that is activated by soaking on cool water - the slow evaporation of this gels keeps the contents cool.-

Edited by fragilek

If keeping the meds cool is very important then consider talking a frio bag with you- we always take one to any hot (or very cold places to stop freezing- used in the atric) in case there is a power cut and the fridges stop working (esp relavent on a cruise or in developing countries. My daughter is talking hers camping next week.

Frio bags are made of a gel that is activated by soaking on cool water - the slow evaporation of this gels keeps the contents cool.-

I never head of a frio bag. Where do you get them?

Kathy

I also travel with medication that needs to be kept at fridge temps - 36 to 46 degrees - and also a once a week thing.

Have a frio cooler that I use for short trips - however it does not keep the meds at fridge temps - just keeps at a constant cool temp which as you know extreme fluxuation in temps is not good for meds. The medicine I take can be out of the fridge for a week as long as it is kept at a constant temp and then I have to use it. If that is the case for you then the frio will work. I got mine at Magellans travel supply.

I recently was on a six week trip - I got a cooler for that from Polar Bear coolers - check out their website and check on the medical coolers button. I got the cooler, blue gel container, techni ice, and indoor/outdoor thermometer(so I could track temperature and know if I needed to add ice to cooler). It worked great!!

Would not recommend the cooler for your short trip as it is too bulky but just for future info.

Hope this was helpful - also you should call the people that make your medicine to see if they have any suggestions.

On our last cruise, we had breakfast one morning with a bunch of other seniors, and were discussing our medications. One man was a retired pharmacist, and he said, for a short-term fix, put the medication in a glass and set it in the ice bucket, with ice half-way up the outside of the glass. That will keep it cool overnight. It wouldn't work for a long-term power failure though.

Kathy