Whatever happened too the Funphone idea??

Last year around this time Carnival was testing an app called "Funphone" on the Carnival Breeze. It was where you could have your phone set in airplane mode but still use the ships wifi to call or message your group on board using the app? The app is no longer available on google play or iphone so dont bother looking....so Im guessing the testing didnt go well.... has anyone ever heard what the problem was or if they are going to try again?????

Leaving on a group cruise coming up and something like that sure would have been nice to have.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

He posted a question to gauge interest in an app that would let you text and call people on the ship using the ship's wifi free of charge - I sampled the responses, and it seemed to be about 10 to 1 in favor of such an idea, and most of the people who said no did not quite understand the concept (a lot of the no's thought that they would be receiving incoming calls and texts and getting huge charges from their carrier). I would urge people to respond to the questions that he asks if you are interested in them, as it seems they are using his facebook page as a focus group of sorts.

I can't seem to find it. I have done several searches.

About half way down on the left https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald?fref=ts

Time for Sunday's quick fire round of questions. OK, here we go.

If we decided to put an App on the ship which when downloaded enabled you to text and call others on the ship who had downloaded the app for free..............would you use it ?

Yes or no please.

I would of loved to of had a way to text my wife during the cruise instead of walking all over looking for her...

Why look for her? Seems like the perfect opportunity to misbehave a little. You know the old saying "When the cat's away........" :rolleyes::D

Why look for her? Seems like the perfect opportunity to misbehave a little. You know the old saying "When the cat's away........" :rolleyes::D

I already got in trouble for making excuses to go to the CS desk to speak to the beautiful woman working there from Uzbekistan.......Figured I'd better stay near my wife.

I'd certainly be interested. We have Consumer Cellular so using our phones isn't even an option at any price. And we tried walkie talkies and they did not work at all for us. Yes this app would be a great idea. Hope they roll it out before our next cruise. Our daughter will be 15 and at the 02 club. I want to give her some freedom, but also want to keep tabs on her.

I'd certainly be interested. We have Consumer Cellular so using our phones isn't even an option at any price. And we tried walkie talkies and they did not work at all for us. Yes this app would be a great idea. Hope they roll it out before our next cruise. Our daughter will be 15 and at the 02 club. I want to give her some freedom, but also want to keep tabs on her.

I've never heard of this carrier. Are they only in your geographical area?

I've never heard of this carrier. Are they only in your geographical area?

They are nationwide. They don't have an unlimited plan, but for my husband and I and our daughter it's around $66 a month. We don't use that much so it's good for us.

This is a no-brainer idea for Carnival or any other line. They should just do it and promote it as absolutely FREE. No need for a survey. With the size of these ships this is more important than ever! :cool:

About half way down on the left https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald?fref=ts

Time for Sunday's quick fire round of questions. OK, here we go.

If we decided to put an App on the ship which when downloaded enabled you to text and call others on the ship who had downloaded the app for free..............would you use it ?

Yes or no please.

Here's the exact post.

I think its a fantastic idea and even better if its free. It would be nice if it only vibrated your device. As the only issue I can see is phones ringing during shows and even worse is folk carrying a phone conversation without leaving.

Norwegian Cruise Lines already has this app that works on all of their newer ships from the Epic on. I think that it's about $8 per person for the entire cruise. It makes it easy to keep up with others. It also lets you check your onboard account, reserve seating, look at the daily activities, etc.

I'd pay even more than $8 to keep up with my son! I hate looking for him at 2 am!

I agree. It'd definitely be worth it to us. As I said, we tried walkie talkies and they didn't work for us. Hope all the responses on John's Facebook page helps the "beards" decide to bring it back.

NCL has this on there NCL iConcierge App. The app is free to download and many of the features are free. However if you want to talk and text on the app, it cost $7.95 for the week and you get a number through the app that allows you to talk and text other cruisers. For those who want an idea of whats on the app and how it works just click the link. http://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_05132014.pdf

Right now its only on the Breakaway, Epic, Getaway, and Pearl but is being rolled out fleet wide this year.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

I voted yes too.

I still carry the darn thing everywhere, it functions as my main camera and my watch - even onboard! Plus we take advantage of the free wifi deck plans that are available too! So handy!

• 2 months later...