Sunscreen Advice--What Worked For Us (And a Bug Spray Report)

ducklite

I was very concerned about protecting my skin from burning. I typically burn badly if I am not careful. I had numerous questions about what type, how much, etc., and figured I'd share my experience with others who might have the same questions.

After doing a lot of research, I went with Neutrogena Wet Skin SPF 50 spray on sunscreen. We applied it before getting dressed every day, making sure to cover those spots like near the under arms, ears, and tops of feet that can be forgotten.

My husband used it on his face as well, I relied on my Keihl's face cream with SPF 30, which worked fine as regular sun screen on my face often causes break outs. I had a small sample size to take along and reapply after swimming as well.

One of my biggest questions before leaving was how much did I need? We went through almost two cans. Unless we were actually in the water or in the shade, we wore shirts, my husband wore Under Amour with no added UV protection (it takes a lot for him to burn) and I wore long sleeved rash guards with UV-50 protection. It was nice to have them to come back to after snorkeling, as we sometimes felt chilled. It was not hot while we were there, I think the hottest it got was mid-80's, but with low humidity and a breeze. We both brought hats, I wore mine a few times, my husband who has thinning hair wore his daily.

I had packed three cans of the Neutrogena, plus another can of SPF 30 in a different brand that had been given to me by a friend who works for one of the sunscreen manufacturers. We came home with two full and one almost empty can, and used one can completely.

If I were going back I would bring three full cans, especially if I were going during their hot months where I might be in the water and need to reapply a lot more.

We took the Trail of the Ancients trek with Dr. Eddowes and had come prepared with bug spray. I was very, very glad that I had bought some "high test" spray that was 25% DEET and repelled all sorts of things, because there were a lot of bugs on that mountain. The people who relied on the 8% stuff were getting eaten alive. We shared ours with a number of people, and I think eventually the cloud wafting off of all of us was enough to scare away anything that moved. That hike would have been miserable without really good bug spray. There's not a ton of sun on that excursion, other than on my face I'm not sure I even wore sunscreen that day, and I didn't burn.

To keep some of my comments relative, I live in Florida, so get a lot of sun and heat/humidity, and what feels warm/cool or bright/not bright to me might be very different than to someone who lives in Minnesota.

I've said for a dozens years now the best bug spray to use in French Polynesia is ............ drum roll please

http://www.buggspray.com

Get the vanilla scent with 25% deet.

Works well and guess what, you will smell 'Tahitian' ;)

Oh yay ............ it's made in Minnesota where the state bird is a mosquito :D

Agreed, Tiki. It's good stuff. We got some on your advice and we never saw a single bug. I heard of others being attacked but we seriously thought there were no bugs out while we were there.

Agreed, Tiki. It's good stuff. We got some on your advice and we never saw a single bug. I heard of others being attacked but we seriously thought there were no bugs out while we were there.

If you go check out their older reviews you will notice one of the very first, right after they started making the stuff, is a review/recommendation for Tiki :)

I was one of their 'first' :D

I get a free bottle for every one who mentions my name ........... just kidding, I'm glad to recommend something that really works well, as this stuff does.