NCL vs. RC single rooms

runner2013

Hi all,

I've been a couples cruiser for a while now but have started thinking about taking a solo trip for some 'me' time in the future. From what I can find so far it seems NCL ships Epic,Breakaway and Getaway offer single rooms and RC also has some singles on Radiance,Serenade and Brilliance. My question is for those of you who have sailed on both these lines in these rooms. Aside from the cost, which did you prefer more and why? For all the females did you feel safe? While I know everybody's taste is different I'm curious to know what others think. Sort of like looking at things from every angle. I'm a 46 year old woman, very comfortable traveling alone and keeping myself entertained.(reading by the pool all day with a drink is Heaven for me). More of an introvert than a chatty Cathy and I would be doing the my-time dining or open seating for meals.

Any input negative or positive greatly appreciated.

Re: RCCL : the ships that have single cabins have very few if fact only 3 or 4. I usually find booking a regular cabin as a solo on RCCL instead of one the SR Category cabins specifically designed as a single comes out cheaper and the added benefit of a larger cabin. Therefore you really need to do a cost comparison before actually booking a SR category cabin.

Re: NCCL's studio cabins come with the added amenity of having a dedicated lounge for studio cabins only which may be interest to you .

FYI - have done over 28 cruises solo (all over the world) and have always felt safe. In fact cruising solo is my preference of choice.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I cannot speak to which is better as I have only done RCCL solo. However, I got a regular balcony and just paid the "single supplement". I actually don't think of it as a single supplement, I just think of it as not splitting the cost of a room. Same thing but it does something to my mentality. Honestly, I wish cruise lines would just post the room fare so that us singles don't feel like we are paying more.

As for feeling safe - definitely! In fact, that is one reason I am completely sold on solo cruising now. I feel very safe. I personally stick to the ship excursions since I am traveling solo as well. However, for my recent Transatlantic cruise the roll call was extremely active and I did opt to do one stop with some folks from the roll call instead of an excursion. It turned out good.

Like you, I enjoy reading a good book while having a drink. Or just reading. So for me a cruise is ideal as I can participate in as much as I like, or just spend the time relaxing and reading. I usually opt for relaxing and reading. However, I am outgoing enough that it is easy for me to strike up a conversation when I choose.

I tried the fixed dining my last cruise and they sat me at a 4 top with a couple! So the next day I switched to My Time Dining. I prefer My Time. I get to meet different folks each night but I can also opt to sit alone if I am tired and not up for small talk. I have always enjoyed the folks I end up eating with although I really wish people would not ask me "have you ever been married". They have no clue how awkward and personal that question is. Other than that, I always have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've traveled solo and studio on both, once on RCCL, where I'm one trip away from diamond, and NCL. RCCL is about the same per night, possibly a little cheaper, but IMHO, NCL wins hands down. First, the NCL studios are on new ships chock full of amenities like top shelf entertainment, varied restaurant options. RCCL put 3 studios on older ships. The NCL studios have a studio lounge for evening get together a and a dedicated solo cruise director who acts as a concierge and arranges group dinners. Hands down, NCL!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My , so far, only cruise was in a studio cabin on the NCL Epic. Apart from the funky colors it is a microcosm of solo-only passengers. I can highly recommend it. But the ship's style was a bit too relaxed for my style.

Klaus