Splash academy for 12 year olds

ginaf

My son has always enjoyed the "kids room" throughout the years especially on the disney ships. Our last two cruise on the breakaway he didn't even look at it. In August we will be on the getaway and I'm hoping he will give it a try. He will be turning 13 in November and starting the 8th grade in sept so he feels it will be to babyish for him. Does anyone have dailies for that age group? Anyone else have kids that feel the same?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just went on the Getaway. My son is 12 will be 13 in two weeks. Honestly he did not care for Splash Academy. This was our first NCL cruise and he said he liked it better on Royal and Carnival. I have to give him credit for trying, he just thought it was boring.

On the other hand, my 8 year old loved his group. First thing in the morning he wanted to go and begged to stay when it was time to leave.

I think it's hit or miss. My daughter loved it at 12. I think she participated in every single activity. At 13, she ended up just hanging out with friends she met at the teen club and that was it. I think she participated in 1 activity.

Just got home from the Pearl and my 5, 10 and 14 year olds love the splash academy and entourage. My 12 year old did not like the splash academy and was too young for the entourage. She is tall and felt too old to be with the younger kids. For some it wouldn't matter (my 10 year old will not care when she is 12) but for her although she tried it a few times she just couldn't get into it. I don't think it is the fault of the program as much as 12 is just a funny age for kids (she was not amused with having to parade around the ship dressed as a pirate with her 5 year old brother)

My 12 YO is very disappointed she can not go to the teen club like she did on Royal. She is tall and mature for her age.

I agree 12 is a hard age not a kid and not a teen yet.

We sail in a couple weeks and I will do a review since so many of them have helped me.

What makes it worst is she will be with her 10YO brother.

It's an age thing. Our first cruise was DCL, and my oldest, 11 at the time, hated the kids club. On our next cruise (NCL), she was 14, and loved the teen club. My 12 year old didn't like it at all, but my 7 and 9 year olds liked their group. Next cruise (NCL), my 2 teens loved the teen club (spent a lot of time just hanging with their new friends too), but my 10 and 12 year olds didn't like the kids club (to be fair, my dd's are bff's, so if the 12 year old didn't like it, the 10 year old wasn't going to go).

I think it's one of the toughest years for the clubs.

• 1 month later...

Highly unlikely they will let her. We were in the same situation earlier this month. But we also didn't want her with 17 year olds either. You might luck out and have a bunch of 12 year olds on your cruise though, so encourage her to go the first night.

My two daughters have always loved the splash academy. This cruise in Sept. my oldest is 12. I am not sure how she will feel about it this time but I hope she enjoys some time there. If not we will have to deal with it the best we can because one thing I know. That NCL is 100% non negotiable when it comes to the age policies for kids. I've heard this conversation many times over the years and have never seen them bend the rules for anyone. I guess it has to be like that. We all think our kids are special and want them to be able to do what they want. For NCL they just know that every kid in their care is equal with no favoritism. That is most important. That's not to say they couldn't take a look at their policies, listen to parents a little, and make some adjustments that may very well be appropriate.

Some of these kids that feel they are oh-so-mature need to realize that they aren't. I don't know any 12 year old girls who are ready to be socializing and hanging out with 16 and 17 year old boys. If there are parents trying to put them in that situation, shame on them.

My two daughters have always loved the splash academy. This cruise in Sept. my oldest is 12. I am not sure how she will feel about it this time but I hope she enjoys some time there. If not we will have to deal with it the best we can because one thing I know. That NCL is 100% non negotiable when it comes to the age policies for kids. I've heard this conversation many times over the years and have never seen them bend the rules for anyone. I guess it has to be like that. We all think our kids are special and want them to be able to do what they want. For NCL they just know that every kid in their care is equal with no favoritism. That is most important. That's not to say they couldn't take a look at their policies, listen to parents a little, and make some adjustments that may very well be appropriate.

Totally makes sense. I know she will be disappointed to be separate from her sister, but hey she can make some new friends! Thanks!

As for NCL being non flexible on the age policy, we just got off the Pearl on Sunday and my son turned 10 on the 1st day of the cruise and he was allowed to choose which group to join (6-9 or 10-12). He chose the younger group because he has a fear of being bullied and loved it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We were just on the Breakaway. My daughter was 12, turning 13 in less than a month. First she asked at Entourage if she could be in the teen club. Yes, she personally asked herself. They told her no. They are not allowed to make any exceptions. Her brother was there, 14 years old. And she tried to persuade the counselor that she would be with him so it would be "fine". Nope.

As far as Splash Academy, she did go and we registered her. Once she saw the schedule, and the room and had to wear the wristband, she never went back. She went on our cruise last summer on the Epic, and said she was put with little kids and treated like a baby. She didn't want theme parties and dress up games. She wanted to do the type of things on the schedule her brother had in the teen club.

He went every night, and some afternoons. She never went back to Splash. I agree that 12 is a very difficult age. I would love to see a 12-15 grouping. And then just have the older kids hang out. It was let's say interesting to hear some of the things that went on in the teen club....after the fact.

We were just on the Breakaway. My daughter was 12, turning 13 in less than a month. First she asked at Entourage if she could be in the teen club. Yes, she personally asked herself. They told her no. They are not allowed to make any exceptions. Her brother was there, 14 years old. And she tried to persuade the counselor that she would be with him so it would be "fine". Nope.

As far as Splash Academy, she did go and we registered her. Once she saw the schedule, and the room and had to wear the wristband, she never went back. She went on our cruise last summer on the Epic, and said she was put with little kids and treated like a baby. She didn't want theme parties and dress up games. She wanted to do the type of things on the schedule her brother had in the teen club.

He went every night, and some afternoons. She never went back to Splash. I agree that 12 is a very difficult age. I would love to see a 12-15 grouping. And then just have the older kids hang out. It was let's say interesting to hear some of the things that went on in the teen club....after the fact.

I agree 11/12 is a tough age - all of my kids have opted out of the clubs at that age. However, once your kids are 16/17, you will really appreciate the fact that there is a club for them. Honestly, I don't think my 17 year old would've even come on our last cruise without knowing there was a club to go to (her previous club experience was at 14, and she was dreading the cruise, until she got there, and met new friends).

On our next cruise, she will be 18 or older, so we might have to bring a friend for her. I hear that's an awkward age on a cruise.