Seattle Area

meh56

We are taking a cruise from Seattle in August. We have been to Seattle before and are looking the extend our trip for a few days. Can anyone tell me if there is a nice resort within an hour or two of Seattle that we could go to for a couple of days. If we decide to stay in the city, is there any form of transportation to get out to Boeing so we can do the tour? We are pretty independent and not looking for a bus tour. There are 4 of us so we could rent a car if that is the only option.

what kind of experience are you looking for? only 1 or 2 hrs away?

I mean if you're willing to rent a car, you could go to the ocean in about 3 hrs, or Mt Rainer or Mt St Helens, or Woodinville wine country, or the Snoqualmie Falls Lodge, or Port Townsend . Many many options.

Perhaps borrow a Washington travel book from your library to learn more about the possibilities. Did you check the 2 web sites I recently posted ... at least one of them includes info outside Seattle.

Or check the State web site:

http://www.experiencewa.com/

We are taking a cruise from Seattle in August. We have been to Seattle before and are looking the extend our trip for a few days. Can anyone tell me if there is a nice resort within an hour or two of Seattle that we could go to for a couple of days.

Alderbrook Resort on the Hood Canal is gorgeous, and very nice.

The Inn at Langley on Whidbey Island is also lovely, and the restaurant gets great reviews.

I don't know if you'd be able to get reservations--it's wildly popular--but the Willows Inn on Lummi Island is making foodies swoon. They have accommodations that are said to be quite nice, but the big draw is the food, which is said to be world-class.

Willows Lodge in Woodinville isn't on the water like the others, but it's in the middle of the Woodinville wine country--lots of wine tasting nearby. Their restaurant, the Barking Frog, is great, but another of the Northwest's iconic restaurants is right nearby: The Herbfarm.

If we decide to stay in the city, is there any form of transportation to get out to Boeing so we can do the tour? We are pretty independent and not looking for a bus tour. There are 4 of us so we could rent a car if that is the only option.

If you don't want to do a bus tour, then renting a car is probably your only option. Getting there by public transportation would be WAY more trouble than it's worth.

Langley on Whidbey Island is a good recommendation; however counting ferry waits and crossing times, it's right at the 2-hour limit of your radius.

If you didn't mind downgrading your accommodation options from "resort" to "good hotel," then I'd suggest you look at the Silver Cloud Inn in Mukilteo. Mukilteo is a cute town around 30 min. from Seattle - nice little lighthouse, good beach for picnicking, several decent casual places to eat, and the Silver Cloud sits right over the water, a couple of doors from the Whidbey Island ferry dock.

Based there, you can take a day trip to Whidbey Island - visit the cute towns of Langley and Coupeville, or take a second short ferry ride to Port Townsend, or drive up Whidbey to Deception Pass, the stunning channel between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands, where at tide change the water really roars through.

Mukilteo is also 10 minutes from the Boeing Everett plant, where you can tour the flight line and the biggest building in the world, where the wide-body jets are built.

It's convenient, comfortable, affordable, and will give you a real sense of the Puget Sound country.

Edited by Gardyloo

I would go to Mount Rainier and stay at the Paradise Lodge. There is nothing like Mount Rainier. The lodge has been recently updated and is beautiful. There are many places in the USA where you can stay at a waterfront resort and/or take a scenic drive, but there is only one Mount Rainier. The scenery cannot be matched for mountain beauty. The weather at your travel dates should be sunny and warm. The wildflower meadows should be in full bloom. I've traveled throughout the U.S. and this is by far my favorite national park.