Biking to Majahual

betsybug

Here are a few tips for those who want to bike on the trail to the village of Majahual at the Costa Maya port.

The bike rental is outside the fake pier area where the taxis are. Cost is $10/2 hours and $15/day. The bikes are adult size sturdy mountain trail bikes with adequate tires for the trail. About half have adjustable seats.

You can see the sea trail from the ship. It runs north to Majahual. The problem is finding the trail head at the pier. We found two ways. I recommend #1.
1. Start at parking lot - go left from the bike trail to the end of the parking lot. You will see a broken up littered trail. Take the left lane. (The right lane immediately end in a barbed wire fence.) At this point the trail is hardpacked and easy to ride. About 50 yards up on the left side there is a small path through the bushes. It is not marked. That path in 50 feet takes you to the sea trail.

2. Enter off the beach - go back through the pier village to the front of the beach restaurant. Head to the end of the village around the last shop/huts. The trail starts there. This route requires you to get off the bike to walk through some beach sand.

The ride to the edge of Mahajual at Tequila Beach takes 10 minutes. We rode all the way to the north of the village to a shady beach across from Blue Ha Diving. That total ride one way was 22 minutes. Along the way are several private beach bard with chairs. I recommend going past the cruise crowds on the village beach and picking one of the beach bars. We found a shady spot and asked a man sitting there if we could use his beach. He charged us nothing and there was a palapa with a table and a free beach with no one on it.

It was fun and I enjoyed it. It was peaceful and we had almost no vehicle on the village dirt road. The only irritations are the many "speed bumbs" in the village. These were thick marine ropes across the dirt road. My husband complained of a sore bottom from the hard bike seats and the bumping over the ropes.

Archived