Train station to Osaka Pier

Sumar76

We are sailing on the cruise to Osaka right before you and I have been investigationg the transportation from the pier to our Kyoto hotel. The pier is Tempozan and you would take a subway to the Osakako exit from Shin-Osaka train station. You can go to http://urbanrail.net/as/osak/osaka.htm for a subway map of Osaka. I think that it would take less than 30 minutes. The walk to the pier doesn't look to be more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Jenni

• 4 weeks later...

Yes all is set. I will be flying into Tokyo on October 8th. On October 11th, I am taking the bullet train to Kyoto. Do some sightseeing in the afternoon ... I have a goodwill guide to take us around town. On 12th, I will take the train from Kyoto to Osaka. Leaving Beijing on the 26th.

It is sure coming close to vacation time :-)

spunkymoldy... we will be in Osaka in 2006 and are very interested in information about your goodwill guide for Kyoto and/or Osaka.

Hate to take all the luggage to Kyoto for an overnight, then take it back to Osaka for our flight home... so we're thinking of staying in Osaka a few days and taking the bullet train to Kyoto for a day of sightseeing. Is that what you're doing?

Sandy

Here is the link for all the goodwill guides in Japan.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/GJ/travelSupport/list_volunteerGuides.html

The guides are free and you pay only the guides transportation and other expenses that may come up eg. admission fee.

Since I am coming from Tokyo, we decided to spend the night in Kyoto since there seems to be alot to see. The next day we will take the train from Kyoto to Osaka port (40 minutes).

Your plan to stay in Osaka is probably the best way. LIke you said it does not make sense to drag the luggage around. Besides Kyoto is not that far from Osaka.

The goodwill guides are a wonderful idea and a great way to see Japan.

I absolutely agree with your intention to spend more time in Kyoto and Nara than in Osaka. Nara was the 9th century capital of Japan and Kyoto was the 10-16th century capital. Gorgeous buildings and art work, including both Shinto and Buddhist. Sadly, there is far to much to do, to see, and to experience in those places for just a single day. For Nara, make sure to visit the Buddhist temple and grounds. This includes the tame deer - they eat rice cakes out of your hand (and will try for pockets if you are not careful), but only after they rrequest food by bowing. For Kyoto, far and away the best is the Nijo castle (Nijo-jo,wonderful screen art and the famous "nightengale" floors.) For me, Osaka has very little of interest (primarily Osaka castle and the aquarium).

Since you will be doing this on your own with a goodwill guide, please be sure to prepare beforehand. Fodors and Frommers have decent sections on Kyoto and Nara and what to see and do and where to eat, etc. My personal choice is the Insight Guide, which has unusually good sections on history, art, culture, religion, cuisine, etc.

Spunky Moldy: I was interested in the website you listed for the Friendship guides. However, I could not get it to come up. Do you have another suggestion. We are thinking of taking a HAL cruise and thought this type of arrangement would be interesting. Thanks. hmh

I am taking the October 12, 2005 Diamond Princess cruise from Osaka to Xangang Beijing). Could anyone tell me how may I get from Osaka airport to the cruise port? Princess is charging US$90x2 for the transfer. I hear some people it would be a lot cheaper to take a taxi from the airport to the pier. I will appreciate any information from you experienced people.

Hi Newsboy...Let me know if you find anything out....I will be arriving on the Bullet train to Osaka, the day of the cruise, and am not sure which way to get to pier either. So although you are coming from airport, and me the train station, good to know options.

Are you getting all ready? Only a couple of weeks to go!

I'm finally trying to get all my plans together...

Sumar76,

Not quite. There are still 14 days to go. I have to fly to Hong Kong for one night stay and fly out to Osaka the next day.

I found out from the travel agent, the fare for a one day tour of Kyoto from Osaka cost Yan $14,000. which is about US$135 or so. so I believe the taxi fare from Osaka airport to the pier should not over that (I hope !).

I am taking the next leg of the cruise from Xangang to Bangkok, so Iwill miss out Beijing, which I have never been.

38 years I arrived by car in Kyoto from Osaka at around 9:00 PM in late July and it was getting dark, so I never saw anything except to have a nice dinner, and I had to leave the next morning on business.

• 2 months later...

The connection from the Shinkansen Station is an easy one, and the subway terminus is very close to the pier. However, you should be aware that carrying luggage (especially the volume of luggage that cruisers carry) on subway trains is quite difficult and often frowned upon.

It would be far better to catch a taxi from the Shinkansen Station to the pier.

Archived