Verizon iphone data roaming onboard

jp12687

Hey All,

I leave on the splendor next week. My company requires I stay in contact (I know it's a vacation blah blah blah but disconnecting isn't an option and they pay for it)....my question is what kind of data network is on board?

I'm assuming it's old 1x speeds and usually 1x while in the US data doesn't work but will it on the cruise?

Most important is iMessages working, emails, and Facebook (that ones for me) I'm ok if it's slow just want to know what to expect in terms of it working...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your best bet is to buy an internet package. I think you will get 3x data on the ship, but it's crazy expensive. The ship's internet, while slow (and real high latency, due to the satellite connection) will be cheaper and allow you to access all of those over wifi.

Yea I've actually done the math and VZW offers a $25/100mb plan which based on my us have will be cheaper than wifi minutes and less hassle...which is why I'm curious about peoples findings about it

Thanks

While the data package is only $25/100MB, you will still be able to get calls and texts (since you're technically on an international roaming plan), so your bill might be much higher than you expect using the cellular connection. Even if you don't answer your phone, and get a voicemail, I've heard stories about people being charged by the minute for the time that people are leaving messages and such.

Voice rates are $2.49 a minute on Verizon, and the texts are $.05 to receive and $.50 to send.

I guess if you need to be connected 24x7 and not just turn on the wifi every little bit to check messages, the data plan might be the way to go, as Carnival doesn't care how much data you use, they just charge by the minute...

Edited by CoconutJD

I'm ok with those rates as my company picks up the tab as they require my connection. So my question is really about quality of the service provided

Do you know if iMessage works over the speed?

It should. Like i said, i'm pretty sure the speeds are 3G. But there will be a lot of extra latency due to the satellite connection.

The majority of people I've seen use the Carnival wifi, and not the international data, but I'm sure there are people who need to be connected and have used it. I don't remember seeing any reviews or anything about the cellular connections.

Yea I'm having issues finding the data reviews as well. Logging on and off of wifi cause it's time based just seems like a lot of work and my company wants me responding within 2-3 hours so hats a lot of logging on and off haha

Thanks. That appears to be wifi based not cell network based...anyone have experience with it?

Oh sorry. If you want reviews of your carrier's coverage on the ship, just search for wmsatsea reviews. All land data and voice cellular traffic goes through the same connection...not at 3G speed but at 1G speed (under 56kbps). Also remember that 25MB doesn't go very far depending, of course, on what you are doing. They offer examples of msn.com or typical newsite homes pages as 5.5MB (or $21). So, even if the company pays be careful of what you do with your internet connection. I'm not sure how much data gets sent by iMessage when first starting up and while it is running. Messaging apps have to register your status and maintain that status while it is open. Consider that if you have to maintain an open message channel versus using the $.50 text messaging.

I have used the onboard wifi and was able to sent Skype messages easily, and even did a short (pretty crappy) voice chat. But don't count on voice streaming to work very well. Also consider while in port using a free wi-fi connection to make streaming voice calls for $.02 per minute using Skype or Google Voice for your personal use as an alternative to cellular roaming (depending on where you are going). Some ports like San Juan and St. Thomas are included on domestic cellular coverage.

It astounds me how much misinformation there is on this subject. I used the $25 global plan on Verizon and did not have the huge bill everyone warns about. The speed was great. iMessage worked perfectly. I used Carnival's wifi on my first cruise and it was slower than old school dial up. If you have any questions, let me know.

Does your company know they will cause you to have $1000's (yes I said $1000's) of dollars in bills due to Data Roaming??? Your phone will continually try to update and down load ..... International Roaming package will NOT protect you from phone bills in the many $1000.

I avoided this my taking my iPad that only works if wifi is available... No cell bill involved! All you need to do is purchase minutes from the ship but you don't get charged for all the data.

This way your employer can get you by e-mail and if you get an International Texting plan (really cheap) they can Text you when you are off the ship. Just check your e-mail several times a day!

And you and your employer don't get a $3,000 phone bill.... I'm pretty sure your employer would have a cow and has no idea what kind of bill you could end up with ;)

Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It astounds me how much misinformation there is on this subject. I used the $25 global plan on Verizon and did not have the huge bill everyone warns about. The speed was great. iMessage worked perfectly. I used Carnival's wifi on my first cruise and it was slower than old school dial up. If you have any questions, let me know.

Sorry but this does happen and due to my carelessness I was able to stop if at $800.... Thank god I got back to my cabin and realized my iPhone was updating as we sailed away from port. You need to be very very careful about the settings and roaming Internationally - which sadly what happened to me!

We had been in South America for 2 weeks so upon getting to Key West I was finally able to use my phone. At sail away from that port I thought I turned the data roaming off and put it into Airplane mode.... Went to dinner and my phone went nuts in that hour plus time :(

I just caution all cruisers to know exactly what can happen, get proper plans and understand those plans and the settings on your phone.

Misinformation ?? No I don't think so, rather a tale of caution!

THANKS! this is what i was looking for. I have actually tracked my usage recently and if i don't turn off any of my background apps ability to pull data i use 700mb a week or $175 which is still a better deal than 240min of wifi...

did Facebook update well?

thanks,

Does your company know they will cause you to have $1000's (yes I said $1000's) of dollars in bills due to Data Roaming??? Your phone will continually try to update and down load ..... International Roaming package will NOT protect you from phone bills in the many $1000.

I avoided this my taking my iPad that only works if wifi is available... No cell bill involved! All you need to do is purchase minutes from the ship but you don't get charged for all the data.

This way your employer can get you by e-mail and if you get an International Texting plan (really cheap) they can Text you when you are off the ship. Just check your e-mail several times a day!

And you and your employer don't get a $3,000 phone bill.... I'm pretty sure your employer would have a cow and has no idea what kind of bill you could end up with ;)

Just sayin....

I have spoken to VZW and their $25/100mb plan works on this ship. i have tracked my data and over an 8 day period at MOST (i have done this for several 8 day periods with full background refreshes and push email) i use 700mb or $175.

The issue is if you DONT have the $25/100 plan its some stupid about per mm which adds up to thousands of dollars.

Facebook was a little slow loading but it did update. Turning off background apps that you won't be using should save a little on usage. Also, if you change email settings from push to manual fetch will help, too.

Facebook was a little slow loading but it did update. Turning off background apps that you won't be using should save a little on usage. Also, if you change email settings from push to manual fetch will help, too.

yea i had planned on turning off background updates on everything and doing a 15-30min fetch cycle on emails

thanks,

THANKS! this is what i was looking for. I have actually tracked my usage recently and if i don't turn off any of my background apps ability to pull data i use 700mb a week or $175 which is still a better deal than 240min of wifi...

did Facebook update well?

thanks,

How many minutes of the ships internet do you think you can get away with?

Bill