Mexico Cruises Must be POPULAR!

jwalk03

Holy smokes, those 3 cruise to Baja must be popular. The price of the cheapest Inside has gone from $1700 to $2200 in 2 days!! And balconies have gone from $2200 to $2700!

I'm glad I put a hold on a room when I looked on Wednesday. I was unsure if I really wanted to book, and I still am, but I think I am going to bite the bullet and pay the deposit so I can lock in the lower price just in case we decide to take this trip.

I think a LOT of people have holds placed.

But the cruises are popular and sell out quickly because for those of us in Arizona, California and the rest of the west can drive or fly there much more cheaply than to Florida....so we usually grab them when we can. I did.

Darn it!!!! I was so excited about the west coast cruises. Looked at them and was very ineterested but didn't book. Now they are MORE expensive. :( I think there are plenty of people on the west coast itching to cruise. The cruise ships we do get out here are usually some of the worst for any cruise line and they tend to be get the worst reviews on CC. When we see a good cruise on the west coast we jump on it!

We live in Arizona, and as soon as I saw that they were going out of San Diego, we booked. We have wanted to go on a DCL for a long time, so we jumped at this opportunity. It will be the first cruise for our kids, but the second for DH and myself. We took a Carnival cruise out of LB last year. We are beyond excited!

We just booked for the October 4th cruise! So excited! Our first Disney Cruise was in 2012 to Bahamas and we had to pay so much for our flight! We live an hour away from San Diego, so we're all so excited! And I recruited four other families to join us! We booked ours last Thursday and so glad we did!

Holy smokes, those 3 cruise to Baja must be popular. The price of the cheapest Inside has gone from $1700 to $2200 in 2 days!! And balconies have gone from $2200 to $2700!

I'm glad I put a hold on a room when I looked on Wednesday. I was unsure if I really wanted to book, and I still am, but I think I am going to bite the bullet and pay the deposit so I can lock in the lower price just in case we decide to take this trip.

It's summer pricing! We haven't sailed with Disney for a long time, but I keep looking to take our youngest kids on at least ONE Disney ship. The last time we cruised with them we were looking at going over Christmas break (I know Christmas is peak, like summer), but ended up taking our only son at the time out of school for a January cruise. Three of us cruised for the price of one going in mid-January as opposed to December. I rarely cruise summer anymore due to the obvious price gouging when kids are out of school, but I realize as the kids get older it's more difficult to miss school. Glad you got your price hold in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's summer pricing! We haven't sailed with Disney for a long time, but I keep looking to take our youngest kids on at least ONE Disney ship. The last time we cruised with them we were looking at going over Christmas break (I know Christmas is peak, like summer), but ended up taking our only son at the time out of school for a January cruise. Three of us cruised for the price of one going in mid-January as opposed to December. I rarely cruise summer anymore due to the obvious price gouging when kids are out of school, but I realize as the kids get older it's more difficult to miss school. Glad you got your price hold in.

Summer pricing? The Mexico cruises are in October.

I'm finding the biggest (maybe only) downside to cruising out of San Diego is the price of hotels. We always arrive for every cruise the day before, in San Diego, we like two days ahead to look around a little.

We used to stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay...which was right on the bay, straight across the street from the terminal. It is now a Wyndham, and the price per night is in the neighborhood of $300!! :eek:

There are other hotels, all similarly priced, not as close to everything.

And then there are some really crummy motels.

Decisions, decisions. If we drive over, we can stay further away, but then pay for parking, and also try to find (and pay for) parking while we tour around.

If we fly in, we have transportation costs also. More than we did before, when all we had to do was walk across the street with our bags, from the former Holiday Inn. :(

I'm finding the biggest (maybe only) downside to cruising out of San Diego is the price of hotels. We always arrive for every cruise the day before, in San Diego, we like two days ahead to look around a little.

We used to stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay...which was right on the bay, straight across the street from the terminal. It is now a Wyndham, and the price per night is in the neighborhood of $300!! :eek:

Decisions, decisions. If we drive over, we can stay further away, but then pay for parking, and also try to find (and pay for) parking while we tour around.

If we fly in, we have transportation costs also. More than we did before, when all we had to do was walk across the street with our bags, from the former Holiday Inn. :(

Brother-in-law is currently stationed in San Diego and has an aot of base, so I am hoping he doesn't go anywhere before next year so he can pick us from the airport and give us a place to stay to avoid the crazy hotel prices!

Summer pricing? The Mexico cruises are in October.

I suppose they mark up rates in summer for fall when more people are looking, too. Maybe they will come down again in September after school starts and vacation planning slows back down. I know our usual line changes rates frequently and offers lots of holiday pricing and specials.

Since we are discussing pricing, does DCL lower your price if they drop the price of your cabin category? I am so used to getting OBC now. I would hate to book a more expensive cruise and then have them drop the price without matching. I loved the shows on DCL (and would pay more to see them) but would not want to watch them on every cruise I take. It has been so long I am sure I would love them all over again even if we did a cruise to nowhere!

Since we are discussing pricing, does DCL lower your price if they drop the price of your cabin category?

Disney cruise prices very rarely EVER go down. I've heard of some that have, and people did get the difference as a credit, but they had to jump through hoops to do so.

The only time we've had "surprise" credits were when the port fees or taxes went down, then we were notified by DCL.

I suppose they mark up rates in summer for fall when more people are looking, too. Maybe they will come down again in September after school starts and vacation planning slows back down. I know our usual line changes rates frequently and offers lots of holiday pricing and specials.

Since we are discussing pricing, does DCL lower your price if they drop the price of your cabin category? I am so used to getting OBC now. I would hate to book a more expensive cruise and then have them drop the price without matching. I loved the shows on DCL (and would pay more to see them) but would not want to watch them on every cruise I take. It has been so long I am sure I would love them all over again even if we did a cruise to nowhere!

I doubt it. I have not seen a Disney cruise price drop yet. If a cruise isn't filling quick enough they just add special GTY or military or resident rates to sell more cabins. Base prices don't really drop in my experience.

Nothing like Carnival's bargain basement pricing game where you can get a new price and onboard credit every other day!

Well I guess that means I'll be on the DCL site much less than the CCL site checking for price adjustments, LOL. It is sometimes annoying, especially on the board when people are posting their constant drops and you aren't in the category with the drop. It was pretty easy picking a cruise last time with DCL, but now with more ships and itineraries to pick from I need to find a good comparison thread.

ITA. The hotels close to the port/downtown are not great and super expensive. I also would avoid the area called "hotel circle." Old town has some cute hotels and it is a fun place to stay but they are also pricey. But there are the hop on/hop off tour busses from old town so it is easy to stay there and get all over SD. I think the best value are the beach hotels in the north coastal san diego area. Carlsbad/encinitas, and maybe even oceanside (30 miles north of the port).

ITA. The hotels close to the port/downtown are not great and super expensive. I also would avoid the area called "hotel circle." Old town has some cute hotels and it is a fun place to stay but they are also pricey. But there are the hop on/hop off tour busses from old town so it is easy to stay there and get all over SD. I think the best value are the beach hotels in the north coastal san diego area. Carlsbad/encinitas, and maybe even oceanside (30 miles north of the port).

I found this...it's not necessarily close to the port, but they do have a shuttle and a cruise parking package. We haven't decided if we're driving or flying yet, both have their plusses and minuses. But this place looks cute and clean, and the prices are quite a bit lower than most. They have an extra fee, but it includes a discount booklet with the Trolley Tour and other things, which we'd hoped to do anyway.

http://www.halfmooninn.com/

Disney cruise prices very rarely EVER go down. I've heard of some that have, and people did get the difference as a credit, but they had to jump through hoops to do so.

The only time we've had "surprise" credits were when the port fees or taxes went down, then we were notified by DCL.

Same here. We had our balance automatically reduced, but it was only $12. because of a reduction in port fees.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Disney try sending the Dream and/or Fantasy over to the Pacific once the Canal is expanded and their PC contract runs out.

I think this is extremely unlikely. PC is and always will be their bread and butter. Getting people to combine WDW trip with a DCL is very very profitable for the company.

I realize SoCa has DisneyLand that could be used for a similar purpose, but only on a smaller scale, and as long as Disney only has 4 ships they won't be parking too many ships in one port year round other than PC. I could see a more regular presence in Cal. from the Magic or Wonder offering more Mexico cruises either before or after the Alaska season in the coming years though. I think Mexico is on the upswing as a cruise destination in general though after a very very bad few years for them.

Edited by jwalk03

I found this...it's not necessarily close to the port, but they do have a shuttle and a cruise parking package. We haven't decided if we're driving or flying yet, both have their plusses and minuses. But this place looks cute and clean, and the prices are quite a bit lower than most. They have an extra fee, but it includes a discount booklet with the Trolley Tour and other things, which we'd hoped to do anyway.

http://www.halfmooninn.com/

We stayed here before their remodel, when my brother graduated from Marine boot camp. Clean, but it definitely photographed better than we experienced. The suites are small 1 bedroom condos, looking over a bay with small boats. For example, look at the fridge in the suites picture--that level of basic finishings. It works, though, for a pre-cruise stay. :) I would stay there again if the price was right.

Hope that helps! Check out tripadvisor for more recent reviews. :)

We stayed here before their remodel, when my brother graduated from Marine boot camp. Clean, but it definitely photographed better than we experienced. The suites are small 1 bedroom condos, looking over a bay with small boats. For example, look at the fridge in the suites picture--that level of basic finishings. It works, though, for a pre-cruise stay. :) I would stay there again if the price was right.

Hope that helps! Check out tripadvisor for more recent reviews. :)

Thanks!

I've read quite a few reviews and it seems like a lot of people have a preferred room location for view...but since it's only one or two nights I'm not too concerned about that. Clean and a good price work for this trip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I think this is extremely unlikely. PC is and always will be their bread and butter. Getting people to combine WDW trip with a DCL is very very profitable for the company.

I realize SoCa has DisneyLand that could be used for a similar purpose, but only on a smaller scale, and as long as Disney only has 4 ships they won't be parking too many ships in one port year round other than PC. I could see a more regular presence in Cal. from the Magic or Wonder offering more Mexico cruises either before or after the Alaska season in the coming years though. I think Mexico is on the upswing as a cruise destination in general though after a very very bad few years for them.

Yeah thats true. I dont think DCL will ever leave PC. I just think that at some point in time one of those ships will have to leave. Just to mix things up. But, then again I know very little about all this..

I haven't been following Disney as close as I usually do the past few years, but isn't the reason the Wonder came back to the Atlantic was because of Mexico? I know when the Dream came, the company had planned to keep the Wonder permanently in the west for long term- or at least that was the rumor.

Edited by jrm116