Questions re: Breakaway

greenjello

Hello. Thank you in advance for your help. I am leaving TOMMORROW on a group cruise on the Breakaway. (So excited)... I am wondering if I get to the port before my roommate will I be allowed to board by myself or does everyone in the room need to be there together?Also, any advice you have on the most affordable way to use an iPhone to stay in touch with family at home is appreciated. One more thing~ where on the ship do you go to purchase Vibe passes? Thanks !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hello. Thank you in advance for your help. I am leaving tommorrow on a group cruise on the breakaway. (so excited)... I am wondering if i get to the port before my roommate will i be allowed to board by myself or does everyone in the room need to be there together? i am not sure, sorry...

also, any advice you have on the most affordable way to use an iphone to stay in touch with family at home is appreciated.the use of the phone in your room is cheaper then using your iphone. When i was on the BA they had a special price. And in bermuda there is a wi-fi package you can buy at the dockyard. If your room is located on the dockyard side you will even get wi-fi in your room

one more thing~ where on the ship do you go to purchase vibe passes? vibe pass tend to sell very quickly, in most case you have to be in the few first group to board the ship. You buy them at the guess services desk in the atrium ( center of ship ) deck 6 thanks !!!

Sent from my iphone using forums

have fun !

Edited by sebas030

Unless we had an outdated sign in our staterooms, the in-cabin calling rate to shore on the Breakaway - back in our late March sailing - is (was) $4.99 per minute via ship-to-shore satellite phone. Which, typically, is higher than cellular rates even with NCL's partnering MTN or Cellular At Sea calling rates on one's participating mobile carrier. CCL now charged only $1.99 per minute when calling from the ship to land.

Check with your carrier (VZW, AT&T or T-Mobile) about their current rates and whether they have any new/package plans - per minutes charges had been lowered for competitive reasons as otherwise, nobody bothered using it except for "real" emergencies. Prepaid plans or MNVO usually do NOT work onboard the ship and in foreign ports as it's carrier-specific, check before sailing. If you plan to make/receive call in foreign ports, make sure your international roaming is enabled in the carrier's profile for billing purposes. If not "provisioned" for, your calls might be blocked and failed to go thru - until you can reach the carrier's help desk to change/reset it.

Texting or SMS (not via WiFi or MMS messaging as it is then over mobile/WiFi data) is typically the cheapest way to stay "informed" or "in-touch" Then, make or take the voice calling when it is necessary and keep it short to avoid "huge" billing surprises - turn off roaming & mobile data, unless you are familiar with how charges are computed as the carrier's help desk/tech support can usually offer help. VZW actually offer free classes for customers to learn to better use their smartphone devices.

Dockyard's paid WiFi plans - typically DSL speed - are cheap, offering 1 day, 2 days & 3+ day passes, only a few $ USD for a 24 hour period. Sit outdoor at the Waterfront and you should get a good signal on the land side of the pier but higher up on Deck 16 or 15 at the buffet for the Breakaway, signal might be too weak or subject to random drops - from my understanding.

Unless we had an outdated sign in our staterooms, the in-cabin calling rate to shore on the Breakaway - back in our late March sailing - is (was) $4.99 per minute via ship-to-shore satellite phone. Which, typically, is higher than cellular rates even with NCL's partnering MTN or Cellular At Sea calling rates on one's participating mobile carrier. CCL now charged only $1.99 per minute when calling from the ship to land...

On my November sailing it was 1,99$ a minute on the BA, maybe it was a limited promo. In my case it was much cheaper than my cell plan because I am from Canada and with long distance, cellular at sea and all, I ended up paying 8$ per minute for the one time I used it :eek:

When I saw the sign at 1,99$ we used only the ship's phone and saved $$$

Yes, you can board without your roommate - just be sure you both bring your own copy of the eDocs. As for your iPhone - are you looking to keep in touch on board or with folks at home? Onboard, download & activate the iConcierge app ($7.99/device, I think). For home, your cheapest option may be a wifi package & email. If you must call home, check your rates.

Enjoy your adventure!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As for your iPhone - are you looking to keep in touch on board or with folks at home? Onboard, download & activate the iConcierge app ($7.99/device, I think). For home, your cheapest option may be a wifi package & email. If you must call home, check your rates.

About the iConceirge app: Download it NOW since I think you can't get it while on board. It's free to activate when you get on the ship tomorrow. You can view the same schedule info as on your Freestyle Daily, and make reservations much like you can from your cabin television.

What costs $7.99 per device is the ability to use your iPhone to send messages and make phone calls to other people using the iConceirge app onboard. This is pretty cool for groups and families. It works totally over wifi.

You can also buy an Internet package and use that with your phone to read emails. Local service on the ship (like for making reservations) is pretty quick, but getting to the Internet is notoriously slow since the ship has to use satellite to get to the Internet.