Adventures in Alaska- Photo Review of a Northbound Cruise on the Coral - May 17

sjmbruce

Aside from the AWCC, the second reason we should not have taken the bus from Whittier: we drove almost the entire way back to stop at everything we had seen from the windows but wanted to experience. There were countless photo opportunities, places to hike and roadside waterfalls to admire.

the tide is in but a mud flat is still visible:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Bird Creek:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Falls Creek:

ry%3D400

another waterfall:

ry%3D400

I don't know why I didn't take any pictures, but there is also a nice boardwalk to spend some time at.

Edited by sjmbruce

And that's it! We left for Vancouver a month ago yesterday. I don't know if I would do another cruise to Alaska, but we would definitely go back for a land tour. We didn't have the time to be able to extend our trip this time. I'd love to go to see Denali and drive up to Fairbanks.

I'm also a bit sad because I don't know if we'll return to Princess. I don't want to say never - as we finished our Panama Canal cruise on the Island in December of 2012, I never would have imagined that we would return to the Coral for Alaska. However, there are only three other cruises I would like to go on and two are with NCL. Maybe Princess for the Mediterranean?

If I think of anything useful during the next few days I'll add it. I hope this review helped and that it was as enjoyable to read it as it was to write it.

And that's it! We left for Vancouver a month ago yesterday. I don't know if I would do another cruise to Alaska, but we would definitely go back for a land tour. We didn't have the time to be able to extend our trip this time. I'd love to go to see Denali and drive up to Fairbanks.

I'm also a bit sad because I don't know if we'll return to Princess. I don't want to say never - as we finished our Panama Canal cruise on the Island in December of 2012, I never would have imagined that we would return to the Coral for Alaska. However, there are only three other cruises I would like to go on and two are with NCL. Maybe Princess for the Mediterranean?

If I think of anything useful during the next few days I'll add it. I hope this review helped and that it was as enjoyable to read it as it was to write it.

Very enjoyable! :)

Enjoyed reading your review and viewing your photos. We've cruised to Alaska twice with Princess and twice with Holland America. We enjoyed bother cruise lines. We have traveled to Denali and really enjoyed our time there. The wildlife viewing was great. We've enjoyed our days in Anchorage and the surrounding areas. Seward is also a great small town with lots to see and do. Hope you can at least make another trip to see Denali. It's a must!!!!!

Thank you very much for the wonderful pictorial review! Love the photos and descriptions along the way. We have been on the Coral (canal) and will be heading to Alaska for our second time late this summer. it's great to remember what we did see and what we didn't. Thank you again.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry for pulling up a post that is a couple of months old, I hope that is okay! This will be my first cruise, and this thread is the exact cruise I will be doing. Please do not mind my questions.

1. I see anytime dining is mentioned. How does this work?

2. Can you comment on the weather during your cruise? I'll be going around the same time next year.

3. Would you sail on the Coral again?

4. Silly question, but I like my chocolate! What was the hot chocolate situation?

5. How did you get your upgrade? Do you feel like you did anything to increase your chances?

6. Would you go with Harv & Marv whale tours again?

7. What did you do on the sea days?

I am sure I will have more questions for you and this board in general. Thank you.

I'm sorry for pulling up a post that is a couple of months old, I hope that is okay! This will be my first cruise, and this thread is the exact cruise I will be doing. Please do not mind my questions.

2. Can you comment on the weather during your cruise? I'll be going around the same time next year.

4. Silly question, but I like my chocolate! What was the hot chocolate situation?

5. How did you get your upgrade? Do you feel like you did anything to increase your chances?

I am sure I will have more questions for you and this board in general. Thank you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

No problem bringing up an old thread, this was an excellent review.

Anytime dining means you can eat when you want between 5pm and 10pm in the main DR thats designated for anytime. Of course the busy times are usually 6-7:30 ish so you may have a small wait. Just show up.

The Coral is one of the 2 best for Alaska with only 1900 passengers and a fantastic wide promenade. :D And an International Cafe on deck 5 in the atrium area.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

No problem bringing up an old thread, this was an excellent review.

Anytime dining means you can eat when you want between 5pm and 10pm in the main DR thats designated for anytime. Of course the busy times are usually 6-7:30 ish so you may have a small wait. Just show up.

The Coral is one of the 2 best for Alaska with only 1900 passengers and a fantastic wide promenade. :D And an International Cafe on deck 5 in the atrium area.

I agree 10% with Colo Cruiser.

Welcome to the group.

I was on the Coral for going through the Panama Canal. I loved that ship! I think of all the ships, I've been on, it was my favorite. I think it will be excellent to be onboard for Alaska.

I will add that if you want a table for two, you might have a little longer wait. We found that if you head to the dining room when you are ready, ask for a table to share. When we travel alone, we love to have dinner with others. Great way to find out about what I could have done differently, what I want to do on my next cruise. . . when we travel with friends, we ask for a 4 top. He is hard of hearing and it is easier for him to converse without others around. He also had to eat around 6:00 due to tummy problems so, we would call and make a reservation every morning so we could be sure to get a table.

Enjoy your cruise! I'm sure you will!

no problem! and thank you to the other member above for answering a few questions - i haven't checked this board in awhile.

1. anytime dining has been pretty well covered above - i would just add that for the most part, the two person tables are so close together you're pretty much at a four top. and the waitstaff will serve the tables together as well. i'd recommend anytime for Alaska - we skipped the reserved "traditional" dining too many times in order to not miss a late time in port or college fjord

2. it was slightly chilly and at times rainy - it drizzled in each port, poured in juneau to the point that our helicopter tour was cancelled. the last two days onboard were sunny and warm. it's true what they say - layers! and i see that you're from the midwest - youll be fine without that puffy parka.

3. Absolutely! i don't think i ever will again. unfortunately it's not going anywhere else on my list. i would love to again though.

4. hot chocolate was free in the buffet during breakfast - there was no hot chocolate there during lunch or dinner.

5. the upgrade was pure luck. i would do an inside again for the price and the complete darkness that i so need in order to sleep. alaska in a window cabin made it particularly difficult to sleep. however, it was really nice to be able to see outside, to sit in your cabin and gaze out. we took pictures of lighthouses and waterfalls from our window and even saw whales. however, the window was pretty dirty and i am glad we didn't pay for it.

6. i think i would. it's not their fault we mostly saw orcas and only one humpback tail (i sound so spoiled, i know). i'd recommend them.

7. there was only one true sea day and two scenic cruising days. the scenic days were filled with wildlife watching and glaciers. plus it was warm enough to sit by the pool in a tshirt and shorts. we also used the indoor pool and hot tubs. we went to a few shows. my cruise felt a little off, but i still haven't been able to put my finger on it. yours will be one of the first for the 2015 season, so i guess all i can say is expect that the crew is going to be adjusting too.

please dont hesitate to ask anymore questions. enjoy your cruise!

no problem! and thank you to the other member above for answering a few questions - i haven't checked this board in awhile.

1. anytime dining has been pretty well covered above - i would just add that for the most part, the two person tables are so close together you're pretty much at a four top. and the waitstaff will serve the tables together as well. i'd recommend anytime for Alaska - we skipped the reserved "traditional" dining too many times in order to not miss a late time in port or college fjord

2. it was slightly chilly and at times rainy - it drizzled in each port, poured in juneau to the point that our helicopter tour was cancelled. the last two days onboard were sunny and warm. it's true what they say - layers! and i see that you're from the midwest - youll be fine without that puffy parka.

3. Absolutely! i don't think i ever will again. unfortunately it's not going anywhere else on my list. i would love to again though.

4. hot chocolate was free in the buffet during breakfast - there was no hot chocolate there during lunch or dinner.

5. the upgrade was pure luck. i would do an inside again for the price and the complete darkness that i so need in order to sleep. alaska in a window cabin made it particularly difficult to sleep. however, it was really nice to be able to see outside, to sit in your cabin and gaze out. we took pictures of lighthouses and waterfalls from our window and even saw whales. however, the window was pretty dirty and i am glad we didn't pay for it.

6. i think i would. it's not their fault we mostly saw orcas and only one humpback tail (i sound so spoiled, i know). i'd recommend them.

7. there was only one true sea day and two scenic cruising days. the scenic days were filled with wildlife watching and glaciers. plus it was warm enough to sit by the pool in a tshirt and shorts. we also used the indoor pool and hot tubs. we went to a few shows. my cruise felt a little off, but i still haven't been able to put my finger on it. yours will be one of the first for the 2015 season, so i guess all i can say is expect that the crew is going to be adjusting too.

I'm going on the coral next June, I haven't read through your whole review (will do that soon :) When you said your cruise was a little "off", what do you think you meant by that. Now, I'm worrying b/c I've been on the Diamond Princess was a little boring or "something" can't put my finger on it. I usually cruise royal caribbean, so I tried not to compare, any ideas?

I'm going on the coral next June, I haven't read through your whole review (will do that soon :) When you said your cruise was a little "off", what do you think you meant by that. Now, I'm worrying b/c I've been on the Diamond Princess was a little boring or "something" can't put my finger on it. I usually cruise royal caribbean, so I tried not to compare, any ideas?

If you were bored on the Diamond, you will be bored on the Coral. You should stick with RCCL.

i think the off-ness was service and organization. this was only my second cruise. our first cruise was also with princess, on the island, to the panama canal. we had such a great time - no bumps in the road, fantastic service.

during the alaska cruise, the service was just not as great as it was the last time.

we bought a coffee card and were in a cabin near the IC, so we were there everyday. there was a guy working there that did not smile a single time. i watched him once while we ate to see if it was just us, but he didn't smile at anyone. i hope we are as truly low maintenance as i think - we didn't have a single request for our cabin steward, no special dining requests and we don't need to be entertained by staff - just friendly customer service is what i expected. in no way did this ruin our cruise, but there was just too many instances throughout the ship.

there was a lot of late starts and disorganization as well. muster drill started almost an hour late - after they packed about 50 people into a tiny room smaller than a cabin. we went to a champagne art auction and about 30 minutes after the auction was supposed to start, there was no auction occurring, no champagne.

this time, it also didn't feel as carefree. it didn't feel like the cruise & staff was geared toward "escaping completely"- and that's the 'off' i cant put my finger on.

we were on the first cruise of the season to Alaska that this ship took. i am trying to attribute some of the disorganization and such to that.

i also want to add that we still had a good cruise. Alaska was beautiful and we ate well. have a great time on your cruise!

Edited by sjmbruce

i think the off-ness was service and organization. this was only my second cruise. our first cruise was also with princess, on the island, to the panama canal. we had such a great time - no bumps in the road, fantastic service.

during the alaska cruise, the service was just not as great as it was the last time.

we bought a coffee card and were in a cabin near the IC, so we were there everyday. there was a guy working there that did not smile a single time. i watched him once while we ate to see if it was just us, but he didn't smile at anyone. i hope we are as truly low maintenance as i think - we didn't have a single request for our cabin steward, no special dining requests and we don't need to be entertained by staff - just friendly customer service is what i expected. in no way did this ruin our cruise, but there was just too many instances throughout the ship.

there was a lot of late starts and disorganization as well. muster drill started almost an hour late - after they packed about 50 people into a tiny room smaller than a cabin. we went to a champagne art auction and about 30 minutes after the auction was supposed to start, there was no auction occurring, no champagne.

this time, it also didn't feel as carefree. it didn't feel like the cruise & staff was geared toward "escaping completely"- and that's the 'off' i cant put my finger on.

we were on the first cruise of the season to Alaska that this ship took. i am trying to attribute some of the disorganization and such to that.

i also want to add that we still had a good cruise. Alaska was beautiful and we ate well. have a great time on your cruise!

My trip on the Diamond, you mentioned coffee guy not being friendly, that was my same reaction, when I'd go get my coffee on the ship (can't remember where) but he was like (ok, here is your coffeeeeee), he wasn't mean, it was just like he hated his job, it also was early in the season around may 21. I understand what you mean, thanks

Thank you for your information and advice!

• 5 months later...

Do they do the "3 for free" every year & if so, do they do the special at any certain time of year so I can keep an eye out for it? I've never cruised Princess before & I just recently heard about this & would love to take advantage of it! :)

Do they do the "3 for free" every year & if so, do they do the special at any certain time of year so I can keep an eye out for it? I've never cruised Princess before & I just recently heard about this & would love to take advantage of it! :)

I honestly don't know. The first time we heard about it was when we took advantage of it and booked our cruise. I haven't been following the deals Princess is offering lately. You'd probably have better luck creating a new thread and asking. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Happy planning!

I don't think they do it every year. This year, Princess is offering up to $500 off, onboard credit and specialty dinner for its 50th anniversary.

You can never count on sales being repeated.