Alaska / Canada pre cruise

Dawn1004

hi all

Was hoping for some (helpful) advice.

Ok firstly we come from the north west of WA (that is Westerm Australia), in a desert type environment - so no snow ever, seldom rains and only about a week or two of cooler weather, I haven't owned an umbrella for over 15 years, and own one jumper, which I haven't worn for some time. i do have a lovely thick jacket from Disneyland (which I loved dor our Alaska travel in 2012.

So while I'm right for our clothing for our cruise and most of land based holiday - I am wondering....

For snow mobiling, Dog sled (on snow not cart), ice walk in Japer - would jeans/pants do or would they become too cold/damp and need snow pants? If we can get away with jeans/pants then thats what we'll go with, if we need to get snow pants, then I'll have to buy these online from over east (they have some places that snow) but would rather save the money for the new pants for other things (there are 3), think that money would be otherwise spent on A tour or souveniers or meals etc.

Secondly, snow mobiling, I see some is available at Jasper (we are doing Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper) but I can't see dates, so not sure is snow mobiling tours normally avail in late April? I have no idea when snow mobiling season is....I did see a snow mobiling tour avail in Whistler (pick up from Vancouver) but think would prefer to do at Banff or Jasper instead of additonal trip to Whistler. We do have a couple of days in Vancouver so we could do the Whistler trip if need be.

Last Alaska trip we were fine with jeans and pants, did not feel cold or get damp, but thinking this time we will be in the sbow/sleet a bit more so jeans /pants may not do the trick. :)

Thank you very much for any advice given

Hi Pam - I too am from Australia and will offer some assistance. If you buy snow gear - you'll have to carry it around with you - takes up room in luggage, even though it is light. Have you thought about hiring it? That way if you don't need them - i.e. not enough snow, you haven't wasted your money. Then once you've finished with them, hand them back and you haven't lost any room in your luggage.

We are going on our second "once in a lifetime" trip to Canada / Alaska and are going to hire an RV to do the Jasper/Banff area again. Last time we did it on an organised tour. We then head north on a cruise and hire another RV to do a few weeks in Alaska.

PS we are heading to the west in September on Sea Princess.

Hello you two Aussies, I'm a Canadian Born Kiwi, and maybe I can help a bit. The snow and cold in Banff and Jasper is a very dry cold, not a damp cold, and therefore very easy to dress for. Dress in layers and you will be fine, no need for snow pants, just put a pair of long johns underneath is needed, but in April I doubt if it will be required. We've had days of 75 F in april and also snow, so impossible to predict. Murphys law though, I would think, a sweater, light fleece/nylon lined jacket, and jeans with long johns would be plenty. If you have time to shop in Jasper before tour, you will be able to buy whatever you need before, as the shops cater for every need. You will love Banff and Jasper as they are two of the jewels of the Rockies and so majestic. If you get to Banff try and get into the natural hot springs as such a wonderful way to end the day. Don't even need a swimsuit or towel as they rent them there!