lunch in Carcross??

dfam4

Hi everybody. I'm looking for some recommendations for lunch in Carcross while we are on our Yukon tour out of Skagway. We are booked on a private tour and have the choices of the BBQ lunch at Caribou Crossing or getting food on our own from the bakery in town.

For those of you experienced in stopping in Carcross, which would you recommend?? We care more about how it tastes than cost.

Thank you very much!

Allison

Allison, we've done both, and if going again, I would choose Caribou Crossing. The lunch is pretty good. It's served in a cavernous room, and you'll be having lunch with other tour groups. You can step outside and visit the sled dog puppies (without paying for the sled dog ride), and there's a little petting zoo, too. We even went through their little wildlife museum.

The day we had lunch at the bakery, they were extremely busy, and we waited in line a very, very long time. The sandwiches were being slapped together in the back room, absolutely nothing special. There might have been a soup special, but I only had a sandwich. The bakery items are great, however, and it's a cute little place.

Hi everybody. I'm looking for some recommendations for lunch in Carcross while we are on our Yukon tour out of Skagway. We are booked on a private tour and have the choices of the BBQ lunch at Caribou Crossing or getting food on our own from the bakery in town.

For those of you experienced in stopping in Carcross, which would you recommend?? We care more about how it tastes than cost.

Thank you very much!

Allison

It may have changed some since we were there (2009 :D) but this is what Caribou Crossing looked like then. The mostly false fronts with the dining/seating area all the way on the left side (where the covered wagons are).

28mmjax.jpg

And Carcross had next to nothing there:

a little museum and housing for workers

rm8f2v.jpg

and the train station

kex1ck.jpg

Downtown Carcross looks VERY different now. There's a new retail complex that has several food outlets, and the bakery isn't swamped anymore so the quality is back up where it started.

In those photos, the "llittle museum and housing for workers" is actually a Native kindergarten and Indian band office, and the "train station" is a Native carving shed.

Edited by huskyguy

Downtown Carcross looks VERY different now. There's a new retail complex that has several food outlets, and the bakery isn't swamped anymore so the quality is back up where it started.

In those photos, the "llittle museum and housing for workers" is actually a Native kindergarten and Indian band office, and the "train station" is a Native carving shed.

Well, I said "It may have changed" :D

If you want to know what Carcross looks like and what’s there go to Google street view https://www.google.com/maps/views/home?gl=us We’ve had the BBQ chicken lunch at Caribou Crossing. I wasn’t impressed, it’s your typical tourist trap. We ate at the bakery last year in Carcross it was just OK, nothing to jump up the middle of the night and shout about.

If you want to know what Carcross looks like and what’s there go to Google street view ...

It looks nothing like Google Maps/Earth/Streetview thinks it does, either (their images are from June 20, 1010).

Wow! I know those photos are a few years old but there really was not much there! Thanks for posting those. I really love seeing things like that.

Thanks to the person also who posted the update. I am looking forward to seeing that town. I have heard and read so many things about Skagway excursions.

Unless they’ve had a massive building boom in the last 11 months that’s what it pretty much looks like on google street view, at least to me. Carcross is a quaint little town of about 475, we’ve always enjoyed visiting there.

Unless they’ve had a massive building boom in the last 11 months that’s what it pretty much looks like on google street view, at least to me.

Their images are from June 20, 1010, and the building done since then has totally changed the look of the downtown.

I'd stick with the lunch that comes with your tour. We were evidently in Carcross before the building boom, but the only place to get a sandwich wasn't even open in August. Closed tighter than a drum due to unusual rain/flooding. Everyone had to make do with chips/snacks & a lot of folks paid the outrageous price for ice cream cones at a store. No place to even think of an actual lunch.

Can you tell me the name of the "bakery" business you're discussing? I'm wondering if it's Caribou Crossing Coffee as mentioned by huskyguy or if it's Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery. Thanks.

I don't think I'd trust "sushi" from a little trailer on the street corner in Carcross. As for the burger place, I think it's the same as we saw there in 2012. It smelled tempting, but the people working there were smoking on the corner and then would put out their cigarettes and go cook something if they got a customer. Turned me off completely.

I'd also like to hear from people who visit Carcross this summer. I've done the Caribou Crossing BBQ on a tour, and I wasn't impressed. We have also eaten at the Authentic Sourdough Bakery and it was okay, but it seemed like everything lacked salt, including the biscuit I got with my soup. You can add salt to soup, but it's not so easy with bland baked goods.

Our tour guide called it "the bakery". She said that there was also a coffee shop in town.

So I'm guessing it must be the Sourdough bakery.

Thanks. Sounds like the bakery is not recommended.

Thanks. Sounds like the bakery is not recommended.

We ate there (Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery) in May 2013, and found it to be quite good. Tasty soups, sandwiches, and desserts, and nice people working there. Look at the reviews on TripAdvisor, which are favorable.