Anybody Willing to 'describe' QE2??

LocoLoco1

Does anyone have a general idea of what cabin/decks were first, second, third, etc? The restaurant divisions genearlly fall what used to be the old rule? I wonder if its worth any advantage like in room selection.

Shortly I will know definitively when my QE2 1971 Deck Plan arrives....in the mean time, I would say that 1, 2 and midships 3 deck were First Class, fore and aft three, and all of four and five were 'Trans Atlantic'. No deck plans of a Three Class QE2 exists, afaik, but if you check out the different stair towers A (Third), G (Cabin) and D (First) you get the general idea....thats why the D lifts do not go down below 3 deck, or A stop at 1 or Quarter deck....

Peter

I AM intrigued by a few posts as re: tumeroll and planetcadillac referencing the "old vs. new" deck plans etc. Now that we ARE definitely booked I wonder if lifts to certain Decks but NOT other decks makes one stateroom assignment horribly inconvenient and another quite nice. If it sounds as though I am a little befuddled by this it's because I AM. Is there a "crosssection" page in any literature showing this? More to the point: IF we are assigned M1 #5216 that's quite a different matter than a C5 #2016 far forward..yes?? Thanks to all..

Three-class deck plans for QE2 were published in a book called 'British Superliners of the Sixties' by Philip Dawson.

First class on transatlantic crossings were as follows:

The suites on Signal Deck and Sports Deck

Boat Deck forward of Double Up Bar and Lounge (or, forward of what is now the 'balcony' of the Grand Lounge and the Royal Promenade shops)

All of Quarter Deck

One Deck forward of 'H' stairway, including a laundrette.

Two Deck between 'G' and 'A' stairways, or between the 'Aft' and 'Forward' lobbies

Three Deck between 'G' and 'A' stairways

Everywhere else was 'Transatlantic Class'.

If you are interested in ship class breakdown take a look at old deck plans of the Titanic or the Andrea Doria which was an Italian cruise ship that was modern enough in design to basically mimic what the QE2 is trying to do. It had 3 distinct classes and nice large detailed plans of that ship can be found at http://www.andreadoria.org .

When we sailed the Queen Elizabeth 2 back from Europe in September of 1999 we were travelling cheaply on the trip it was for transportation purposes as well as to extend the vacation somewhat. So we booked what we could. Now when we plan on going on a World Cruise segment in January 2007 (NYC to LA) we want to be more selective of the rooms. We really cannot afford Queens or Princess but maybe something like a good Caronia room.

Three-class deck plans for QE2 were published in a book called 'British Superliners of the Sixties' by Philip Dawson.

First class on transatlantic crossings were as follows: ....... Everywhere else was 'Transatlantic Class'.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - I have had this book on my library shelves for years and forgotten all about it. What a huge amount of fascinating information - especially about the proposed Q3 and how much of that ship finally appeared in QE2. The black and white photos of the original interiors actually make some of the spaces look quite stylish in a 1960's way - much better than the sea of anonymous tub chairs there now!!! I've got loads of great quotes too - to prove how 'untraditonal' Cunard planned this ship to be!!!!

Ken

What a huge amount of fascinating information - especially about the proposed Q3 and how much of that ship finally appeared in QE2.

Isn't it - a good apppreciation of the technical & design challenges that went into these three great liners. I still can't find the QE2 'three class deck plan' - other than the description of the changes in the upper decks - have you got Dawon's latest book 'Liner: Retrospective and Renaissance' - its a beauty! Got deck plans from the Normandie that have me reaching for my magnifying glass!

Peter

Isn't it - a good apppreciation of the technical & design challenges that went into these three great liners. I still can't find the QE2 'three class deck plan' - other than the description of the changes in the upper decks

No, it just shows the as built plan which is confused by the definitions 1st, Cabin and Tourist classes (I assume 1st and Cabin are the same).

- have you got Dawon's latest book 'Liner: Retrospective and Renaissance' - its a beauty! Got deck plans from the Normandie that have me reaching for my magnifying glass!..... Peter

No I haven't seen that!!! But I do have the 1972 Patrick Stephens Ltd 'Ocean Liners of the Past - Normandie' which has A3 sized pull out plans amongst all the other technical details and photos from the reprint of the June 1935 'Shipbuilder and Marine-engineer Builder'.

Ken

I do have the 1972 Patrick Stephens Ltd 'Ocean Liners of the Past - Normandie' which has A3 sized pull out plans amongst all the other technical details and photos from the reprint of the June 1935 'Shipbuilder and Marine-engineer Builder'.

Look after it - I've just done a search of second hand book shops - if you want, you can get a second one for £100! I have the equivalent one for the Queen Mary - much less valuable - but also fun to see how they put Third Class at the bottom & forward, Cabin class aft and First Class Midships on top - just like the Q3...and with remaining vestiges in the QE2.....seventy years on.....I think Doug was right, on Cruise Critic this is 'Liner nuts central'.

Peter

Look after it - I've just done a search of second hand book shops - if you want, you can get a second one for £100! I have the equivalent one for the Queen Mary - much less valuable - but also fun to see how they put Third Class at the bottom & forward, Cabin class aft and First Class Midships on top - just like the Q3...and with remaining vestiges in the QE2.....seventy years on.....I think Doug was right, on Cruise Critic this is 'Liner nuts central'. Peter

REALLY!!! I've got the QM one too - also the first in the series 'Olympic and Titanic' dated 1970 which cost the princely sum of 95 shillings!!! Really miss those old £sd !!! God forbid we should ever be lumbered with the Euro (ahhhhhhh). Where are the those traditionalists when you need them, eh????

Liner nut central? What else are we here for? To discuss coffee or cream teas (ahem!!!)

Ken

QUOTE]

I should have said "I've heard that three-class deckplans..."

I don't actually have the book! But I heard that the book had these plans.

You might want to look for a book I do have, if you don't have it already, called "QE2 Queen Elizabeth 2 The Authorized Story" by Neil Potter and Jack Frost published 1969

From the jacket flap:

"The press releases about Queen Elizabeth 2 have been endless. Not only does the liner represent a new dimension in shipping, that of the floating resort, but the techniques, both managerial and technical, used to build her are the most modern in the world. QE2 is not the last of the mammoth transatlantic liners, she is the first of the big, freely adaptable ships, at home equally as a ferry and as a cruising vessel. The best in British technological innovation, interior desgn, and management skills have been blended to produce the best in Brtish shipping.

But QE2 is more than just a particularly modern and refined means of transport; columns of comment testify that she is regarded as the flagship of the nation, that she is symbolic of Britain's present-day greatness.

How far are these images correct? This is what authors Potter and Frost set out to investigate in following their previous successes the The Mary and The Elizabeth by describing the process how the idea was born and how far the idea was made a reality.

Months of research and interviewing (with the full cooperation of Cunard) combined with years of experience in shipping journalism have produced some remarkable answers. In many ways, QE2 is symbolic of Britain. The story emerges of a company with a conservative outlook and somewhat antique ideas about itself and the shipping world, forced to adapt to present-day conditions by successive financial crises. How a new chairman and director revitalized the company. How, for the first time, the lower echelons were asked to contribute their ideas. Of labour difficulties and escalating costs. How far the management was successful in working with the team of creative designers it eventually decided were essential to give the new liner the right look.

The building of Queen Elizabeth 2 is about technical achievement and of interest to anyone who has attempted to develop a great commercial concept, but the authors also deal with human achievement, with the men and women who devoted part of their lives to realising a vision. Their book will obviously be read by all who travel in the ship, but it deserves, and will get a wider audience, for it succeeds in encapsuling many of the good and bad features of Britain in the late sixties and of the twentieth century."

No deck plans, but highly detailed commentary on the process of creating QE2, with plenty of facinating photos.

Ironic how QE2 was described once as a 'floating resort', which is exactly what die-hard QE2 fans defend the QE2 against being, compared to the quantities of mass-market cruise ships around now.

I do have sets of 1968 and 1971 deck plans, and other early literature, which I brought with me on board last December. Myself and some friends spent hours one day lurking all over the decks, inside and out, comparing changes and trying to solve mysteries.

We attracted attention, as other passengers, crew, and officers were facinated by a chance to look into QE2's past. Over the course of the three weeks I was on board I took several opportunities to bury my nose in these plans and lurk, lurk, lurk.

What great fun it was, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next time.

I should have said "I've heard that three-class deckplans..." I don't actually have the book!

I highly recommend it - its a great description and analysis of the QE2, Canberra and Oriana. It does have a diagram of Upper Deck in 3 class configuration - but not the accommodation.

"QE2 Queen Elizabeth 2 The Authorized Story" by Neil Potter and Jack Frost .
- Thanks for the pointer - one on its way!

I do have sets of 1968 and 1971 deck plans, and other early literature, which I brought with me on board last December. Myself and some friends spent hours one day lurking all over the decks, inside and out, comparing changes and trying to solve mysteries.What great fun it was, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next time.

I shall be onboard in January with Potter & Frost and a 1971 deck plan - great fun! Certainly beats napkin folding!

Peter

I shall be onboard in January with Potter & Frost and a 1971 deck plan - great fun! Certainly beats napkin folding!

Peter

Hi Peter,

So, we'll know how to recognize you, you'll be the one with your nose buried in the old deck plans....oh, wait, that might be me...or Jon...

We'll have to compare notes!

Kyle

We took our 15th cruise on QE2 in June 2005. It was a bit spoiled by all the sanitsation taking place on board and the Library being more or less closed, however we quite understood why this had to take place. Carpet fitters also caused a lot of dust but again these jobs have to be done some time. BUT as for everything else food, service etc., were excellent.

Don't go on QE2 if you want plastic and chrome DO GO if you want to experience 'a proper ship'

We did try a different ship in 1996--but not up to QE2 standards.

Our first cruise was in 1985 and it would be silly to say that standards are the same but then it was a different era, no company could afford what we got then

and we were in an M5 bunk bed cabin, since then we have gone mainly in M inside cabins or C cabins. We have had good accomodation in them all and actually prefer to be lower down in the ship.

She is like a favourite old Auntie, a little worn round the edges, but a fit old bird just the same. We love her.:)

• 4 weeks later...
Shortly I will know definitively when my QE2 1971 Deck Plan arrives....in the mean time, I would say that 1, 2 and midships 3 deck were First Class, fore and aft three, and all of four and five were 'Trans Atlantic'. No deck plans of a Three Class QE2 exists, afaik, but if you check out the different stair towers A (Third), G (Cabin) and D (First) you get the general idea....thats why the D lifts do not go down below 3 deck, or A stop at 1 or Quarter deck....

Peter

I received July 1968 deck plans for the QE2 in the mail Saturday. They are nicely detailed as far as furniture locations on the ship but no differentiation between classes or grades at all. Perhaps it was TOO early a release.

Archived