Side of the bus for Eielson Shuttle

MVPinBoynton

We will be on the 8:30 AM in a couple weeks. I realize that we will see both sides of the road by doing a return trip; but is one side better than the other in the morning for scenery?

Better views on the driver's side heading out on the road.

Better views on the driver's side heading out on the road.

Agreed - just be aware when going through Polychriome Pass that it can be stressful if you are afraid of heights as the road is quite narrow and the drop into the valley below can give some folks quite the adrenaline rush...:D

L.J.

My experience has been the opposite of previous posters. Most wildlife viewing especially bears, was on the right side of the bus, the non-driver side.

Best thing to do is take a seat on each side of the bus so you have easy access to sightings on both sides. We get there early so we can each grab an aisle seat; essentially we're sitting next to each other but we have an aisle between us.

I think for the first few sightings, people tend to hog the window but after awhile they realize the driver will stop long enough for everyone to capture their photos before moving on, so they relax and let others get a turn. My experience has been that the driver asks if everyone has gotten their photos.

Polychrome Pass has very steep drop offs and there is no guard rail, so if you're afraid of heights, be on the driver side of the bus as you head back to the entrance. I'm ok on the way INTO the park since the drop off is on the other side of the road but the return trip really gets to me.

Thanks for the great information. I am not worried about the heights; but my wife will keep her eyes closed. Looking at the road map, it appears that while going the drivers side will be the sunny side, since the bus appears to be going southwest. Since I am concerned about the reflection on the bus windows for photos, is it an issue or since we are traveling in the woods and mountains, will the sun even hit the bus?

Thanks for the great information. I am not worried about the heights; but my wife will keep her eyes closed. Looking at the road map, it appears that while going the drivers side will be the sunny side, since the bus appears to be going southwest. Since I am concerned about the reflection on the bus windows for photos, is it an issue or since we are traveling in the woods and mountains, will the sun even hit the bus?

The buses have windows you can lower about half-way down. My wife and I love the back rows on the bus since it gives you an extra view out the rear;)