Casual Nights

Rikiw111

But they don't seem to have a "code" about jeans! They should just say it if that's what they want. They say slacks. The Dictionary says:

slacks Casual trousers that are not part of a suit.

Okay so trousers, the dictionary says:

trousers An outer garment for covering the body from the waist to the ankles, divided into sections to fit each leg separately. Often used in the plural.

Jeans woud certainly qualify. Carnival should be more specific about jeans since this is something that seems to be so heated on both sides. It appears by the omission of the word they intend to allow them but again, I don't feel comfortable in the dining room with them.

I agree with your statements. Get ready though, because most won't. And I know I will get blasted for this, but I don't think Capri pants are any less casual than jeans or shorts.

Wow! I had no idea such and honest and simple question would make "high class" people like yourselves get all upset and cussing and stuff. Thanks to all who stood up for my original post. I have heard enough. Let the posts stop now. I got the point.

Riki

Riki, don't take all these responses personally and know that most of the discussion here is about the topic itself and not you specifically.

Riki, don't take all these responses personally and know that most of the discussion here is about the topic itself and not you specifically.
Oh yea Riki this is not about you anymore!!!! Thank You for your question!!! This is about some people calling some of us liars!!!!:eek:

I think your response is rude. The original poster was asking a question that did not warrant such a response.

Folks will interpret the dress code in many ways. So in their opinion they will feel that they ARE following the dress code, even if it is not the majority of the opinions here. And as another poster stated, this is the cruiser's first cruise, so how would they know what the atmosphere is like. Get a grip!

I'm sorry for the confussion I was not responding to the orginal OP but to one of the folks here who threw out the first LIAR!!! Sorry once again for the confussion!!!

Riki excuse me if you took this at you!!!!

For the record,

My cruise will not be ruined if I dont wear jeans to the main dining room.

also

My Curise will not be ruined if I see someone in the main dining room wearing jeans.

I am a tad surprised at how upset people get over this.

:cool:

I'm sorry for the confussion I was not responding to the orginal OP but to one of the folks here who threw out the first LIAR!!! Sorry once again for the confussion!!!

I'm sorry back. I missed that post containing the name-calling. Its a shame that folks have to resort to that. At this time, I will apologize ahead of time for my previous post. I was annoyed that someone posted about dressing for formal nights when that was not what was asked in the original question. I may not take a picture, but I will certainly be aware of what folks are wearing:rolleyes: .

Thank you! I knew you weren't responding to me

:) ! Thanks for your help on the jeans thing!

Thank you! I knew you weren't responding to me

:) ! Thanks for your help on the jeans thing!

Your Vrey Welcome!!!!!! Please feel free to post any question no mater how controversial it may be!!!!

It is how folks respond to them!!!!

Your question was a good one!!!! So I guess you have an answer now..LOL Sorry for all the bickering, this is a great board and source of info!!!

Enjoy your cruise and Dinner!!!!!!

Now lets see how the sub-concious works.. When you go to dinner now you will be watching folks to see what they wear...LOL

Those who say jeans are not allowed on casual nights are liars. I stand by my words. As for getting in the gutter and resorting to name calling, I refuse. I have more class than that.

Good point. I always have to laugh at some that are so dressed up but have no manners to speak of. What you wear doesn't make you elegant and reserved.

At the risk of being controversial...or getting people upset again... (Let me start by saying that I am going on a cruise next week with a large, extended family including 4 children and a boyfriend who will want to wear jeans).

I think the fact that Carnival doesn't mention jeans is because they don't have a policy of no jeans in the dining room, yet...but I think they would rather "present" themselves as more upscale and formal than the rules might indicate. I think an excellent example of this is their current ad campaign in which they show a younger couple, dressed to the nines, dancing it up and sharing fine food and wine. There are no kids or jeans to be found in this ad and the message is clear-- we are looking for this particular type of passenger.

Anyway, that is just my impression. I will have jeans with me and kids next week.

When did, "resort casual" become, "casual nights"?

In the US, are there ANY people that don't know that "jeans" and "slacks" are not the same thing?

Does something universally understood by everyone need to be spelled out?

We're all cruisers, does the dress code have to be in perfect international court legalese?

If we, "no jeans types" are liars, what are those that knowingly and intentionally MISINTERPET a simple set of easily followed rules?

Isn't calling someone a liar, stooping to name calling?

All I have is questions, who has answers?

Dan

Well tomorrow is Friday, which means business casual for me. I think I will wear my tan jeans with a nice top and heels. That way I am ready to go to dinner at a nice restaurant owned by a nationally acclaimed chef after work.

For the record,

My cruise will not be ruined if I dont wear jeans to the main dining room.

also

My Curise will not be ruined if I see someone in the main dining room wearing jeans.

I am a tad surprised at how upset people get over this.

:cool:

Astronomer, well said. I do agree.

I, personally, would not wear jeans to dinner in one of the main dining rooms. BUT, the question posed was "Are they allowed?", and, as kindly answered by many, yes, they are.

There are many alternatives to jeans to make the dining room experience a more formal one, yet still enjoyable. Khaki pants will go with just about anything, just like jeans, and I'm pretty sure they have the same comfort level. I agree with those who don't see the difference between slipping on a pair of jeans and slipping on a pair of khakis.

There are people who wear jeans to dinner in the dining rooms. Do I mind? No. It is their personal choice, though I think it would be nicer if they didn't. Though I don't agree with them wearing them there, what am I going to do? Someone wearing jeans in the dining room certainly won't ruin my cruise!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but like Astronomer, I, too, am a bit surprised at the fighting and name-calling that results from boards such as this. Carnival does enforce the dress code, and people are often (politely) turned away because of their attire, but if Carnival was more specific with their dress code regulations, perhaps things like this would no longer be an issue. People would not find ways to go around the formal atmosphere I think was originally intended for the main dining rooms.

Oh well, who knows? Personally, I'm just happy to be cruising!!!!! :D

Telling a lie makes a person a liar. If they don't like being branded as liars, they shouldn't lie. I don't consider calling a liar a liar to be name calling. If it is somehow politically incorrect to do so, then what is the PC term for a liar?

Specifically who was called a liar?

Those who say jeans are not allowed on casual nights are liars. I stand by my words.

Did anyone say jeans are not allowed on casual night in this thread? Not that I saw. Many said they thought that jeans are inappropriate for fine dining, an opinion that you may or may not agree with, or that Carnival had no official statement on whether jeans are allowed. But I don't think anyone definitively said they are not allowed, so no one was lying.

IMG_0509.jpgdms: Here is a picture (again inus DH who is taking the photos) of us getting ready to eat in the dining room. Thanks for asking.

I did not want to post yesterday because when my son put the other picture (of formal night) on the site, I felt one poster was a little unkind about me not answering the question correctly. I did not have the heart to tell my son he put the wrong picture up.

I frankly don't care what anyone wears!! I just completed my first cruise and when I joined, I asked many questions. I wanted to know basically what was expected and what most people wore or what people did in certain situations. I did not want to know "legally" what was allowed or what I could get away with. I knew no one would go running and screaming away if we wear jeans or shorts. For me, I just wanted to know what to expect. I had no idea how lovely the dining room was set up. So, I try to answer people in the same manner as how I posed the questions.

We had a lot of fun. Hope everyone elses cruises go as smoothly as our did. :)

I guess the difference is that is what they want to wear. And who really cares? Give me a break. On our last cruise we saw a large group of people dressed in tux and gowns (some rather "daring" ones)..loud, obnoxious, and just plain drunk..in fact two of the men were falling all over the place. No one kicked them out, but they kept a lot of us from enjoying our meal. A young couple with a four year old son was sitting next to us and everytime the child spoke they were telling him to keep his voice down. He really was not loud at all. My wife walked over and assured them the child was behaving much better that the "tux" crowd. It's not the dress..it's the behavior that counts, at least IMHO!

My DH and I wear our jeans to fly to and from the port city. We dress up a bit more for the dining room. Slacks or dresses for me, slacks or a suit for him. I personally don't care to see jeans in the dining room, but there isn't anything I can do about what others wear, so I just enjoy my meal.

In the end, it doesn't matter what you wear if you don't bring your manners along as well.

My DH and I wear our jeans to fly to and from the port city. We dress up a bit more for the dining room. Slacks or dresses for me, slacks or a suit for him. I personally don't care to see jeans in the dining room, but there isn't anything I can do about what others wear, so I just enjoy my meal.

In the end, it doesn't matter what you wear if you don't bring your manners along as well.

Well, that is true. You can dress 'em up, but you can't take them anywhere.

It is amazing how some of the better dressed passengers discover manners when they aren't posting on CC.

Archived