"Smuggling" in San Juan

Question for anyone who is familier with cruising from San Juan:

My wife and I are flying into San Juan to board a RCCL ship later this year and I was wondering if any beer and wine "smugglers" have any good tips? Our flight is scheduled to get to the airport before noon and the ship doesn't board until later that day. I would like to stop somewhere between the airport and pier to get a case of beer and couple bottles (or box) of wine to stash in our suitcases, then drop the suitcases off at the boat so we can do some walking around San Juan b/f we board.

Any suggestions for those who have done this before? Is it OK to drop the bags off early? Any recommendations of a nearby store? Is a taxi the best way to get from the airport to pier, then back out to the historical districts to walk around? Thanks in advance for your help!

When we were in San Juan a couple of years ago there were at least two liquor stores at least they had beer and wine for sale right near the dock. I don't know if the price was cheap for San Juan but it was a lot less than the ship we were on was charging.

I did not notice any kind of held luggage office at the port there but depending on how early you are you may be able to check your luggage for loading and then go out and get some sightseeing in.

Have a great next cruise.

Question for anyone who is familier with cruising from San Juan:

My wife and I are flying into San Juan to board a RCCL ship later this year and I was wondering if any beer and wine "smugglers" have any good tips? Our flight is scheduled to get to the airport before noon and the ship doesn't board until later that day. I would like to stop somewhere between the airport and pier to get a case of beer and couple bottles (or box) of wine to stash in our suitcases, then drop the suitcases off at the boat so we can do some walking around San Juan b/f we board.

Any suggestions for those who have done this before? Is it OK to drop the bags off early? Any recommendations of a nearby store? Is a taxi the best way to get from the airport to pier, then back out to the historical districts to walk around? Thanks in advance for your help!

We did a T/A in April this year from SJ. We 'checked in' and before boarding the ship, paid a vist to the duty free shop..........we bought = 4 btls liquor, 2 btls wine, and a 12 pk of pepsi.............the wine & liquer were packed in a box for us...............this we carried onto the ship and to our cabin....no problems !!!!!! :)

Theres a lot of touristy shops over in san juan.... i remember a few place's selling beer and wine. They sell it in supermarkets too... a whole row just for rum... rum is so cheap there too... Try to get it on board.... if you can have it in your room then you'll bring some cheap booze home for the family ;)

(i did'nt sail out of san juan... i had a *gasp* hotel on land i stayed in *gasp* - a non cruise vaction )

• 8 years later...