Donating blood after visiting Costa Maya

clingandclatter

One of my friends that I travelled to Costa Maya with went to donate blood at a blood drive today and was asked the usual question on if she had been out of the US lately. Apparently, if you visit Costa Maya, you are not allowed to donate blood a year from visiting because of a malaria risk. This was news to her as well to me.

I should say this with a little disclaimer as I don't have malaria from visiting. You will most likely not get malaria from visiting. The thousands of people off cruise ships have probably not gotten malaria. I would go back tomorrow if I could. However, this is just something you should be aware of in case you are expecting to undergo some sort of medical procedure or are planning on donating blood yourself. I was aware of limitations on travellers to Europe, but this was the first I had heard of this. I was quite surprised actually to see the whole list of places that if you visit you won't be able to donate. One list is here: [url="http://www.nybloodcenter.org/framesets/FS-1B.htm"]NY Blood Center[/url], click on the PDF of "Countries with Risk of Malaria". Keep in mind that regulations can change from time to time...

~*~ Disney Wonder 9/02 ~*~ [url="http://community.webshots.com/album/133720649ZDrjtW"]RCCL Splendour of the Seas 4/04[/url] ~*~

Yes, this is true. We had been back stateside for one year last March 15 and now we can donate blood to the Red Cross. We never had any trouble with Malaria. Mosquitos only come out of the jungle when the caribbean breeze stops. Then the sea is like glass and it is time to GO SNORKELING!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have been deferred twice from giving blood - both times after western caribbean cruises. Places like Roatan and Belize are definite deferrals - Cancun and Cozumel should be okay as long as you don't go into the countryside (Tulum ruins). If in doubt, check with your local Red Cross office. They can verify.

I wondered the first time we went to Roatan why the cruise staff kept encouraging us to use bug spray. Now I know, but don't really worry at all about getting malaria.

Susan
Jewel of the Seas 12/04
Celebrity Millenium 11/03
Norwegian Sea 12/02
Norwegian Sea 8/99

Hi Churchplanters,

I don't know if I have "officially" been to Costa Maya before. First time on a cruise with my DH for our 20th anniversary we went to Cancun, Cozumel and Roatan. Two years ago I cruised went with my sister to Belize. Sister, daughter and stepmom are sailing this December to Costa Maya. I'll be sure to visit the Red Cross a couple of weeks before we go, since I know I'll probably be deferred to another year.

Sis and I did the Eastern Caribbean last year, but I think I like the Western better.

Hope you have a great trip. We are really looking forward to our cruise in December.

Susan
Jewel of the Seas 12/04
Celebrity Millenium 11/03
Norwegian Sea 12/02
Norwegian Sea 8/99

• 2 weeks later...
We also thought that our Costa Maya visit last November would take us out of the donation pool BUT....When the blood bank called about 2 months after our trip, my DH told them he didn't think he could donate because we had recently been to Costa maya. They asked him a bunch of questions and the final veridct was that since we hadn't been tramping around in the jungle (spent a wonderful day snorkeling, drinking, etc by the water), that we weren't at risk and they have let my DH donate twice since we have been home. Maybe it depends on how badly they need your blood type?! My DH has the good stuff and I swear they call here every 3 weeks for him to donate-it's crazy!

GIVE THAT DH OF YOURS BIG HUG FROM ALL THE REST OF US. THERE IS SUCH A WEE SMALL CHANCE OF CATCHING ANYTHING FROM MISQUITOS IF YOU SLEEP UNDER A NET ON THE COAST. CRUISERS HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. ENJOY THE LAST OF PARADISE.

Archived