Mega train London to Southampton

jimmybean

Just wanted to share information on Mega train tickets, which DH purchased online.

Friends were going to drop us at the terminal on May 9th, but in the end, we decided to spare them traffic nightmares and take the train from London instead.

Anyway, Megatrain was a fantastic deal: only 20 pounds for the two of us! Train ride was an hour and a half. Including the taxis from London hotel to Waterloo depot and Southampton depot to ship, the total cost was 38 pounds.

It was comfortable and easy.

The Southampton taxi driver scooted through a maze of short-cuts, so depot to Ocean terminal was only 10 minutes.

Caveat is having to take the exact train booked, which was no hardship for us.

Just wanted to share information on Mega train tickets, which DH purchased online.

Friends were going to drop us at the terminal on May 9th, but in the end, we decided to spare them traffic nightmares and take the train from London instead.

Anyway, Megatrain was a fantastic deal: only 20 pounds for the two of us! Train ride was an hour and a half. Including the taxis from London hotel to Waterloo depot and Southampton depot to ship, the total cost was 38 pounds.

It was comfortable and easy.

The Southampton taxi driver scooted through a maze of short-cuts, so depot to Ocean terminal was only 10 minutes.

Caveat is having to take the exact train booked, which was no hardship for us.

I've taken the train between Southampton and London. It's a reasonably pleasant trip if you aren't carrying luggage.

If you've got more than a bag it can be problematic finding a secure spot to store everything and to manoeuvre when at stations.

I've taken the train between Southampton and London. It's a reasonably pleasant trip if you aren't carrying luggage.

If you've got more than a bag it can be problematic finding a secure spot to store everything and to manoeuvre when at stations.

I absolutely agree with you Austcruiser---taking the train is not for everyone, mainly because of the luggage issues.

Just wanted travelers from London to Southampton--who do take the train-- to know that booking through Mega Train is a really good deal. Buying a ticket through MegaTrain on-line was 10 pounds instead of 35 pounds, if purchased at the station.

I've just checked the site and it only shows me options by bus, not by train.

Between London and Southampton? They definitely have train service for that route. Maybe bus is their default option? Check that you've clicked the pull down menu for "travelling by" and selected trains.

Megatrain don't actually operate the trains - they simply sell an allocation of seats on certain South West trains at a reduced price. South West trains and Megatrain (and Megabus) are, I believe, both owned by Stagecoach

Megatrain don't actually operate the trains - they simply sell an allocation of seats on certain South West trains at a reduced price. South West trains and Megatrain (and Megabus) are, I believe, both owned by Stagecoach

Megatrain was a googling discovery of my clever DH...

You have to buy the Megatrain ticket online, in advance, and you have no flexibility to take a different train. You have an assigned train departure time.

You print your own "ticket" which doesn't look much like a ticket (not very official looking, but obviously recognized by the conductor).

You save a consideration amount of money, compared to the price paid by other passengers who purchased conventional tickets. Same train. Less cost.

We typically see at least "some" --if not many--people on the train who also have Cunard identification on their suitcases. So, I thought it worth sharing this information.

Megatrain was a googling discovery of my clever DH...

You have to buy the Megatrain ticket online, in advance, and you have no flexibility to take a different train. You have an assigned train departure time.

You print your own "ticket" which doesn't look much like a ticket (not very official looking, but obviously recognized by the conductor).

You save a consideration amount of money, compared to the price paid by other passengers who purchased conventional tickets. Same train. Less cost.

We typically see at least "some" --if not many--people on the train who also have Cunard identification on their suitcases. So, I thought it worth sharing this information.

The first time we took Megatrain to Soton, I expected to see a Megatrain car attached to the regular train. I asked a conductor and was told "Sit anywhere, we'll find you." We didn't need a ticket back than, just a confirmation number. She found us and checked off our number, very easy. If you're REALLY quick, the first few tickets on each train are only 2 pounds apiece. Super bargain!

Assigned train times aren't unusual in the UK. Depending on the train line, if you buy early when the tickets are first loaded into online inventory, you can get good advance prices, but they're usually nonrefundable and for a specific time. If you want an "anytime" ticket, it will cost you a lot more. Of course, each train line has its own pricing structure and rules. IIRC, the line that Megatrain uses does not offer advance purchase fares. It's the same price whether you buy in advance or on the day of travel. So that makes Megatrain look even better!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Between London and Southampton? They definitely have train service for that route. Maybe bus is their default option? Check that you've clicked the pull down menu for "travelling by" and selected trains.

I wanted it between Oxford and Southampton. I found that pulldown menu (thank you for that tip) and the only option is bus. Oh well, back to my normal cheap line of thetrainline dot com. They are good for purchasing in advance as they cover all routes.

I've always been a bit wary of buying my train ticket in advance in case I didn't get off the ship at the right time or there wasn't a taxi available. I have heard some horror stories of the trip from the train station to the port, but so far I've always done it in less than 10 minutes. The taxi drivers are very good at knowing which routes are least crowded.

I wanted it between Oxford and Southampton. I found that pulldown menu (thank you for that tip) and the only option is bus. Oh well, back to my normal cheap line of thetrainline dot com. They are good for purchasing in advance as they cover all routes.

I've always been a bit wary of buying my train ticket in advance in case I didn't get off the ship at the right time or there wasn't a taxi available. I have heard some horror stories of the trip from the train station to the port, but so far I've always done it in less than 10 minutes. The taxi drivers are very good at knowing which routes are least crowded.

I was curious, so I went to megabus/megatrain to do some research. You can go to Southampton from London on Megatrain, but you can't go to Southampton from Winchester. Every time we've taking the train from London to Southampton, there's been a stop at Winchester, so why doesn't Mega allow that? If your plans don't match their "selected stops," you have to book elsewhere at elsewhere's prices.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

While we're on the subject of UK trains, if you're in the US and want to buy UK train tickets, do NOT book through a US-based website, like "britrail" or whatever they call themselves now. Their tickets are often top price, even for lines where you can get good advance fares. Check fares on UK sites like nationalrail or the specific line you want to travel on.