Venice watertaxis

Used them a few years ago and easy to use.This year they are 15 euros pp return for the public ones and 40 euros pp return for private.Easy to use based on a few years ago but did not use them last week.The walk from where the ship docked to the water taxis must have been knocking 1.5 miles,for the mobile/fit easy enough but not for those with walking difficulties/elderly and no courtesy bus provided.

You can train it but you`ll still need to walk that distance or more to get it

Edited by Jim The Scot

Much as it galls me to pay so much, I've decided to book the Thomson Venice on Your Own trip when we're there in July. It will be very hot, there are 5 of us and we've never been before. I think this will give us the longest amount of time to explore, with a guaranteed seat and return time back to the ship. I can imagine waiting in long queues for the water taxis back if there is more than the one ship docked the day we are there, and don't want the stress. Any other time of year I may have considered walking, but not end of July/early August heat.

Gill,we must have docked elsewhere then as I walk with a crutch and struggled and aware of two others who turned back

We just did the venice on your own trip ok slightly dearer but have not been to venice before next time might be different:cool:

We got off the ship and the water taxis were right by the ship, but we were told to go round the other side of the ship. Well, we did, but could not find where to go, so we ended up walking in. Only took about 20 minutes. The disadvantage was we started off in the back streets and, despite a map, got lost several times! We eventually found the Rialto bridge & St Mark's Square. It was October, so not too hot, but I think we were lucky to have a nice sunny day.

We got the vaporetto back and it docked right near the ship.

The heat in July is the problem - Thomson do your own well worth the money.

It drops and picks up near Doges Palace ideal. The only problem with Venice is lack of seating unless you want to pay a Kings Ransom for a drink. We found a restaurant near Rialto Bridge - very reasonable price wise. You will certainly need a rest when back on the Majesty.

I am generally a big user of Thomson excursions but if there is one place where there is no need to take one it is Venice. But don't get the water taxi either. You can catch the monorail to Piazza Roma for one Euro. There you can get a day ticket for the vaparettos (water buses). Unlike so me Italian public transport, it is a very good and efficient service and much more reasonably price than either water taxis or excursions.

If you don't know where to go in Venice then buy the BBC TV series by Francesco Da Mosta on the history of Venice. It is a great series to watch in its own right but once you have seen it you will understand what you are looking at in Venice and you will know which things interest you the most and be able to make sure you see them. Please not St. Mark's Basilica is free to get into anyway so any excursion that includes it is charging to take you to something that is free anyway.

Lastly food in Venice can be expensive but not always. The nearer you are to St Marks Square the more expensive food and drink is. You can actually pay about E30 for a coffee. The Giardini district is a few stops away by vaparetto and the food there is much cheaper plus you will be in the restaurants that actual Venetians use.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that have done the Thomson Venice on your own - how flexible are the timings? Do you have a fixed start time and a fixed return time as with normal shore excursions?

Last time I visited (different cruise line & a few years ago) they had a water shuttle service, so I walked in but just got the ship's boat back when I was ready (think they were running every half hour all day). I presume Thomson doesn't work like this?

This time I want to get to St Mark's Basillica reasonably early - last time I got lost on the walk in, which I highly recommend doing as you see allsorts in the back streets of Venice - but I'd also like to take my time with breakfast and getting ready.

It sounds like the vaporettos may be the more flexible option.

Much as it galls me to pay so much, I've decided to book the Thomson Venice on Your Own trip when we're there in July. It will be very hot, there are 5 of us and we've never been before. I think this will give us the longest amount of time to explore, with a guaranteed seat and return time back to the ship. I can imagine waiting in long queues for the water taxis back if there is more than the one ship docked the day we are there, and don't want the stress. Any other time of year I may have considered walking, but not end of July/early August heat.

thats what we did and the pick-up point for the transfer back was past the fifth bridge past st marks square witch is not far , and there is a bar very close by so you see the boat coming in its very close to its time 16.15