Help choosing cabin

nb125

We have only cruised once and that was with RCCL. Now thinking of booking Nieuw Amsterdam but finding the different categories very confusing. We definitely want a balcony and have the following options.

VB5142, VA8028, VD6162 and VC6122. Can anyone comment on these cabins to help us decide.

If you like high up for the view and aren't prone to sea sickness, I'd say 8028. We had 8057 on the Nieuw A and loved the slightly deeper balcony (7 foot) and the large overhang from the Lido, giving extra shade. If price doesn't matter, that's what I would choose.

The other three are all pretty much the same to me. 6122 and 5142 are much more convenient to elevators. 6162 has a shower only (no tub) if that makes any difference to you.

Edited by catl331

We have only cruised once and that was with RCCL. Now thinking of booking Nieuw Amsterdam but finding the different categories very confusing. We definitely want a balcony and have the following options.

VB5142, VA8028, VD6162 and VC6122. Can anyone comment on these cabins to help us decide.

Just like lunch today, I selected the wine first; then the meal.

On a cruise, I first select side of the ship, port or starboard I prefer and that depends on which will be landward the majority of the time. For example port side in September will give best view when leaving Venice and all the way down the Adriatic sea for various view of Dalmatia, etc.

On a cruise, I first select side of the ship, port or starboard I prefer and that depends on which will be landward the majority of the time.
Since all four of OP's choices are port side, your suggestion doesn't help narrow it down much! ;)

Thanks to everyone for replies which have been very helpful.

With regard to RCI we did enjoy the cruise but had a problem with the overcrowding in the dining venues especially the buffet where it was very difficult to get a table. Hoping that HAL will be better in this respect and if not I have gathered from reading this forum that the room service choice is a lot better.

The cabins are roughly the same. Only location determines the "rank"... VA being the highest rank and therefore the cruise line believes it is the best location. Some people will argue that tho... an aft facing VB trumps a midship VA to some people... so it all depends on your preferences.

Having been on deck 8 in the past, check to see that you are not under the pool deck. I seem to recall very early morning shuffling of deck chairs that was pretty loud. This was on the "O" and while the "NA" is certainly different, the Navigation deck (8) is right under the Lido (9). I didn't look to see where you were stem to stern.

We are now considering splashing out on a suite. Looking at SS 6086. Does anyone have any comments on this stateroom and are there any benefits in booking a suite?