Park in Jersey, train/cab to Manhattan port?

FSRoberts

I know I can park in Manhattan, either at port or with a nyc.bestparking.com garage, but is there anywhere I can park in Jersey for significantly cheaper, and take public transit or a cab to port?

Most threads on parking seemed to suggest this as a general option, but then recommend specific Manhattan garages but don't mention where I might park in Jersey long term. Anyone have ideas?

The major choice that is discussed on this board is parking at Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ for $13-15/day and taking the ferry across to 39th St for $9/pp each way. From 39th St you can walk up to the cruise terminal, take a cab, or use one of the free buses to get closer to the terminal.

Another option is to park at Journal Square Transportation .center in Jersey City for around $13/ day and take PATH to 33rd and 6th for $2.50/pp each way and a cab to the pier.

Both routes are very luggage friendly. What day of the week would you be doing this?

I'm trying to figure out my transportation as well. I'll be working in Jersey City for 1/2 a day on a Tuesday and trying to figure out how to get to the ship from there. I was assuming I'd take the NY Waterway but found out that my closest terminal, Paulus Hook, doesn't have any ferries sailing at mid-day. So if I still want to do the Waterway I'd have to take the Hudson Light Rail to either of the Weehawken terminals. Since it's an 8 day cruise I will have a pretty heavy suitcase and the middle of June will be hot. I don't know how comfortable I'll be lugging it around. I'm also considering the Path option.

Any suggestion on which option might be best?

If you're close to the Exchange Place PATH Station, I'd take the train to Hoboken and transfer to the 33rd St. train for $2.50. At 33rd St I'd get a cab to the port. Another option is to transfer to the 33rd St train at Newport, but you might not get a seat if you do this. If your luggage rolls, this is an easy flat trip - elevator at Exchange Place and elevator exit at 33rd St.

If you're close to a light rail station, you can take that to Hoboken to pick up PATH.

So you think the Path is a better option than the ferry? Wouldn't the ferry get me closer to the pier, eliminating a more expensive taxi ride? I know the cost on Path would only be $2.50 versus $11.50 light rail/ferry combo cost, but if I use their free buses after arrival I can get to just 2 blocks away from the pier which I should be able to handle with luggage. I'm close to the Grove St. Path station which I could take direct to 33rd St. Thanks for your help.

So you think the Path is a better option than the ferry? Wouldn't the ferry get me closer to the pier, eliminating a more expensive taxi ride? I know the cost on Path would only be $2.50 versus $11.50 light rail/ferry combo cost, but if I use their free buses after arrival I can get to just 2 blocks away from the pier which I should be able to handle with luggage. I'm close to the Grove St. Path station which I could take direct to 33rd St. Thanks for your help.

We've done both (PATH; Light Rail & ferry combination). Personally, we prefer the Light Rail & ferry combination (traveling from Hoboken).

But if you're close to the Grove Street station, you might as well just take the PATH train all the way to 33rd St. and catch a cab from there. Otherwise, you'll be using four different forms of transportation (PATH, Light Rail, ferry, shuttle bus), with interchanges between each.

If I recall correctly, you will need to use a combination of escalator and stairs to get down to the platform at the Grove St. PATH station. There's a small elevator to street level at the 33rd St. station.

We've done both (PATH; Light Rail & ferry combination). Personally, we prefer the Light Rail & ferry combination (traveling from Hoboken).

But if you're close to the Grove Street station, you might as well just take the PATH train all the way to 33rd St. and catch a cab from there. Otherwise, you'll be using four different forms of transportation (PATH, Light Rail, ferry, shuttle bus), with interchanges between each.

If I recall correctly, you will need to use a combination of escalator and stairs to get down to the platform at the Grove St. PATH station. There's a small elevator to street level at the 33rd St. station.

Thanks for the info. As you said, I would have to manage my luggage down some stairs at the PATH station. Do you know approximately how much a taxi from 33rd to the pier would cost?