Mariner #'s

That sounds very plausible. It may be a way that HAL tracks its new customers from their originating source, as in first time cruiser within the Carnival Corporations's group of cruiselines, no FCD involved; new cruisers with FCD; new to HAL but have sailed on another Carnival Corporation line; new to Carnival Corporation/HAL but have cruised on other non-Carnival Corporation cruise lines etc.

Our numbers start with 05 (2004). We were first time cruisers with no prior cruises on any line.

I'm trying to figure out how they would know if you have cruised before but not with them. I know there was nothing on the registration I filled out for the agency handling the group asking if I had cruised before and on what line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried it regarding our numbers, but ran into a couple of anomalies. Our numbers - issued at the same time - have identical digits for the first 6; the last 3 are different, but are 8 numbers apart in sequence.

When I ran my number through the process it processed out to 0. The DH's number processed out to 2.

My DS (and my techo geek) found it interesting but could not come up with a solution.

Any suggestions from the CC'rs? (POA1 and VioletHorse). ;)

Okie

Without knowing your actual numbers, it's not possible to know where the problem is. To be honest, I did not use the on-line calculator. I calculated it the old fashioned way, by hand on a legal pad. I do know that there is no correlation between two or more account numbers. The algorithm works for calculating the check digit for a single account number.

I'm trying to figure out how they would know if you have cruised before but not with them. I know there was nothing on the registration I filled out for the agency handling the group asking if I had cruised before and on what line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've used 3 different TAs over the years, and each always asked about other lines we'd cruised previously. That said, my examples were just a guess on my part. If you were booking as a group, maybe that is another category that HAL tracks with specific Mariner numbers.

I do know that Carnival Corp. lines share passenger names. DH has never sailed on Princess and I've sailed on Princess 2x. We get Princess brochures addressed to both of us on a regular basis. And speaking of numbers, Princess has assigned DH a dummy Captain's Circle number which is not a valid Captain's Circle number.

Without knowing your actual numbers, it's not possible to know where the problem is. To be honest, I did not use the on-line calculator. I calculated it the old fashioned way, by hand on a legal pad. I do know that there is no correlation between two or more account numbers. The algorithm works for calculating the check digit for a single account number.

Ooooh... Fancy! :) (OK, it's not that hard since it's mod 10. I'm still annoyed with myself for not realizing it was Luhn. Grrrr.)

Anyway...

The Wikipedia article has a pretty easy to follow example of how to calculate the checksum here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm

Scroll down to the Description section.

I checked the Mariner numbers of everyone I know, assuming I knew their birthday, and ZIP code. They all validate.

The ID codes that I get in my e-mails from HAL do not validate.

As far as those of you with non-sequential numbers (first 8 digits) are concerned. I have a theory. In olden days, Mariner numbers were probably added to passenger records via a manual process after sailing the first time. The person processing the manifest might have had a non-stateroom ordered list.

My alternate theory is that more than one person was assigned to the task of inputting the numbers, making skip sequence numbers more likely.

My auxiliary theory is that the person adding numbers went to lunch in between spouse one & spouse two, causing a gap.

My emergency backup theory is that there were other people hiding in your stateroom. You didn't see them because they were real quiet and sneaky. Not only did they live in your cabin without your consent, they stole the numbers between yours and your beloved's.

Edited by POA1

Did you put in just the first 8 digits, hit Calculate, and the "Next Check Digit" that it gave you did not match the 9th digit in each case? If that's the case I would log on the HAL site and Look Up Mariner Number to see if that says the same numbers you're using.

Both checked out as they should have. This has been an interesting experiment.

VioletHorse - Kudos to you for calculating this using paper and pencil. You are much better person than I am Gunga Din.

Okie

Edited by Okie1946

My first cruise was with Princess followed by 2 HAL cruises and then Cunard. My Princess and Cunard id numbers are the same (which may explain why Cunard had my passport information prefilled when I logged on the first time!); my HAL number is different.

I just checked my partner's Mariner # - the first 8 digits of his are the next sequential one after mine and the 9th/check digits are verified using that Luhn calculator posted.

Edited by Boytjie

Interesting. Using the Luhn Algorithm, both sets of our numbers check out, and without the final digit, my and DW's numbers are sequential.

That still doesn't explain why HAL changed ours, but it does clear up why it appeared that there were 17 other people given numbers between mine and hers.

Dave

Ooooh... Fancy! :) (OK, it's not that hard since it's mod 10. I'm still annoyed with myself for not realizing it was Luhn. Grrrr.)

Anyway...

The Wikipedia article has a pretty easy to follow example of how to calculate the checksum here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm

Scroll down to the Description section.

I checked the Mariner numbers of everyone I know, assuming I knew their birthday, and ZIP code. They all validate.

The ID codes that I get in my e-mails from HAL do not validate.

As far as those of you with non-sequential numbers (first 8 digits) are concerned. I have a theory. In olden days, Mariner numbers were probably added to passenger records via a manual process after sailing the first time. The person processing the manifest might have had a non-stateroom ordered list.

My alternate theory is that more than one person was assigned to the task of inputting the numbers, making skip sequence numbers more likely.

My auxiliary theory is that the person adding numbers went to lunch in between spouse one & spouse two, causing a gap.

My emergency backup theory is that there were other people hiding in your stateroom. You didn't see them because they were real quiet and sneaky. Not only did they live in your cabin without your consent, they stole the numbers between yours and your beloved's.

Darn - the secret is out. Calculating by hand sounded so very complicated, brilliant and fancy, but the reality is that it's simple arithmetic once you've got the formula.

I agree with your theories about the gaps in travelling companions' numbers except for the emergency backup theory. Our DS and DD lived with us in our cabin on that first HAL cruise, and unfortunately they were neither sneaky nor quiet. It made quite the argument for never having more thatn 2 adults in a cabin on any future cruises.

Interesting. Using the Luhn Algorithm, both sets of our numbers check out, and without the final digit, my and DW's numbers are sequential.

That still doesn't explain why HAL changed ours, but it does clear up why it appeared that there were 17 other people given numbers between mine and hers.

No, there are not 17 Mariner numbers between yours and your wife's; there is only one correct digit for the preceding 8 digits. For example, if your id ended in xxxxxxx11 and your wife's in xxxxxxx28 there cannot be a xxxxxxx12, xxxxxxx13 etc. as the check digit would not be valid.

No, there are not 17 Mariner numbers between yours and your wife's; there is only one correct digit for the preceding 8 digits. For example, if your id ended in xxxxxxx11 and your wife's in xxxxxxx28 there cannot be a xxxxxxx12, xxxxxxx13 etc. as the check digit would not be valid.

Peter,

Yes, that is what I was saying -- I meant that the explanation about the algorithm cleared up my earlier comment that our numbers were 18 apart (post #23 in the thread) . When I take off the check digit at the end, our numbers are sequential. The algortihm explanation "cleared up why it appeared" there were.

For example (not real numbers), one ends in xxx330 and the other in xx348. Take off the check number and they end in xx33 and xx34 -- sequential.

I still don't know why we started with numbers beginning with 045 and were then switched to ones beginning with 029.

Dave

In the case of my DB and DSiL, it was Dec 2009, and the numbers were assigned within 24 hours of my putting down a deposit for them while aboard a ship, about 9 months before their first cruise on any line. Their digits 6>8 are 873 and 965, a gap of 92!

It's highly likely that both their names and other vital information were in the same email, making the "two processors" theory unlikely, and the lunch hour break theory slightly less so. IMO. But I don't have any alternate theories to offer. :) Edited by jtl513

Our Mariner #s were issued in 2003, 9 digits each, beginning with 046. Numbers are sequential with last 3 digits being 8 numbers apart. DH's ends with 904, mine 912. A number of posters have 8 numbers separating their Mariner # and their spouse's, so it must mean something.

EDIT: RetiredMustang- I just reread your post and see what you mean. Excluding the check digit at the end of our #s we would end in 90 and 91, sequential.

Edited by cruisin'girl

In the case of my DB and DSiL, it was Dec 2009, and the numbers were assigned within 24 hours of my putting down a deposit for them while aboard a ship, about 9 months before their first cruise on any line. Their digits 6>8 are 873 and 965, a gap of 92!

It's highly likely that both their names and other vital information were in the same email, making the "two processors" theory unlikely, and the lunch hour break theory slightly less so. IMO. But I don't have any alternate theories to offer. :)

Perhaps they have some Mariner Number odds & ends lying around, maybe in an old coffee can? I know some people do that when they have extra nuts and bolts left over when assembling things. Maybe their wives said, "Before you drive all the way to the hardware store and waste money on new Mariner Numbers, check that stupid can you have in the garage. You always tell me that you keep all the spares in there 'in case you need them,' but every time you need a new Mariner Number, you drive down to the hardware store and buy new ones. And don't even think about buying any more tools!"

When the employee went to assign your numbers, they probably pulled them out of the coffee can. Do your numbers have any rust on them?

Perhaps they have some Mariner Number odds & ends lying around, maybe in an old coffee can? I know some people do that when they have extra nuts and bolts left over when assembling things. Maybe their wives said, "Before you drive all the way to the hardware store and waste money on new Mariner Numbers, check that stupid can you have in the garage. You always tell me that you keep all the spares in there 'in case you need them,' but every time you need a new Mariner Number, you drive down to the hardware store and buy new ones. And don't even think about buying any more tools!"

When the employee went to assign your numbers, they probably pulled them out of the coffee can. Do your numbers have any rust on them?

Pass whatever you are drinking over to me :D;):p.

hi Yes 9 digits

I'm surprised that your number is so high. Ours start with 012 and their from the early 1990s. I checked some friends of ours and theirs are 046 from 2003.

I'm surprised that your number is so high. Ours start with 012 and their from the early 1990s. I checked some friends of ours and theirs are 046 from 2003.

Mine is from 1984 and it starts with 013. I guess mine came from the coffee can

I was wondering if mine perhaps came from the days we used to sail on Cunard. That would have been a long time ago - maybe they just added zeroes at the beginning to bring the digits up to 9 - or maybe they used the coffee can for me, too!