Summit Oceanview Cafe Changes

cle-guy

So once again the description of the plates sounds awful for vegetarians.

I would get eggs but once they're in a pan together with the bacon and sausage they're inedible to me. I can't imagine I'm the only person that feels that way.

And I DO mix whatever has no meat from the asian and the mexican ,etc. on one plate.

We eat breakfast and dinner in Blu so those won't be an issue and I hope the Aqua Spa Cafe will have something for lunch if all the buffets go to small plates. :(

There are a variety of pre-prepped egg dishes, not just the single option of egg with bacon and sausage as well as the option to get cooked-to-order. They had eggs with peppers and onions, they had plain eggs they had eggs with cheese as examples. One morning was a quiche of some sort as well. BUT ALWAYS THE OPTION TO GET FRESH MADE SCRAMBLED EGGS (or any other way) from the cooked to order station.

Point is - the variety is still there, the options still there, Celebrity is still concerned about its vegetarians and others with special dietary restrictions and choices. If one wants to mix mexican and asian, one can grab one of each, or get stir fry custom made then dump the mexican onto it.

So once again the description of the plates sounds awful for vegetarians.

I would get eggs but once they're in a pan together with the bacon and sausage they're inedible to me. I can't imagine I'm the only person that feels that way.

And I DO mix whatever has no meat from the asian and the mexican ,etc. on one plate.

We eat breakfast and dinner in Blu so those won't be an issue and I hope the Aqua Spa Cafe will have something for lunch if all the buffets go to small plates. :(

They had some vegetarian hot options (mostly Indian or Asian inspired) as well as make your own salad and different cold salads. Also there is pasta that they make for you at the pasta station and pizza at the pizza station. They also had macaroni and cheese. It might not be 100% perfect but there should be options for you. There is also the Aqua Spa Cafe for lunch and I believe they had a vegetarian option. Plus the MDR is open for lunch on sea days and I think there's always vegetarian options on their menu.

(did anyone see bread pudding on this cruise?) I sure did miss that. LOL

I saw it 2 times, one day was chocolate flavored in a buffet pan being served at the cake satiation (not sure if it was lunch or diner service) and another they had small pre-prepped portions in larger ceramic ramekins, just the normal style. But it certainly wasn't out every day.

My DH and I found the portions for lunch to be big. ... My DH and I finally realized if they continue to do this we will try and coordinate what we want to eat, if possible so we don't each take a basket.

That's what I did with mom, we shared the dishes so we could sample more of them.

Love NCL. The reviews confuse me in a way because it seems the bad reviews that NCL gets are usually from those that don't like the freestyle concept. Now, more of the ships seem to be copying the freestyle concept. .

It's the natural order of things, at least for American cruising. Americans like to spend less time eating and more time being entertained. Great for cruise lines because freestyle requires less staff, which equates to more profit.

I don't see there will much choice; cruisers are just going to have to get used to cuts and less service or find a more expensive alternative.

I do wonder about international cruising however, Europeans use meals as time for meeting with friends and family. Meals easily last two hours. How will they take to the American fast food format?

Burt

It's the natural order of things, at least for American cruising. Americans like to spend less time eating and more time being entertained. Great for cruise lines because freestyle requires less staff, which equates to more profit.

I don't see there will much choice; cruisers are just going to have to get used to cuts and less service or find a more expensive alternative.

I do wonder about international cruising however, Europeans use meals as time for meeting with friends and family. Meals easily last two hours. How will they take to the American fast food format?

Burt

Dining for us is a high point of each day. We always travel with friends and we use all of our allotted 2 hr time frame:D We have been politely kicked out a few times so they can set up for the late seating lol It's more than just a meal for us.

Thank-you for posting a picture.

I was asking for this a while back in the thread and you are the first.

This is what worries me, the portions look huge. I was hoping for mini-portions like at the Wicked Spoon in Vegas. On the other hand, there will be much less opportunity for germs to spread on ships if you only touch your own plate.

I agree, they look much bigger than the Wicked Spoon, the ultimate buffet for comparison? As a matter of fact, I don't remember any pre-plated combo meals at the Wicked Spoon, but I haven't back for my annual trip since October, so that's quite different.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Burt

To each his own, but I agree with some of the above. More and more, we as Americans are not used to be being catered to. We love rushing, hurrying, and in relation to the world, we take less vacation, eat quicker lunches, etc. I think more cruiselines/hotels have figured out that as long as the “price” is right, Americans will be cool with it.

As far as comparing the Summit buffet to Fast Food, based on my recent experience - I’d have to say Fast Food crushes the Summit Buffet. I’ve not worked in the hospitality industry, but I’ve eaten fast food for 30 years and love it :) And I can honestly say that the whoppers at Burger King or the Fries at McDonald’s, are usually fresher than what was served on Summit. Not to mention, Fast Food is way more organized in that condiments were plentiful and in logical places, lines were shorter. If I ask for new fries, yes there’s a wait, but they allow it - unlike 2 times on Summit where they got confrontational until I used the Maitre’D’s name (Sorin).

Again to each his own, I’m just reporting my experience and as someone who writes mostly positive reviews, I have no reason to slander X or any cruise line.

Too bad X doesn’t let the Old Country Buffet chain run its buffet, or let Burger King run the pool grill.

On the flip side, X’s MDR has been stellar, and was stellar on my recent cruise. I wonder how long before they figure out that their customers will tolerate lesser quality and service in the MDR?

I’d give it 2 years. Let them integrate the Suite dining room to satisfaction, and then they’ll reduce service even more knowing full well that their customers will say “no big deal. a cruise is what you make of it”

Smart. I like to see a business make an honest profit, and until my recent cruise I never ever thought you could reduce services to customers and succeed. But if your customers aren’t that demanding to begin with, then I guess it’s no harm no foul as far as the customer perceives.

To each his own, but I agree with some of the above. More and more, we as Americans are not used to be being catered to. We love rushing, hurrying, and in relation to the world, we take less vacation, eat quicker lunches, etc. I think more cruiselines/hotels have figured out that as long as the “price” is right, Americans will be cool with it.

As far as comparing the Summit buffet to Fast Food, based on my recent experience - I’d have to say Fast Food crushes the Summit Buffet. I’ve not worked in the hospitality industry, but I’ve eaten fast food for 30 years and love it :) And I can honestly say that the whoppers at Burger King or the Fries at McDonald’s, are usually fresher than what was served on Summit. Not to mention, Fast Food is way more organized in that condiments were plentiful and in logical places, lines were shorter. If I ask for new fries, yes there’s a wait, but they allow it - unlike 2 times on Summit where they got confrontational until I used the Maitre’D’s name (Sorin).

Again to each his own, I’m just reporting my experience and as someone who writes mostly positive reviews, I have no reason to slander X or any cruise line.

Too bad X doesn’t let the Old Country Buffet chain run its buffet, or let Burger King run the pool grill.

On the flip side, X’s MDR has been stellar, and was stellar on my recent cruise. I wonder how long before they figure out that their customers will tolerate lesser quality and service in the MDR?

I’d give it 2 years. Let them integrate the Suite dining room to satisfaction, and then they’ll reduce service even more knowing full well that their customers will say “no big deal. a cruise is what you make of it”

Smart. I like to see a business make an honest profit, and until my recent cruise I never ever thought you could reduce services to customers and succeed. But if your customers aren’t that demanding to begin with, then I guess it’s no harm no foul as far as the customer perceives.

I sure hope you're wrong! :(

Service is what has always distinguished a cruise from other vacations for us. :(

Dining for us is a high point of each day. We always travel with friends and we use all of our allotted 2 hr time frame:D We have been politely kicked out a few times so they can set up for the late seating lol It's more than just a meal for us.

Same for us and honestly the changes (cuts) we are seeing in the cruise line industry are making us rethink cruising as our getaway. We sail next week on the Summit and we are looking forward to visiting Bermuda, but we cruise because we like the elegant style of vacationing and that seems to be what most folks don't want anymore. I have to laugh when folks talk up the pizza for a tasty lunch. I don't need to go on a cruise to get good pizza, burgers and hotdogs.:rolleyes:

Burt

Filling those heavy silver pots and baskets they could just have the servers scoop the buffet food and not let anyone touch the food. I do not eat what I do not recognize and since nothing was labeled it was anyone's guess on my cruise what the food was. I do not eat breakfast sandwiches on a Modern Luxury cruise. This is not the golden arches. People are comparing the old buffet style to cafeteria but what 5 star restaurant writes on bread with a marker? (it was wrapped in paper thankfully) I saw everyone walk by the bread area and not one person picked up a single piece anytime I was getting my cup of yogurt which is next to the bread. It isn't appetizing or appealing. It is fast food at best. Fortunately the MDR is still available. My daughter has food allergies and there is no possible way I would risk her eating food that is lumped together. I like my food on a plate not a bucket or a basket. I don't care if it is made out of gold it was not appealing. They did not have trays to carry this with on 5/18 so anyone handicapped was supposed to juggle the buckets and baskets while looking for a table. With a single plate you can get a taste of food you desire and the servers can place it there with no contamination from other passengers. Simple and everyone gets exactly what they want for breakfast without waste.

People are comparing the old buffet style to cafeteria but what 5 star restaurant writes on bread with a marker? (it was wrapped in paper thankfully)

[sNIP]

They did not have trays to carry this with on 5/18 so anyone handicapped was supposed to juggle the buckets and baskets while looking for a table.

[sNIP]

everyone gets exactly what they want for breakfast without waste.

First of all no 5 star restaurant will have a buffet to begin with, but a luxury cruise line will do what they can to make one as appealing as they can. As to the breads, I think it makes them stay fresher but not being exposed to air over time, and provides a big range of options, there were probably over half a dozen selections to choose from, I tried at least 3, so someone was eating it... Also, as you discuss waste, if the breads were out and not in the bags, they would have to throw them away after every service whatever was put out and not used, with the bags, they can stay fresh all day and be used throughout the say without being discarded after every service. Also the bags prevent the spread of germs directly to the food item, if germs are being spread the wrap will get it lessening the chance one may ingest them.

The trays issue was resolved on the cruise following yours, so no longer a problem. Celebrity listened to its guests clearly in this regard.

Buffets generate waste no matter how you look at it - more than other food service operations. People scoop something to taste and leave the rest. The pan on the line go cold or crusty and get tossed with a fresh one presented. Buffets makes lots of waste when food is out out in large portions so the discussion of waster relative to the changes is probably almost moot, but I believe the portion control makes the new system actually less wasteful.

Edited by cle-guy

This reminds me why we sailed Carnival once and ONLY once.

Buffets generate waste no matter how you look at it - more than other food service operations. People scoop something to taste and leave the rest. The pan on the line go cold or crusty and get tossed with a fresh one presented. Buffets makes lots of waste when food is out out in large portions so the discussion of waster relative to the changes is probably almost moot, but I believe the portion control makes the new system actually less wasteful.

Yes yes, cle-guy you are obviously the good defender for wasting food, but the problem is many folks have lifestyle habits of not wasting food. Wasting food is quite frankly offensive to many people. Even if the ship does have to throw it away later, at least folks who try not waste food don't feel that they contributed to the situation. And because more food is obviously being served to provide the same meals, doesn't that logically mean the crew is wasting more food than before the change? Somewhere the company has justified the extra cost for wasted food, but that doesn’t make it any less offensive.

I know in your mind you have justified the changes as a positive step forward, but justifying more food waste is hard for me to swallow.

Burt

Yes yes, cle-guy you are obviously the good defender for wasting food

[sNIP]

And because more food is obviously being served to provide the same meals, doesn't that logically mean the crew is wasting more food than before the change?

ANYONE who uses a buffet is a defender of wasting food, not just me. Buffets create waste, the F&B operation is successful when it works to lessen the waste, but there is always far more waste in a buffet than a served meal. Besides the spoiled, and rotated out food, people become pigs and take way more than they would consume if they were served. Simply Look at the crowd at Old Country Buffet to confirm this or those who have grown so large they no longer walk on their own and run around on little motor scooters, food tray attached to the basket and filling it up. So any argument about waste makes little sense, unless there is thought to lessening that waste.

I don't know how you can say OBVIOUSLY more is being served. I always got scrambled eggs a few sausage links and a few bacon strips for breakfast. I would go find breakfast potatoes and other additional items and slap on my plate, now I just grab and go with the pot and don't really think about the 'taters most days. Now I get the eggs and only 2 bacon and 2 sausage automatically, unless I go seek out additional meats. So already they have saved a sausage link from my platter for example.

This theory only works if you believe they are still preparing the same overall amount of food as in the past. My food service experience and bachelor's degree in hospitality lead me to believe they are now preparing less food as there is no more of the throwing as much unused food that was set on the buffet but not taken, especially with regard to swapping out half used buffet pans every 20 or 30 minutes or so to replace with fresh foods which needs to happen both for food sanitation and temperature control reasons as well as the presentation of the food itself. Now the pans are kept in the kitchen and prepped to order in essence with the mini dishes. Also that they now only use half the buffet stations, especially at dinner, means less duplication of those pans that need rotated throughout service. Those who feel the mini dishes are too much and throw away uneaten portions most likely are less than the offsetting savings of the half used buffet pans that get rotated out multiple times during service.

In times of cost cutting, I highly doubt they have made a decision to increase to cost of the food in the buffet, I think they have sought ways to control costs while enhancing the service at the same time, part of how this took management a year or so (this is what the F&B director Martin told me in a conversation about the changes) to put a plan together that suited the bean counters, F&B operation, and marketing folks all together.

I don't know how you can say OBVIOUSLY more is being served. .

Your kidding right? Folks are complaining because they have to take more food just to get what they normally eat, and you don't see how they are serving more food? Hmmm.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Burt

Most folks.???

Crusie Critic is a very small community relative to actual cruisers, and the vocal community is even smaller. It is made up of a large "vocal minority". In human terms generally you will hear far more from someone with a complaint and rarely hear from those who are satisfied.

So I generally work under the old marketing theory that there are 10 happy people to every dissatisfied person in general.

Most folks.???

Crusie Critic is a very small community relative to actual cruisers, and the vocal community is even smaller. It is made up of a large "vocal minority". In human terms generally you will hear far more from someone with a complaint and rarely hear from those who are satisfied.

So I generally work under the old marketing theory that there are 10 happy people to every dissatisfied person in general.

Yikes! That would be 200 - 300 dissatisfied cruisers on each cruise. That seems rather high to me.

Yikes! That would be 200 - 300 dissatisfied cruisers on each cruise. That seems rather high to me.

Yes, but there's always levels of dissatisfaction. Overall our cruise was great and we thought all the food was very good. Just because we voice our dissatisfaction over certain elements doesn't me we are totally dissatisfied and did not enjoy our cruise.

Most folks.???

Yes, but that doesn't mean the small sampling isn't indicative of the reality for the majority.

I work under the marketing theory that keeping ones head stuck in the sand doesn't expose real problems. Logic behooves companies to listen during changes.

Burt

and we know they do, besides the comment surveys received after each cruise the feedback they receive overall will either implement these changes on a more permanent basis or they will re-evaluate and perhaps try something else. If they want to keep the bread fresh then wrap it in something transparent and don't write on it. Either way the paper is a huge non eco friendly waste and does that mean the dinner rolls are going to show up in the MDR the same way? If you want to talk about sanitary then they need to get the butter off the table with the sour cream and hummus. Although it looks lovely in the MDR but I cannot tell you how many times I have been seated at a table with double dippers. Now I save a few calories eating without butter!

We all have our opinions which is what makes life interesting but I am hoping they come up with something better going forward. :)

Yes, but that doesn't mean the small sampling isn't indicative of the reality for the majority.

I work under the marketing theory that keeping ones head stuck in the sand doesn't expose real problems. Logic behooves companies to listen during changes.

Burt

And if you read thru the threads, you see where they are doing just that, watching from the corners, adjusting daily, making small changes, adding and removing certain self serve items responding to comments over an entire year to develop a plan. Addition of trays to the system, adding a 3rd omelette station to mast grill to take the rush off the stations in the buffet etc. enhancing the appearance of the display of the items to make it less of a high school cafeteria to give it a more "modern luxury" look and feel, for a buffet anyways.

They are reacting DAILY to comments received, sometimes even meal service to meal service within a day there are modifications and tweaks.

So I guess we finally agree that they are doing something right by listening to their customers. If the majority were telling them onboard they were dissatisfied, it would have reverted back already, that they keep tweaking the concept, means they must be getting far more positive comments, unless they are that stupid, which I as a shareholder would therm have to take issue with.

When I was talking to the F&B director the person ahead of me was positive, the person behind me was offering positive comments. the only negative comment one had was he wanted them to have the buffet open 24 hours because he wanted a sandwich at 4:30 am when his wife woke him up with her snoring and didn't want room service delivering and waking his wife. Clearly there must have been some after I left with some negative comments, but I didn't observe that.

So is this small sampling of 100% satisfied customers indicative of the reality for the majority?

And if you read thru the threads, you see where they are doing just that, watching from the corners, adjusting daily, making small changes, adding and removing certain self serve items responding to comments over an entire year to develop a plan. Addition of trays to the system, adding a 3rd omelette station to mast grill to take the rush off the stations in the buffet etc. enhancing the appearance of the display of the items to make it less of a high school cafeteria to give it a more "modern luxury" look and feel, for a buffet anyways.

They are reacting DAILY to comments received, sometimes even meal service to meal service within a day there are modifications and tweaks.

So I guess we finally agree that they are doing something right by listening to their customers. If the majority were telling them onboard they were dissatisfied, it would have reverted back already, that they keep tweaking the concept, means they must be getting far more positive comments, unless they are that stupid, which I as a shareholder would therm have to take issue with.

When I was talking to the F&B director the person ahead of me was positive, the person behind me was offering positive comments. the only negative comment one had was he wanted them to have the buffet open 24 hours because he wanted a sandwich at 4:30 am when his wife woke him up with her snoring and didn't want room service delivering and waking his wife. Clearly there must have been some after I left with some negative comments, but I didn't observe that.

So is this small sampling of 100% satisfied customers indicative of the reality for the majority?

I do like the idea of breakfast at the mast grill. :)

I believe they have stopped the 24 hour room service. Room service is available, but I think it is closed midnight to early morning.

I do like the idea of breakfast at the mast grill. :)

I believe they have stopped the 24 hour room service. Room service is available, but I think it is closed midnight to early morning.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-room-service

Says it's still there though I've heard of other lines limiting hours, and some charging a "late night delivery fee".

X does state it closes at midnight final night of sailing. Actually I just looked at my final days daily from summit, and it said it as open tip 1am final night....so they still and full service at least a week ago.... I know in November on reflection I ordered a pizza at 3 am...and regretted that decision the rest of the night LOL

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-room-service

Says it's still there though I've heard of other lines limiting hours, and some charging a "late night delivery fee".

X does state it closes at midnight final night of sailing. Actually I just looked at my final days daily from summit, and it said it as open tip 1am final night....so they still and full service at least a week ago.... I know in November on reflection I ordered a pizza at 3 am...and regretted that decision the rest of the night LOL

I think the recent change is midnight to 5 a.m....no free room service.