Anyone Just Arranged a Taxi at Civitavecchia port gate upon arrival?

Bootsy15

Hi

We are a family of 4 who usually just get off the boat and arrange a taxi at the port to take us on an excursion.

Has anyone had any experience of this at Civitavecchia travelling to Rome and back? We are wondering whether taxis are available as you come off the ship or at the port gates?:confused:

Also, can anyone give us a rough idea of the cost for the days hire?

Many thanks

:)

Hi

We are a family of 4 who usually just get off the boat and arrange a taxi at the port to take us on an excursion.

Has anyone had any experience of this at Civitavecchia travelling to Rome and back? We are wondering whether taxis are available as you come off the ship or at the port gates?:confused:

Many thanks

There really aren't taxi's for hire when u get off the ship. Your best bet is to arrange for a taxi service or a car to pick you up and take you to Rome and, I'm assuming back to the ship? If that be the case, you would have to pay the taxi driver additional $ to get back to his original location (Rome?). It's about 45 mins to an hour to get into Rome from Civit..I think your best bet is to find a service, go on your Roll Call and post for others, or see about arranging an excursion thru a private company.....Civit is a VERY small seaport town, used primarilly for the ships. It's not a heavy tourist town.

If you are new to Europe and have been cruising in the Carib an FYI...it is not evn close to the same...most ports are industrial,and cabs are not there for taking you places.You have some great advice from the other poster.

We were there last week and there were people around when we got off the. Shuttle bus offering trips to Rome.we didn't go as we had been before,so we looked round the town.we did find the train station and enquired how much a return trip to Rome would be and it was 12 euros return,there seemed to be a train every half hour or so as well.you could then do a hop on hop off trip in Rome

AS other posters' comments, Europe is very different to the Caribbean.

A taxi for the day will cost you a mortgage. :eek:

If you want private transportation you need to pre-book through an operator such as those mentioned - they're not cheap but may suit your circumstances.

The other big difference between Europe & the Caribbean is public transport. It's extensive, frequent, cheap & generally reliable - and very much the choice of DIY cruisers.

Plenty of advice about the train from Civi on other threads on this forum, or by googling Roninrome.

In Rome itself, Colosseum through The Forum to the Vittorio Emanueli monument & on to the Pantheon(not the other way round, the Forum has an exit but not an entrance at the VE end) is a sensible walking route, Trevi, Spanish Steps & certainly Vatican are a bit far to walk in your time-scale but train tickets include free travel on Rome's metro & service buses, or you could take the occasional short taxi ride.

I think most cruisers would agree that Rome's ho-ho's don't suit a foreshortened day on a port-of-call visit, they're too time-consuming & don't get near places like Pantheon, Trevi or Spanish Steps.

I've mentioned just a few of Rome's sights - but you'd be hard-pressed to visit all those I mentioned. You gotta be disciplined in what you think you can achieve.

JB :)

A car service or cab for the full day will run between 350 - 500 Euro.

OR you can pay 48 euro for the train for all 4 of you!!! TONS of info here about how to maximize your day in Rome via train. We've done it multiple times as have many many others on these boards. If there are specific sites you want to see, just ask and someone will give you step by step directions.

In Rome itself, Colosseum through The Forum to the Vittorio Emanueli monument & on to the Pantheon(not the other way round, the Forum has an exit but not an entrance at the VE end) is a sensible walking route, Trevi, Spanish Steps & certainly Vatican are a bit far to walk in your time-scale but train tickets include free travel on Rome's metro & service buses, or you could take the occasional short taxi ride.

I am confused. In all my readings, I thought the entrance to the Forum was at the north, near the Piazza Venezia and the exit was at the south, near the Colosseum. Is this incorrect? It was my understanding that you cannot access the Forum directly across from the Colosseum. We have seen the Colosseum and just want to do a DIY tour through the Forum, perhaps with an audio rental.

Thanks for any info,

Penny

I am confused. In all my readings, I thought the entrance to the Forum was at the north, near the Piazza Venezia and the exit was at the south, near the Colosseum. Is this incorrect? It was my understanding that you cannot access the Forum directly across from the Colosseum. We have seen the Colosseum and just want to do a DIY tour through the Forum, perhaps with an audio rental.

Thanks for any info,

Penny

Hi, Penny,

Entrance to the Forum is a three-minute walk from the Colosseum, up Via Dei Fori Imperiali toward the big white and very easy to spot Vittorio Emanuele monument ("the Wedding Cake").

Entrance vaguely opposite the junction with Via Cavour. Short walk, just far enough to make you wonder whether you've missed it ;)

You can then exit the Forum top right behind the V E monument - here there's an exit turnstile but no entrance.

You can also enter/exit the Forum via the Palatine Hill entrance on Via Di San Gregorio, but it's the long way round so don't use it unless you also want to look round the remains of the villas etc on Palatine Hill, which is between Circo Massimo and the Forum.

That was the situation up to about a year ago, I doubt it's changed.

Edited by John Bull

So it seems the train is the best option. Can I assume they are quite frequent and that if we are all aboard for 19:00 that we could leave Rome at 1700 and be ok ?

Also re the train tickets E12 is to use all public transport. Does this offer the best value ? Or is the express train and walk Rome better (not sure of cost)

Thanks

Ps Sorry If I am highjacking just don't want to start a new one :)

Train times at

http://www.trenitalia.com/

If you get no results for your date, pump in same day-of-the-week next week.

And double-check those return times on your way to Rome - some ticket outlets between port & station also give a note of that day's train times

A big advantage of the express is that it doesn't get crowded, a big disadvantage is the frequency. Don't know the fare difference.

Figure a train which gets into Civi at least 30 minutes before back-on-board time, then plan to catch the one before it. So 4.30pm from Termini / 4.45 from Ostiense / 5.00 from San Pietro are vaguely the sort of times you should be looking for.

The included metro/bus pass is useful - more to avoid the delay in figuring where & when & what & how to pay than the actual cost.

Hi, Penny,

Entrance to the Forum is a three-minute walk from the Colosseum, up Via Dei Fori Imperiali toward the big white and very easy to spot Vittorio Emanuele monument ("the Wedding Cake").

Entrance vaguely opposite the junction with Via Cavour. Short walk, just far enough to make you wonder whether you've missed it ;)

You can then exit the Forum top right behind the V E monument - here there's an exit turnstile but no entrance.

You can also enter/exit the Forum via the Palatine Hill entrance on Via Di San Gregorio, but it's the long way round so don't use it unless you also want to look round the remains of the villas etc on Palatine Hill, which is between Circo Massimo and the Forum.

That was the situation up to about a year ago, I doubt it's changed.

Thanks, JB:)

I have heard that there is a change in port exit because of construction right now and that the new port exit being used is quite a way from the station. Has anyone been there recently. How far is the walk to the station now?

Hi

Many thanks

We cruised in 2012 and Civitavecchia was our port for Rome, on leaving the ship (Independence of The Seas) we were approached by several taxi drivers offering their services. We actually had a guy offering six of us, (four adults and two kids aged 8 and 5 a Rome tour for 200 Euro's. My wife haggled him down to 140 Euro (we just kept walking away saying "not interested" ;)) and we ended up with a very nice day in Rome for not a lot of money. We were driven in a nice air conditioned Merc people carrier, with a beautiful young female driver who would drop us off at the usual tourist spots and arrange to pick us up an hour or so later at a pre arranged pick up point. Coliseum, Vatican, Trevi (sp?) fountain, Spanish Steps...all in all a nice day in Rome and driven directly back to the ship...well worth the 140 Euro....If I remember correctly the Independence of the Seas was offering the Rome excursion at $60 a head... You do the maths!:)

Das

Edited by dastardley