Drinking Age for Foreigners

brazilgirl

In my country the legal drinking age starts - depending from the drinks - at 14 (beer and wine, when accompanied by parents), with 16 you are allowed to buy and drink beer and wine, with 18 you are full age with all rights - like drinking and buying all kinds of alcohol.

I think, when you are allowed to serve for your country, to marry another person, to have full custody over a child you should be allowed to decide what you want to drink.

I understand, that some teenagers drink to much - but I also see, that this happens in countries with drinking age of 21 too.

I also respect the right of owner to make the rules and I would never break their rules.

But: Onboard it is just the right of owner - not the law! That´s a difference and thats the reason why some cruiselines change the rules depending on the region they sail.

When in Europe they adapt the rules most European Countries have: legal drinking age at 18....

Wendy

We wouldn't have so many alcohol problems if all teenagers were well-behaved and sat next to their parents every time they had a drink......

Actually it is their business. If HAL serves alcohol to a teenager, and that teenager falls overboard drunk then you can be sure that the lawyers will go after HAL.

igraf

I frequently allowed my then older teen age daughter (17-20 years old at that point) to have a pina colada or othe frou-frou drink on a cruise if she wanted one. It was NO ONE else's business on what my well behaved daughter was doing while in my company.

Businesses make rules to benefit the majority of their customers. This certainly applies to drinking ages for young adults on HAL's ships.. Unfortunately the responsible young adults suffer because of the disruption caused by the irresponsible.

We were once berthed at a dock adjacent to a Carnival ship. The drunken behavior of a large number of youngsters on the Carnival ship made it unpleasant to even be on the same dock with them as we made our way back to our ship. Having them on board the same ship would have been an absolute nightmare.

We wouldn't have so many alcohol problems if all teenagers were well-behaved and sat next to their parents every time they had a drink......

Actually it is their business. If HAL serves alcohol to a teenager, and that teenager falls overboard drunk then you can be sure that the lawyers will go after HAL.

igraf

even when an adult falls off the ship the cruise line is sued...deep pockets...[even when the spouse pushed them!!] But yeah, if it was a minor there'd be millions to pay.

Businesses make rules to benefit the majority of their customers. This certainly applies to drinking ages for young adults on HAL's ships.. Unfortunately the responsible young adults suffer because of the disruption caused by the irresponsible.

We were once berthed at a dock adjacent to a Carnival ship. The drunken behavior of a large number of youngsters on the Carnival ship made it unpleasant to even be on the same dock with them as we made our way back to our ship. Having them on board the same ship would have been an absolute nightmare.

Yes. I bet those Carnival ships rock. Imagine the $$$ they make, make my shares climb! That's a rental market I like to have a share of while living elsewhere....... :p

I don't know about you, but I am a little envious of the young guns today . :) in those regards

I was a "Rockstar" in the 80s and worked in clubs and bars , so I was hardly a babe in the woods . But these kids today make the 80s look like the 50s . *LOL*

No Babyher you WERE a Rockstar as defined by your time. I'm sure you could tell tales.

Rockstars today are defined by the same characteristics- just the venues and circumstances have changed. The emotions, the judgement and the feelings are all the same.

Crazy=Crazy

but I'm ok the crazy has left me, it's been replaced by other things.

But I still remember fondly arriving in Holland as a 17 year old to find the beer flowing freely for one guilder- .62 cents for god's sake and leaving a bar because of shots fired with 'living in america blaring'', a guy pinching my butt and thinking nothing of it.

Yes. I bet those Carnival ships rock. Imagine the $$$ they make, make my shares climb! That's a rental market I like to have a share of while living elsewhere....... :p

When you purchase Carnival (CCL) stock and you are watching the shares SOAR! Keep in mind Holland is part of the CCL stock held company either soaring or sinking...

Edited by Sam.Seattle

When you purchase Carnival (CCL) stock and you are watching the shares SOAR! Keep in mind Holland is part of the CCL stock held company either soaring or sinking...

Hey Sam, I bought during the poop cruise when shares were lower and have risen since. I doubt HAL wags the Carnival dog....but it seems to me booze trumps poop every time.

#notsurewhereyourgoingwiththat

Hey Sam, I bought during the poop cruise when shares were lower and have risen since. I doubt HAL wags the Carnival dog....but it seems to me booze trumps poop every time.

#notsurewhereyourgoingwiththat

I don't disagree... And, it simply makes since that younger folks with upward mobility and current earnings (today's dollars) vs. fixed retirement income spend more freely....

Hello Brazilgirl,

I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise and enjoy all the beauty Alaska has to offer. I am confident that you will also find friendly, polite and nice passengers on board.

I doubt that your son will get carded if he is with your family. Unlike some cruise lines HAL does not have a 21+ disco on board and the night life will be limited.

The sun does not set till well after 10:00pm....

Enjoy!

HAL does have the Northern Lights Night Club on the vista class ships, right?

No age restriction and pretty dead at night....

That is very true. Seems like there's more crew members in there later than passengers. It's a bit more lively on Caribbean cruises than other itineraries. But for the most part it seems like a wasted space on the ships.

No Babyher you WERE a Rockstar as defined by your time. I'm sure you could tell tales.

Rockstars today are defined by the same characteristics- just the venues and circumstances have changed. The emotions, the judgement and the feelings are all the same.

Crazy=Crazy

but I'm ok the crazy has left me, it's been replaced by other things.

But I still remember fondly arriving in Holland as a 17 year old to find the beer flowing freely for one guilder- .62 cents for god's sake and leaving a bar because of shots fired with 'living in america blaring'', a guy pinching my butt and thinking nothing of it.

It was a lot safer to be crazy back then too. What would have just gotten you a sock in the jaw back then , would get you taken down in a hale of gun fire today :(

It was a lot safer to be crazy back then too. What would have just gotten you a sock in the jaw back then , would get you taken down in a hale of gun fire today :(

Huh? "Hale of gunfire?"

Can't post link

Consumption of Alcohol

Once you've left port, the minimum age for the consumption of alcohol varies by cruise line.

Croisières de France, Cruise & Maritime Voyages, Fred. Olsen Cruise Line, P&O Cruises and Pullmantur allow all passengers 18 and older to consume any type of alcoholic beverage they choose.

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships is 21. However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

Costa and MSC Cruises require passengers to be at least 21 for cruises departing from the US, but passengers 18 and older are able to consume alcohol for non-US departures.

Cunard allows guests 18 and older to consume alcoholic beverages, except when in US waters, in which case no alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any passengers under the age of 21.

American Cruise Lines, Blount, Carnival, Crystal Cruises, Disney Cruise Line, Holland America, Hurtigruten, Lindblad, Norwegian, Oceania, Paul Gauguin Cruises, Ponant, Princess, Quark Expeditions, Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn Cruise Line, SeaDream, Silversea, Star Clippers, Swan Hellenic, Viking, Voyages of Discovery and Windstar require passengers to be at least 21 to consume any type of alcohol.

Quite a difference in lines

Edited by Christine Frances

Christine Frances ,

Thanks for copying that...exactly the reason I asked the question in the first place... We took 2 European and one South American cruise on Celebrity and I distinctly remembered reading about the waiver which could be signed.

As we have only recently come to HAL ( this will be our second cruise ) , I wasn't sure. It would be so nice if the initial posters responding could just answer the question nicely. It isn't that hard to simply say. " HAL has a policy of only serving passengers 21 and over. Hope you enjoy your cruise . "

Simple! :) lol!

Can't post link

Consumption of Alcohol

Once you've left port, the minimum age for the consumption of alcohol varies by cruise line.

Croisières de France, Cruise & Maritime Voyages, Fred. Olsen Cruise Line, P&O Cruises and Pullmantur allow all passengers 18 and older to consume any type of alcoholic beverage they choose.

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships is 21. However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

Costa and MSC Cruises require passengers to be at least 21 for cruises departing from the US, but passengers 18 and older are able to consume alcohol for non-US departures.

Cunard allows guests 18 and older to consume alcoholic beverages, except when in US waters, in which case no alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any passengers under the age of 21.

American Cruise Lines, Blount, Carnival, Crystal Cruises, Disney Cruise Line, Holland America, Hurtigruten, Lindblad, Norwegian, Oceania, Paul Gauguin Cruises, Ponant, Princess, Quark Expeditions, Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn Cruise Line, SeaDream, Silversea, Star Clippers, Swan Hellenic, Viking, Voyages of Discovery and Windstar require passengers to be at least 21 to consume any type of alcohol.

Quite a difference in lines

Slight Correction: NCL is 18 and over w/parental permission... Beer and wine only, at least 1 parent will have to be on board...:p:D

Christine Frances ,

Thanks for copying that...exactly the reason I asked the question in the first place... We took 2 European and one South American cruise on Celebrity and I distinctly remembered reading about the waiver which could be signed.

As we have only recently come to HAL ( this will be our second cruise ) , I wasn't sure. It would be so nice if the initial posters responding could just answer the question nicely. It isn't that hard to simply say. " HAL has a policy of only serving passengers 21 and over. Hope you enjoy your cruise . "

Simple! :) lol!

Some of them are incapable of being anything but who they are. Period!

So sorry....