Canopy tour

tvtd4u

Thanks so much, I knew I saw it somewhere, but I got my Saints confused and was looking at the St. Thomas Island tours instead of the St. Maarten.

My wife, who it seems is half bird, was looking forward to this tour. And for myself, I lost 20+ pounds so I could soar like a bird.

Thanks again,

I did a canopy/tree top adventure on a Costa Rica vacation last year (non-cruise). I'll assume they are fairly similar.

It was most def. a once in a lifetime experience. I'm not a hug fan of heights, but didn't want to pass it up and regret it later. When we went it was downpouring, which made all the more interesting.

If this is even an option - go for it. I think you'll regret it if you don't go. I know some of the people we were traveling with who didn't go, wished they had.

For us..ahem...plus sized cruisers, how hard is the canopy tours to do? I worry that the harness might be too tight....or my weight might actually make it hurt to do this.

I'm nothing close to being a skinny mini, and I had no problem. THey had numerous harnesses that seemed to fot every body type in our group (Which varied as there were 10 of us).

If you're interested in what you'll see before flying through the air, here's a cool picture: http://costarica.fotopic.net/p5921272.html

:)

They offer in Roatan and Playa del Carmen. We did the one in Roatan which was great other than the mosquitos. The second to last station they let you do upside down. I scared the heck out of a young lady from England. When we were on the second platform after they finally got her to release her grip on the tree and clipped her to the safety line off by the edge of the platform, I jumped up and down twice on the platform which was about 30' up in the air causing it to waver a little. Her eyes got as big as sauciers and she screamed "STOP IT". My wife told me, Yup that is what you get for being a smarta$$.

Dave

I do know that there is a weight restriction. If you go to the shore excursion site on RCI, it will tell you what the cut-off is.

Had a great time doing it in PV last year; going to do it again in St. Martin, although the cost is worrying me!

I am afraid of heights, I close my eyes when I am on a ferris wheel. I'll be 50 by our cruise in October, but I am in pretty good shape. I don't like free-fall rides at Six Flags. My stomach goes to my throat. I've never been on a zip line. I would love to do this (we swam with Dolphins in Cozumel) and took a helicopter ride (never done that before, either, and it didn't bother me) 5,000 feet up to Denver glacier in Alaska and dogsledded. My husband doesn't want to pay the money if I am going to keep my eyes closed and scream the whole way. I'm afraid I'll regret not trying.

Any comments on whether this is for me or not?

RE: Weight limit - RCCL website says there is a 250 lb weight limit.

Cacky, this one sounds like it might not be for you. Half the fun is probably watching what's around you while you're zipping through the air :D.

I'm 50, active, and in much better shape now then I was in my 40's. I think this sounds like a ball. My son is a 19 (20 before we cruise) year old athlete, who rock climbs and loves ropes courses. We're going to do this. The only thing worrying me is my height, 4'10". There's another thread on the boards about this tour, saying it might be on the tough side for us shorties :rolleyes:. My husband, 54 and not as active as I am, is electing to pass on this one. We'll do it in the morning, go back to the ship and probably head over to Orient for the afternoon.

I've tried e-mailing Loterie Farms to see if this is possible to do on your own, but my e-mail keeps coming back, saying their mailbox is full. The other thread has a post saying that the excursion is only available through the cruise ships, so it looks like we'll be signing up through RCI.

I am afraid of heights, I close my eyes when I am on a ferris wheel. I'll be 50 by our cruise in October, but I am in pretty good shape. I don't like free-fall rides at Six Flags. My stomach goes to my throat. I've never been on a zip line. I would love to do this (we swam with Dolphins in Cozumel) and took a helicopter ride (never done that before, either, and it didn't bother me) 5,000 feet up to Denver glacier in Alaska and dogsledded. My husband doesn't want to pay the money if I am going to keep my eyes closed and scream the whole way. I'm afraid I'll regret not trying.

Any comments on whether this is for me or not?

RE: Weight limit - RCCL website says there is a 250 lb weight limit.

I think it all depends on your fear of heights and how bad it is. Personally, I can't be on a cruise ship balcony because it bothers me. However, I forced myself to do this. I knew I would regret not doing it. I'd say go for it.

Also, where we went they had mini ziplines that you could try only about 10ft or so off the ground. They made you 'master' those before you were allowed on the real thing.

Another thing to check out would be if you can turn back. In CR, once you had begun zip lining there was no turning back & you had to complete the series of lines. Other places, may have paths through the jungle/forest where you can hike back if it really bothers you. That might be something to check out.

I'm afraid of heights too, but I'm doing it. Knowing I'm hooked into a line will help me as I've rock climbed a little and had no height problem. My wife can't wait, so I've worked hard to lose weight and get in shape so we can do this together.

I have a friend who did this in Costa Rica and she is afraid of heights. They slowly worked her up from easy to high and she loved it.

Have fun. Look around. You'll be sorry if you don't watch the view.

Info on this tour :D I called Loterie Farm today (011-590-590-87-86-16) and got this information: They've got an exclusive arrangement with RCI, meaning if you're on an RCI ship, you need to book this tour through the ship (and they said RCI does monitor them). He said if you want to try to do this on your own, come later in the day, and don't tell them you're on a ship, and if there's time after the cruise tours go through, they'll put you in. I don't know about their arrangements with other lines. He says they run 4 cruise tours a day - 2 in the morning, and 2 in the afternoon. Also says they have great hiking, so you could go to do the hiking, and then if there's time at the end of the day and they can accomodate you, do the zip line tour. Oh well, we normally don't do cruise ship excursions, prefer to do things on our own, but guess we'll be booking this one through the ship.

Don't worry, erniesband, your height will be fine. I am not that much taller than you, and had no problems. You have to be a minimum of 48" to do this excursion. Kids do it too - mine are booked for it and looking forward to it!:D

According to this site discussing weight is 220 pounds.

http://www.freestmaarten.com/2005/01/fly-zone-at-loterie-farm.html

As stated in the above noted link:

"The Fly Zone is not for the timid and unfit. If you bring more than 220 pounds to the scale, you need to diet before you are allowed to participate. A certain fitness level is required to enjoy this 90 minute trail through Loterie Farms tree tops. A team of instructors is teaching the basics of handling the harness and clips and guides through the first half hour. Safety is guaranteed if the instructions are being followed. For kids too small to enjoy the main trail, there is a separate "Little Tarzan" trail."

Time to get out the nutri-shakes....darn exclusive arrangements, we are travelling on Princess and I'd love to do this one.

• 1 month later...

Archived