Car Rental in Juneau?

bclinton

How far in advance did you reserve a car? Arriving ncl on June 19th and only just realized that a car is nearly the only way to reach the Shrine and still have more than a token hour at the glacier. Eek!!!:eek:

I tried booking with Avis through Costco and it says "This is a non-participating location.":confused:

Maybe they reserved the max cars for that day? I have our confirmation, so I hope they honor it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

• 2 months later...
Yes, we left the car at the hotel. That will not be a problem. They will tell you where to park it.

Thanks!! It's much cheaper to get the car for the short period of time and be able to go where ever we want when we are there :) Only 1 week until we leave, so excited

Thanks!! It's much cheaper to get the car for the short period of time and be able to go where ever we want when we are there :) Only 1 week until we leave, so excited

Yes, plus you can stay longer at the Glacier than the tours do. That is what we did. We got it for $58. Check online for codes.

Yes, plus you can stay longer at the Glacier than the tours do. That is what we did. We got it for $58. Check online for codes.

Just found a wonderful code and got an intermediate for $51.00 with taxes and that's with it only being a week until our cruise :)

Just found a wonderful code and got an intermediate for $51.00 with taxes and that's with it only being a week until our cruise :)

That's amazing! What company is that with? I would love to find one....and find the coupon code too! We are also on HAL...maybe on the same ship!

That's amazing! What company is that with? I would love to find one....and find the coupon code too! We are also on HAL...maybe on the same ship!

I booked with Avis and maybe it's a great deal because we don't have it for the whole day. Found the code by searching on google for it. We are on the Westerdam out of Seattle leaving 8/23

Beware of the Juneau AVIS location, as they tried to bait-and-switch me on both price and car.

Make sure you bring a printout of your reservation.

With that said, definitely stay away from that Juneau Car Rental company, as their cars are old and awful, and you barely save any money.

If you do rent a car, make sure to drive up the Glacier Highway (north), as it is beautiful and there are very few tourists wherever you choose to stop. My family had a whole beach (with tidepools) to ourselves in a beautiful setting.

We visited Juneau, AK in July 2014 and rented a car from Juneau Car Rental Company. I liked working with this company. I paid 71.30 for the rental and got a Ford Taurus with 75,000 miles on it. My husband was suppose to be the driver but they allowed a change of drivers since he wasn't feeling well. They did not charge any extra fee for the change and only wanted to know what car insurance we had. I did call the company as soon as we got off the Coral Princess to let them know we were running late and to confirm how to get there. I would estimate the walk to be about a mile one way and they are tucked out of the way down by the water. I didn't think it was a difficult walk though more through industrial area. We had four adults in the Ford Taurus and were comfortable. It was great to have a car rental in Juneau. We were given a map of the area and the places to visit were highlighted. We chose Mendenhall Glacier, Shrine of Saint Therese, and the fish hatchery. We liked having our own transportation as we could spend as much time as we wanted. We allowed plenty of time to get back to the ship and were always mindful of the time.

We visited Juneau, AK in July 2014 and rented a car from Juneau Car Rental Company. I liked working with this company. I paid 71.30 for the rental and got a Ford Taurus with 75,000 miles on it. My husband was suppose to be the driver but they allowed a change of drivers since he wasn't feeling well. They did not charge any extra fee for the change and only wanted to know what car insurance we had. I did call the company as soon as we got off the Coral Princess to let them know we were running late and to confirm how to get there. I would estimate the walk to be about a mile one way and they are tucked out of the way down by the water. I didn't think it was a difficult walk though more through industrial area. We had four adults in the Ford Taurus and were comfortable. It was great to have a car rental in Juneau. We were given a map of the area and the places to visit were highlighted. We chose Mendenhall Glacier, Shrine of Saint Therese, and the fish hatchery. We liked having our own transportation as we could spend as much time as we wanted. We allowed plenty of time to get back to the ship and were always mindful of the time.

Just curious here.

Why did you go with Juneau Car Rental when AVIS is essentially the same price, and the cars are far newer and much more reliable?

Was AVIS unavailable?

And keep in mind, I had a bad experience with a bait-and-switch situation at AVIS, so I am no supporter of their Juneau branch. But it just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would use Juneau Car Rental, as the savings are small (or nonexistent) and the cars are inferior. The only thing I can figure is that they're the second choice when AVIS is sold out.

I think having an unreliable car is an awful thing in a port of call on a cruise, as it could either cause you to miss the boat or ruin your entire day there. It's a little different taking a chance with a lousy car if you're in a big city for a few days.

Beware of the Juneau AVIS location, as they tried to bait-and-switch me on both price and car.

And keep in mind, I had a bad experience with a bait-and-switch situation at AVIS, so I am no supporter of their Juneau branch.

You’ve been bashing Avis for quite some time now based on your experience. I think some clarification is needed.

To clarify; the “bait and switch” you refer to was being give an upgrade for the same price as the full size car you reserved. You certainly had some inconvenience in the transaction but the result, for most, would have been positive.

We've also used Juneau Car Rental twice in the past and although their cars are older we found them to be in very good shape and they were reliable.

You’ve been bashing Avis for quite some time now based on your experience. I think some clarification is needed.

To clarify; the “bait and switch” you refer to was being give an upgrade for the same price as the full size car you reserved. You certainly had some inconvenience in the transaction but the result, for most, would have been positive.

We've also used Juneau Car Rental twice in the past and although their cars are older we found them to be in very good shape and they were reliable.

No.

Read my story again.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43702402

I called twice (the day before and the day of), making sure they wouldn't give away my full sized car. I was PROMISED that would not happen.

I arrived at AVIS, and the rep tried to claim my reservation was for a compact car, and for $10 more than my reservation stated.

He only backed down once I could prove it on my phone.

That was the bait and switch part.

Then, when I asked him about the full size car I had actually reserved, I was told that it was "given away accidentally to someone with a similar name", which was a complete lie.

The "upgrade" I was offered was a completely different type of car (SUV) which I did not want, but had no choice taking.

Then, to finish it all off, the guy tried to cut out early from his shift, and when I caught him at the desk, refused to check me out until I argued vigorously about it.

That was NOT a positive experience.

The way you put it makes it sound like I got there, my car wasn't available, and I got an upgrade for the same price. That's not at all what happened.

Still, I don't understand why anyone uses Juneau Car Rental. Many here have reported cars with over 165,000 miles. Why take a car like that when a regular rental agency like AVIS will give you a low mileage car in good condition? It's not like Juneau Car Rental is saving you much money.