OPEN LETTER to Royal Carribbean

Ok I got to ask , your taking on a large corporate entity ,but your not looking for compensation , um I would be almost certain that there were apologizes given on the ship for the problems you encountered , so really what's more could you be after ? ....from the street to the suite

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Actually a really appropriate question. Thanks.

I am not looking for personal compensation. If offered I would accept but It is not my objective. Again, based on the surprise response in my other thread, it appears there are a number of people who have been disappointed recently with the " feel" of an RCI cruise. While intangible and certainly subjective, it seems my perception is not isolated to one lone nut.

In my ideal world, RCI would get enough of this type of letter to reverse the cost cutting at a point where it erodes the RCI experience I loved on my first 7 RCI cruises. Presumably, you read my analogy to GM. If they read these two threads, maybe some good can come of it. If not, it cost me two stamps. That's a risk/ reward potential I'll happily accept.

I am not looking for personal compensation. If offered I would accept but It is not my objective. Again, based on the surprise response in my other thread, it appears there are a number of people who have been disappointed recently with the " feel" of an RCI cruise. While intangible and certainly subjective, it seems my perception is not isolated to one lone nut.

In my ideal world, RCI would get enough of this type of letter to reverse the cost cutting at a point where it erodes the RCI experience I loved on my first 7 RCI cruises. Presumably, you read my analogy to GM. If they read these two threads, maybe some good can come of it. If not, it cost me two stamps. That's a risk/ reward potential I'll happily accept.

I think that this answers my post.

I wish you the best in trying to get Royal Caribbean to change..single handedly!

Rick

We all get jaded. Best cruise ever was the first. Second best was the second ( and that was Carnival) the food sucked, they cancelled my scuba excursion because they contracted with a crappy scuba company. As time goes on our perception of the activity suffers. Went to a hotel Sunday at a nearby lake to watch fireworks. Very nice hotel, when it was built 20 years ago, I thought it was amazing. Same hotel now, but my reaction to it is not the same. I still paid $250 a night, the fireworks were good, but not up to my memory of a New Years Eve a decade ago. Speaking of fireworks, when I was 5 what I saw Sunday would have rocked my world. I yawned through a lot of the show....

I think the sheets story is gross. Doesn't mean it is true, but it definitely is gross. My own experience is I have never had that experience. Doesn't mean your experience is not real, but.... I am a person who believes in empirical evidence and not defamatory evidence with out any facts. I know you believe you have facts, and I hope for your sake that you are not Ellsworth, but.... I have seen a lot of them over the years.....:D:rolleyes:

jc

I think that this answers my post.

I wish you the best in trying to get Royal Caribbean to change..single handedly!

Rick

Rick, why is it that so many Don Quixote's come to this forum? Seems to be a never ending stream of people who think that they are the first and they will pull the sword from the stone. "Let it be known that John Galtny is the true born king of all of England"....:rolleyes:

Have a good one friends, I am off to bed.

jc

On a completely different note, Rick, have you heard from Roz from London. I have sent her and her mother several emails over several months and I haven't heard from her. I know you cruise a lot and she cruises a lot, figured you might have crossed her path since you are both proper admirals, and all...

If you hear from her tell her I was asking about her and her mum.

jc

CEO to CEO:rolleyes:

While at the same time airing on a social media site not once but twice.Perfect way to influence another CEO

I do hope the "Carribbean" used in the title was not on/in the letter

Edited by setsail

We all get jaded. Best cruise ever was the first. Second best was the second ( and that was Carnival) the food sucked, they cancelled my scuba excursion because they contracted with a crappy scuba company. As time goes on our perception of the activity suffers. Went to a hotel Sunday at a nearby lake to watch fireworks. Very nice hotel, when it was built 20 years ago, I thought it was amazing. Same hotel now, but my reaction to it is not the same. I still paid $250 a night, the fireworks were good, but not up to my memory of a New Years Eve a decade ago. Speaking of fireworks, when I was 5 what I saw Sunday would have rocked my world. I yawned through a lot of the show....

I think the sheets story is gross. Doesn't mean it is true, but it definitely is gross. My own experience is I have never had that experience. Doesn't mean your experience is not real, but.... I am a person who believes in empirical evidence and not defamatory evidence with out any facts. I know you believe you have facts, and I hope for your sake that you are not Ellsworth, but.... I have seen a lot of them over the years.....:D:rolleyes:

jc

Points all well made and articulated. My account is fully verifiable by RCI if they keep records of incident reports or the like. We are on contemporaneous record with the Director of Housekeeping on the ship. In any event, one way of assessing credibility is to ask " why would he make this up"? If I remove a compensation scam from the equation, and my other reviews show a Royal fanboy, what could be my motive? I leave you to your own judgement as to that assessment.

As for defamatory, truth is an absolute defense and opinion cannot be defamatory. I'm happy with both my positions there.

And now, not " who is John Galt? But rather, Who is Ellsworth? LOL

Edited by JohnGaltny

On a completely different note, Rick, have you heard from Roz from London. I have sent her and her mother several emails over several months and I haven't heard from her. I know you cruise a lot and she cruises a lot, figured you might have crossed her path since you are both proper admirals, and all...

If you hear from her tell her I was asking about her and her mum.

jc

I have not heard from her, as well. But good to hear from you, and all the best to you and your lovely bride.

I hope our paths will cross again!

Rick

CEO to CEO:rolleyes:

While at the same time airing on a social media site not once but twice.Perfect way to influence another CEO

I do hope the "Carribbean" used in the title was not on/in the letter

You are entitled to your choice of methods. I am perfectly satisfied with mine.

In my career I've made good choices and a bunch of stinkers but I have always lived with whatever happened. Anyone running any business ( especially today) has a bunch of optimism, a belief in themself and a little bit of psychosis. Without that you'd drink or shoot yourself to death.

Whatever happens here, I'm good.

Edited by JohnGaltny

LOLOL You're a gas Yorkville. Actually, since many were on his ship, I probably owe him at least that much, not to mention all the glorious reviews of my other RCI cruises (see my sig).

Unfortunately, if I even post a link I get sent to the principal yet again. Besides, that would be hijacking my own thread and totally inconsistent with what I'm trying to do here.

However, if you wish to Google some idiot called Bilsen Galleries, you might just be OK.

LOLOLOLOL

Oh yes. I googled that once before. I remember it verrrrry well.

Now I'm sitting here shaking my head at all these - hmm, how do I say this nicely? Lets go with "people" that are giving you a hard time. It's unreal and classic Cruise Critic. I guess they have never read any of your other threads or hilarious reviews.

I would bail on this thread if I were you. These "people" obviously don't get it. You didn't bash the cruise line, you said you will probably go on Royal again and yet you get bashed for saying that you are a CEO. You should have lied and said you were a travel agent and just want your clients (and young friends!) to have clean sheets.

It makes me wonder how the concerned they are about general health and safety with all the recent "outbreaks" of Noro.

I understand they have to change thousands of beds on a daily basis, but I mean come on take pride in your work.

What if a supervisor did a spot(no pun intended) check on a room. I'm sure that room attendant would get a poor mark.

All in all I'm sure this was an isolated inncident.

Oh yes. I googled that once before. I remember it verrrrry well.

Now I'm sitting here shaking my head at all these - hmm, how do I say this nicely? Lets go with "people" that are giving you a hard time. It's unreal and classic Cruise Critic. I guess they have never read any of your other threads or hilarious reviews.

I would bail on this thread if I were you. These "people" obviously don't get it. You didn't bash the cruise line, you said you will probably go on Royal again and yet you get bashed for saying that you are a CEO. You should have lied and said you were a travel agent and just want your clients (and young friends!) to have clean sheets.

LOL.Yorkville. To be more accurate I'm a retired CEO of my own firm but that doesn't mean I've forgotten anything. At least not yet but as I age, who knows?

I'll update as promised for the people who responded early on in both threads.

Hope you enjoy your Bermuda excursion.

It makes me wonder how the concerned they are about general health and safety with all the recent "outbreaks" of Noro.

I understand they have to change thousands of beds on a daily basis, but I mean come on take pride in your work.

What if a supervisor did a spot(no pun intended) check on a room. I'm sure that room attendant would get a poor mark.

All in all I'm sure this was an isolated inncident.

I'm on your side Turk. I hope it's isolated but the responses to these threads possibly indicate otherwise.

As for Noro, RCI was extremely involved. One of the people I lauded in my letter ( Kenger Browne) would normally be annoying with her washee washee stuff. However, after talking to her I realized her passion to be sure the Noro outbreak never happens again. Also, they were cleaning public areas every day.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Very well written, factual, non confrontational.

FWIW I wrote a "complaint" letter to Mr. Fain about ten years back after a cruise on Vision OTS (we had an owner's suite). Detailed some of the issues we ran into. He wrote back, and offered us some future cruise compensation (we certainly didn't ask, but were happy to take adavntage of that).

Another time, had a litany of problems at a 6 night stay in a high end hotel in South Florida (the place was being returned to service after a big remodel, and should at the very least had a "soft" opening). I wrote the GM, he called me back, and gave us a complimentary two night stay. We took advantage of that, checked in about a year later, and they plopped us in the Presidential suite!

Keep up the good work for those of you who take the time to write letters to the Owners/CEO/ et al. I have always gotten my 2 cents in to those at the top for an airline serious error (United, but never again) and on Princess when we were "upgraded" to under the Jacuzzis which during sea days made it impossible to rest in cabin. After 3 days, we realized where the noise was coming from/got very firm with Customer Rel and they moved us. The point was they KNEW about the noise (some people don't mind) and it should have been communicated to the Travel Agent, a personal one (not online), and/or reduced the charge for the cabin.

I wrote this to Princess when we returned home. Along with a personal letter of apology, they sent a $450 per person "coupon" for our next cruise. I was happy and they kept my business.

How horrible!

DH reminded me that if you don't wash the bloody sheets in cold water, it will set in the stain. Still, they should change the sheets, and make sure the replacements are not stained. If the the same thing happened to us, I'd think hard before giving the cabin steward a top mark.

Bleach will take out pretty much any stain, whether with hot or cold water, and I would be horrified to learn that RCI doesn't use bleach on the bed linens and towels every time they wash them.:eek:

OP, good letter. I skipped a few pages of replies, but hope to see what RCI has to say.

Edited by critterchick

I understand the comments completely and I probably agree with you all but I'm not interested in anything but the truth and whatever benefit people wish to derive from this thread. You are welcomed to be as polite as you wish and I will not denigrate that.

As for why I did another thread, please refer to the OP. It is explained there and is for the benefit of those who wish to watch a transparent Customer relations transaction. Frankly, nothing else is important to me. If I were negotiating for anything (the fabled "compensation") I would certainly do it in private. AS is clear in my letter, that is not the case.

Having said that, I prefer that the original benefit to be conferred on those who value facts more than feelings be the main topic so to those people, welcome. To others who object to me, I accept the Christmas Cards I won't get. Either way, I way, I will update as promised when appropriate.

And this couldn't have happened int he original thread...why?

sorry to nitpick...

unacceptable is probably a better word choice. At least I think that is a real word.:D

OP that is gross. Sorry.

jc

Against CC rules to point out obvious spelling errors. We all know what he meant. Next time think before you hit Submit Reply please.

Strangely enough, on our cruise which we got back from last weekend, my daughter had to ring and complain about stains on her bed sheets and get them changed. This is something that hasn't happened before.

I will be interested to see the response you get.

Points all well made and articulated. My account is fully verifiable by RCI if they keep records of incident reports or the like. We are on contemporaneous record with the Director of Housekeeping on the ship. In any event, one way of assessing credibility is to ask " why would he make this up"? If I remove a compensation scam from the equation, and my other reviews show a Royal fanboy, what could be my motive? I leave you to your own judgement as to that assessment.

As for defamatory, truth is an absolute defense and opinion cannot be defamatory. I'm happy with both my positions there.

And now, not " who is John Galt? But rather, Who is Ellsworth? LOL

John, you made a terrible mistake here....you brought the Royal cheerleaders out...not the obvious daily posters but the behind the scenes ones...the ones that back the daily ones up. You must have hit a nerve.

Just an aside, love your avatar but not sure why you have one of the UKs premier comedians/comic actors as avatar :rolleyes:

Saw there was a mention of Roz and her mum, we too have not seen either of them for a couple of years now, sad to say.

Having worked for a (now defunct) company that went through many cutbacks, I know what this does to morale. The employees don't want to go that extra step. I hope this is not the case when I do my next cruise.

jayblue RCCL cruiser

p.s. I am now a corporate receptionist for a huge corporation. I get quite a few requests to speak with the CEO. The customers are NEVER transferred, but 99% of their conflicts are resolved. Communications like yours should be taken seriously. You are, after all, one of the many reasons these people have jobs.

Let us know when RC responds!

jayblue RCCL cruiser

Against CC rules to point out obvious spelling errors. We all know what he meant. Next time think before you hit Submit Reply please.

I apologized when I posted it and I did not do it to denigrate the poster. I was just doing a public service, and we all know how things post wrong today with people posting from IPhones and other handheld devices.

Do you really think that a poster who has been around as long as I have needed to be reminded of this?:rolleyes:

Of course, shutting up discourse is always favored by many posters here.

jc

PS good morning to all on the thread.:cool:

How horrible!

DH reminded me that if you don't wash the bloody sheets in cold water, it will set in the stain. Still, they should change the sheets, and make sure the replacements are not stained. If the the same thing happened to us, I'd think hard before giving the cabin steward a top mark.

All that said, on Legend, I got the worst case of contact dermatitis in years, and medical didn't have anything better than what I'd brought with me. A month later, I still have traces of it. After our last cruise, our silk sleep sacks are back in our suitcase.

My thought was also that the stains were set in. Obviously, some good Q.C. would mandate such bedding be disposed of. Even if said sheets were super sanitized and every germ obliterated, the customer shouldn't have to look at someone else's body fluids.

While they're at it, they need to pitch some of the pool towels and mattresses as well, which are way past their useful lives.