Restaurant Decorum

bpatters1

Prior to my first cruise people were making the statement that the dining rooms for dinner were “5 Star” restaurants. Well I have NEVER been in a 5 star restaurant where they have cheering for teams, public announcements by the matre’d encouraging yelling and competition and the waiters and waitresses stopping during the service to put on wigs and hats to dance, I would of preferred them to get my coffee……

If people are going to make statement like and I quota “Dinner is 5 star quality, people should dress and act accordingly” I think they need to revaluate their definition of 5 star. If I want entertainment I would go to the comedy show, not dinner.

For people concerned with what to wear……..wear what make you comfortable. It is good food but definitely not as up-scale as people make it out to be. You are on vacation, relax and have fun.

"People" can say anything. Carnival doesn't advertise anywhere that they have 5-Star dining. I'm a retired chef of the only 5-star restaurant in New Orleans. Of course, cruise ships are nowhere NEAR that rating! Perhaps to some cruisers, it's the best food/ambiance they've experienced?....so in their minds, it must be 5-star...!?

I personally don't care for the hoopa in the dining room, either, but since Carnival advertises their ships as "the fun ships", I assume they think they are spilling that into their dining rooms. I much prefer quiet dining, but that's just the way it is.;)

I don't think they have any dancing or cheering in the buffet lines. Maybe that would be a better option for some cruisers. I personally think the dancing waiters and yelling make dinner a much more "fun" experience. My wife always joins in the "conga" lines and I am in charge of video recording. I can't wait to board the Conquest on Oct. 9. I'll be singing and cheering.

I've heard if one wants a stuffy, hoity-toity dining experience, one can pay the extra surcharge to eat at one of the supper clubs or can pay 2-3x as much to cruise on a more extravagant line.

One doesn't have to eat in the dining room if the entertainment offends or interrupts what is obviously (in the OP's opinion) a mediocre meal... Just my two cents.

Let's not be snobby because to some people, they are 5 star restaurants.

I have to agree, when I go out to fine dining, I don't want all the hoopla and noise. All I want is a decent cup of coffee after my meal! I have to say the coffee on the Glory last week was terrible. I had to go to Creams if I wanted good coffee.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that "Fun Ship" attitude! Bring on the dancing and singing while I eat, PLEASE!

banana.gifcheer.gif

Hey Cotton, where in N.O. did you Chef? Native here! But unsure of the 5-star restaurant you mentioned. I'm just a lil' country girl -- don't know much 'bout that fancy-schmancy stuff :o :p

I agree with Cotton, the food is not 5 star and the dining room isn't either. But Carnival doesn't claim 5 star status. People that say its 5 star have no more validity than those that say the food's horrible. Just opinions either way. Same as my opinion.

I don't much care for ALL the hoopla these days but its OK.

The Maitre'D's announcments however drive me batsxxt. Always terrible English, always repetitive, never important, often commercial and BOORING.

Still all that is no reason to ignore the dress code, The food and service are good to very good, The decor is at least reasonably elegant[ish] and most of the evening is pretty classy. Yes they blow it at the end for the OP but that shouldn't allow guys to wear Speedo's for dinner. :D

Like most of todays world, things grow until they're ugly. At one time the only hoopla was the Baked Alaska flaming parade one night and the blazing Cherries Jubillie parade another night. Now they've gone away [FIRE HAZARDS] to be replaced by some way, way , way off Broadway productions[?].

Have to admit, sometimes I bail as soon as I finish dessert.

Dan

people were making the statement that the dining rooms for dinner were “5 Star” restaurants.

Please reveal who these people are that said this. I've never heard anyone advertise 5 star dining on the ships.

And what does this have to do with adhering to a dress code?

Where's your correlation?:confused:

Cotton, in our experience Commander's Palace isn't quite 5-star, but please take no offense. Actually, I am also docking them an extra half-star for not being open on Christmas, the day before our cruise! :) We will scape by at the New Orleans Grill. ;)

No offense taken, Yank.:) But Commander's IS the only restaurant in N.O. with a 5-star rating. I've been retired for just over 10 years. I worked with some fantastic chefs (Emeril, Jamie Shannon, others) while I was in the Brennan's employ. Haven't had dinner there in a coupla years, so I have no idea how things are now....but they STILL have the 5-star rating.

Have to admit, sometimes I bail as soon as I finish dessert.

Dan

That is our standard operating procedure...:D Occasionally we will skip dessert if we see the formation beginning (if we have not yet ordered) - besides we are usually STUFFED anyway!!!

Tom

I've heard if one wants a stuffy, hoity-toity dining experience, one can pay the extra surcharge to eat at one of the supper clubs or can pay 2-3x as much to cruise on a more extravagant line.

One doesn't have to eat in the dining room if the entertainment offends or interrupts what is obviously (in the OP's opinion) a mediocre meal... Just my two cents.

We ate in the supper club 5 nights on our last Miracle cruise - the other 2 nights (first and last) were buffet meals. That way, when we sat down to DINE, we could do it in PEACE, in a "refined" manner (not referring to the buffet here...lol). I do feel the dining room food is a solid notch above MEDIOCRE, and we will enjoy it for our Thanksgiving cruise on at least 4 or 5 nights (and I WON'T be ordering TURKEY!!!)

We do not consider ourselves "hoity-toity" - though we have a few friends that we feel are ;) - I suppose that is all relative... Our favorite places to eat around town are typically BBQ and WING places (and there is NO dancing there either :D )

I wonder what STAR RATING would generally be awarded to the Supper Clubs? (take the language barrier out of the equation - they do TRY! lol)

Tom

Just a guess here....some people may refer to the dining room as "five star" when they actually are referring to a nicer than average dining experience. (Real napkins, tablecoth, more than one fork and spoon, a waiter in a tux, etc) Here in KC we eat lots of BBQ so we are more used to several napkins! (rather than several forks! LOL ) What matters the most to me is whether I enjoy myself. Our group found our food really good. Glad I don't have to officially assign stars to the meal..I would probably get flamed!!

As far as the singing and dancing....I wasn't sure what the deal was the first night. However, by the 5th night we finally got with the program (or by then we had too many drink of the day specials) and joined in on the festivities!:D

I'm getting nervous now hearing about these post-dinner productions in the dining rooms. Do they do this on Triumph? If so, is the set-up such that you'll feel REALLY CONSPICUOUS if you choose to walk out once it begins? Do you have to either make a quick getaway before it starts or risk being held captive to some third rate off-off-off-Broadway travesty?

I'm getting nervous now hearing about these post-dinner productions in the dining rooms. Do they do this on Triumph? If so, is the set-up such that you'll feel REALLY CONSPICUOUS if you choose to walk out once it begins? Do you have to either make a quick getaway before it starts or risk being held captive to some third rate off-off-off-Broadway travesty?

I have never been on the Triumph... but I would assume they have it :D

I suggest you stay for the full dinner experience the first couple of nights, and judge for yourself ;) (you can then formulate any escape plans if desired for future nights)

Some people (as evidenced here) REALLY do enjoy it.... some DON'T - that's life!!!

Tom

Just a guess here....some people may refer to the dining room as "five star" when they actually are referring to a nicer than average dining experience. (Real napkins, tablecoth, more than one fork and spoon, a waiter in a tux, etc) Here in KC we eat lots of BBQ so we are more used to several napkins! (rather than several forks! LOL )

Yep, the more napkins you need, the better the BBQ! :D I personally prefer Jack's Stack, KC Masterpiece and a couple in the outer suburbs.

Now, as to the correlation between singing/dancing and what one should wear to dinner, I don't get it. What's so hard about following the dress suggestions and showing a little respect for those around you?

They're not lengthy - usually a song or two at most - and in the case of our Conquest cruise didn't happen every night. If you choose to opt out, you won't be conspicuous at all. Remember that the dining room is large; your waiters and tablemates may see you leaving, but no one else will really notice. There will be a lot of other folks coming and going as well. (One night, our oldest son fell asleep and ended up joining us for dessert, just in time for the singing!)

As for food, I found the meals to be very good - not mediocre by our standards, and we never missed a meal in the dining room - but it is banquet dining. They are feeding a large number of folks at one time, so I don't expect "five-star" cuisine as you'd expect at a restaurant with limited seating that is reserved days in advance. As for dress - the boys and DH generally wore chinos and either a polo shirt or crew neck shirt, and I wore slacks and a polo shirt or blouse. (We really did dress up for formal nights, though, and were glad we did.)

We just returned from the Spirit--and I have to say that the singing and dancing was the only fun thing in the dining room. We thought the shows outside the dining room were awful--so at least we had a little fun before we went there! I do think the dress code should have been followed a little closer--we saw shorts, etc. We thought the food was pretty bad--so we only ate in the dining room 3 nights. Sometimes you have to make your own fun----it doesn't always come to you.

lrm

Archived