Adventure in distress

Well a hundred years is a long time without beer!

Yes we did, and it was wayyy longer than a hundred years too

..........hmmmm..........skipped that history class I guess........:cool:

If you read your history books, you'll see that it was between the English and the French, started in 1328 by Edward III. Edward was King of England, not Great Britain, there was no Britain in 1328. The flag that he flew was a white banner with a red cross on it, even more difficult to tell if it was upside down, in fact impossible.:D

I can understand Americans being confused by the difference between British and English, but somebody from Milton Keynes!!:eek:

....of course the flag was flown upside down......they were out of beer! In the 100 year war the British refused to fight when they were told they were out of beer.........God save the Queen.......

They were out of Marmite!!!:D:D

Rick

It was a JOKE people....geeze......there are a few "Cliff Clavins" on these boards........did it take a lot of time picking those spitballs out of your hair after school?..................:rolleyes::D

No but the world would be a more boring place without the Cliffs of this world.

Plus a s I get older I am turning into my father.:p

How long do you recon it lasted ?
not sure what you mean by recon. Reckon, maybe? If you are really interested and not just being your usual self, trolling. Google will probably give you all the information you need.

It was a JOKE people....geeze......there are a few "Cliff Clavins" on these boards........did it take a lot of time picking those spitballs out of your hair after school?..................:rolleyes::D

But there are a lot more Woody Boyd's around.:rolleyes::D

Just me being pedantic again, the flag is called the Union Flag; it is only called the Union Jack when it is flown from the jack staff on a war ship.

It is considered to be offensive to the crown if a ship in harbour flies the Union Flag upside down. it is also offensive to fly it if it is dirty or damaged, it should also only be flown from dawn to dusk unless it is illuminated.

I think we need to bring back keel hauling, lashing to the mast and the cat. but we can only dream. :D

Arrrgh, flog 'em 'round the fleet:)

I wonder how many of today's Brits would be able to spot the flag flown upside down?

Arrrgh, flog 'em 'round the fleet:)

I wonder how many of today's Brits would be able to spot the flag flown upside down?

The captain is from Norway so got a good excuse, at least he knew the way to Norway.:D

Just back from the Norway cruise, I know it may seem a bit pedantic but what stuck out like a sore thumb was the British union flag hoisted high upside down. Not only is it an insult to the country you are visiting but it is also a recognized maritime signal for a ship in distress. I pointed this mistake out to one of the officers though I did have to explain the difference as he did not know there was a right and a wrong way. He then rang the bridge and it was taken down never to return.

Apart from being hoisted upside down, they had hoisted the wrong flag! As a non British registered vessel the ship should have flown a so called 'courtesy flag' while in British waters (in this case) and the appropriate flag then is a Red Ensign not the Union Flag. The latter is only ever hoisted at sea in a warship and then at the bow. The red ensign is the marine flag of UK; unusually UK is one of only a few countries whose marine national flag/ensign is not the same as the national flag. This should be well known to any deck officer who has been trained to an acceptable standard. In a Norwegian waters a Norwegian courted flag should be hoisted, for example.

Look at the bright side Joe, we just got a free history edumacation. :D

Edited by Big_G