Majesty, Aegean Classics & Turkish visas.

Has anyone actually been on the Thomson Majesty Aegean Classic itinerary (calling at Bodrum & Kusadasi) since the Turkish visa rules changed? Did you need a visa? I've read you don't need them if you are just staying in port for the day, but does that affect the shore excursions you can do? I don't want to pay for nothing, but equally don't want to miss out on anything for the sake of £20. Thanks.

Same reply as Gill really.

We were in Kusadasi last week for a day whilst on the Maj, you do not need a visa, save your money:)

You only need a visa if you start your Cruise from a Turkish port, I believe people going on the Celebration have been getting emails and letters from Thomson saying they need to arrange them before they travel.

• 3 weeks later...

We're going on the Majesty on July 18th and read the small print Thomson sent stating Visas needed for Turkey, I checked out the Turkey e-visa site and it states in the FAQ's:

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

Do I need an e-Visa if I am on a cruise ship?

'According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours.'

We're going on the Majesty on July 18th and read the small print Thomson sent stating Visas needed for Turkey, I checked out the Turkey e-visa site and it states in the FAQ's:

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

Do I need an e-Visa if I am on a cruise ship?

'According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours.'

Joe Holiday answered this question....comment 5 above ;)

We are on Celebration departing Marmaris on the 4th August. We have heard nothing from Thomson but contacted our TA and it was she who told us to get the visas. Very easy to apply on line and cost is $20 each. Apparently this is cheaper than buying the visa on arrival. We have the additional honour of paying £10 each just to leave from Norwich!

Sent from my iPad using Forums