Dining on the Arcadia

The Gidmeister

Hi people - I`m the new kid on the block, and would love to pick your communal brains.........

My sister, a veteran frequent-cruiser, was on the Arcadia three years ago, and reported that the food was atrocious. Even though many passengers were griping about it, P&O was adamant that all was good and everybody was happy. Has anyone got any more recent feedback (as it were!)?

Hi people - I`m the new kid on the block, and would love to pick your communal brains.........

My sister, a veteran frequent-cruiser, was on the Arcadia three years ago, and reported that the food was atrocious. Even though many passengers were griping about it, P&O was adamant that all was good and everybody was happy. Has anyone got any more recent feedback (as it were!)?

Well we cruised april/may this year and we thought it was the best food we had on a cruise in a very long time. Others thought the same as well.

Now the footdis all plated, its hot and everything goes with everything else on the plate. If you want more food you only have to ask..I was hard pushed to eat a starter, soup and the main...only rarely had a desert.

The food on Arcadia was excellent earlier this year. Much improved from the so called silver service where everything was tepid by the uptime all the rest of the table had been served with mushy or puréed veg.

Sue

I was on board Arcadia three years ago to the day (and a few days either side) and I thought the food was good. That doesn't mean your sister is wrong or that I'm wrong - just that we have different tastes.

The worst P&O food I ever had was on the previous Adonia, where the chef had a garlic fetish. Half the dishes advertised garlic, the other half didn't advertise it but contained it anyway. Even the tomato soup was strongly garlic flavoured. Some people liked it.

We've cruised on Arcadia (in 2010 and 2012) and had no issues with the food. We were on Ventura (for the fourth time) last year and thought that in general it was not as good. There was nothing actively unpleasant, but it all seemd bland and lacking in taste - we felt that the gap between the MDR food and The White Room was greater last year than in previous years. (The 'local speciality' on port nights was better, however.)

Looking back, I would say that the food on Arcadia was typical of P&O food generally. We're pleased to read the reports that the MDR food this year is generally better than last year, across the fleet.

So much depends on the chef, we were on Aurora and the food was excellent then 7 weeks later we were back on her, the chef had changed and the food was poor even though alot of the dishes had the same names and descriptions on the 2 cruises they were different so it obviously chef interpretation thta makes the difference.

Also, everyone has different tastes so what one person calls atrocious someone else could well rave about how brilliant it is.

We were on Arcadia 3 years ago to US/Canada - food was excellent.

We were on the same 72 day Cruise and agree with you completely. Having said that there were couple on our table who complained almost daily about the food. Frankly we became embarrassed as the waiters, etc., kept asking us if we had a problem with the food and we kept saying we were pleased with it. That of course led to a silent table afterwards.

Edited by BalkanCruiser

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. It has been very helpful, and I`m thinking now that the chef`s particular foibles is the main criterion. In defencew of my sister, shes really not someone to complain, other than in dire circumstances!