What Capitals Need Tours, Other Than St Pete and Berlin

Wife and I are booked for a once in a life time, NCL Baltic capital cities cruise in July. We plan to book tours for St Pete and to Berlin. We're thinking the other cities (Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm and Tallinn) we can walk or take hop on buses. Or do you recommend a tour for any of those cities? We're mobile and fairly healthy. Thanks!

Wife and I are booked for a once in a life time, NCL Baltic capital cities cruise in July. We plan to book tours for St Pete and to Berlin. We're thinking the other cities (Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm and Tallinn) we can walk or take hop on buses. Or do you recommend a tour for any of those cities? We're mobile and fairly healthy. Thanks!

We are DIYers and had a great time at the Baltic ports by walking and/or public transit......train in Copenhagen, streetcar in Helsinki, boat in Stockholm, and all walking in Tallinn. We bought a Rick Steves' book and used it as our "bible" for these ports and supplemented with info from these boards.

Have a great trip!

none of the cities need a tour except for StP, Berlin it's good to do only because time is short and the city is somewhat spread out.

we did everything ourselves via public transportation or walking. lots of people did the cruise tours and lots did HoHos. I only heard good things from everyone so I think you should choose the option that seems best suited to you and I am sure you will be satisfied.

none of the cities need a tour except for StP, Berlin it's good to do only because time is short and the city is somewhat spread out.

we did everything ourselves via public transportation or walking. lots of people did the cruise tours and lots did HoHos. I only heard good things from everyone so I think you should choose the option that seems best suited to you and I am sure you will be satisfied.

Agree with this recommendation. But I feel more strongly that a tour to Berlin, if that is what you want to do, is the way to go. It will cut down on travel time getting there and getting around.

Have fun. The Baltic remains my favorite cruise, by a considerable margin.

First of all welcome to our boards and congrats on booking a Baltic Cruise. It truly I s a once in a lifetime event. To answer your questions, I also agree that you could do Berlin on your own, but it is much easier to book a tour thru a private company. Most of the companies that do St Petersburg, also do Berlin, and you could save a few dollars b7y booking both with the same company.

For ALL the other ports, they are very easy to do on your own. In some, like Tallinn, and Copenhagen, you don't need any public transportation. In Stockholm and Helsinki to get to see most of the main sites, it will be a lot easier to use some sort of public transportation. We have very knowledgeable people on this site who live in these countries and cities who do so much to help make our trips that much more pleasurable.

If you are healthy and love to explore on your own, places like Tallinn, and the Gamla Stan section of Stockholm are a dream come true. Explore the many winding, narrow cobblestone streets and hopefully find some hidden treasure to take home.

Here are some of my pixs from our trip. I haven't seen our resident pix put er upper, so here are a few of ours.

In Copenhagen, the Nyhavn section is a wonderful area to relax and do the Canal Boat tour, which is must do.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe248_zps07b56845.jpg

Tallinn is a wonderful city to just roam around in. there is a great walking tour on this site.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe570.jpg

In Helsinki, the main part of town is Market square, from there a short walk brings you to Senate Square and the Helsinki Lutheran Church

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

In Stockholm, we just loved Gamla Stan. With many narrow, cobblestone streets, you can sit and enjoy or wander about.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

And, of course, St Petersburg, the jewel of the trip

The Church of the Spilled blood is truly a highlight

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe764.jpg

Visiting Peterhoff, here is a view from the Palace looking out towards the Sea of Finland

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

You've already recognised the two that need a tour.

Berlin is 2 - 3 hours from the port, a lot of European cruisers will stay around the Warnemunde area because Berlin is worth a separate vacation - but I can understand the desire to take this opportunity from the other side of the world.

For Stockholm your ship may berth in the city, but some larger ships have to port about an hour away. In the city, hop-on boats are the way to travel. Make sure to go to the Vasa ship museum, and to the old part of the city (Gamla Stan) and adjacent to that the Royal Palace - there are hop-on boat stops at all three.

Don't take the ho-ho in Tallinn. The attraction is the old partly-walled part of the town and buses aren't allowed in there. Bus or shuttle or walk from ship to old-town - the nearest part, a squat tower with the unflattering name of Fat Margaret, is about a 15 - 20 minute walk.

Helsinki - if you want a ho-ho tour consider instead the circular tram route from the market square.

Copenhagen depends where you port. If along Langelinie its a pleasant waterfront walk past the little mermaid, a little castle, and Amalienborg Palace to Nyhavn (time for a beer) and the centre. There's a new cruise terminal, I don't know it, but apparently needs transport into the city.

Super itinerary

Have a good one

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I was just going to post similar questions so hope you don't mind if I join in here.

We are doing a Baltic cruise next month (last minute booking). I'm normally so organised so panicking a bit.

I have booked SPB 3 day tour.

We have ben to Berlin so don't want to do the long trip there this time.

Our ports are.

Copenhagen June 25-28 Pre cruise.

Travemunde (Lubeck) Germany June 29 8.30 am – 10.00 pm

Go to Lubeck, back to ship then look around Travemunde?

Wismar, Germany Monday June 30. 7.00am – 11.59pm

train? to Rostock then Wismar in afternoon/night

Ronne, Bornholm Island, Denmark. Tuesday July 1. Noon – 6pm

Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland Wednesday July 2. 8.00am – 10.00pm

Tallinn, Estonia Friday July 4. 8.00am – 6.pm Walk? I downloaded a walking tour.

St Petersburg, Russia Saturday July 5th 10.00am – Monday July 7th 8.00pm

Tour organised

Helsinki, Finland Tuesday 8th July 9.30am – 5.00pm.

Stockholm, Sweden Wed 9th July -11.00am Thur 10th July Disembark.

Any information on any of these ports welcome. I'm maddly cutting and pasting off sites.

If anyone has any trip notes on how to get from the port or how you got around etc they'd be willing to share I'd be very grateful.

My Email is baliaddict at hotmail dot com

Thank you.

Edited by sayaguru

I was just going to post similar questions so hope you don't mind if I join in here.

We are doing a Baltic cruise next month (last minute booking). I'm normally so organised so panicking a bit.

I have booked SPB 3 day tour.

We have ben to Berlin so don't want to do the long trip there this time.

Our ports are.

Copenhagen June 25-28 Pre cruise.

Travemunde (Lubeck) Germany June 29 8.30 am – 10.00 pm

Go to Lubeck, back to ship then look around Travemunde?

Wismar, Germany Monday June 30. 7.00am – 11.59pm

train? to Rostock then Wismar in afternoon/night

Ronne, Bornholm Island, Denmark. Tuesday July 1. Noon – 6pm

Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland Wednesday July 2. 8.00am – 10.00pm

Tallinn, Estonia Friday July 4. 8.00am – 6.pm Walk? I downloaded a walking tour.

St Petersburg, Russia Saturday July 5th 10.00am – Monday July 7th 8.00pm

Tour organised

Helsinki, Finland Tuesday 8th July 9.30am – 5.00pm.

Stockholm, Sweden Wed 9th July -11.00am Thur 10th July Disembark.

Any information on any of these ports welcome. I'm maddly cutting and pasting off sites.

If anyone has any trip notes on how to get from the port or how you got around etc they'd be willing to share I'd be very grateful.

My Email is baliaddict at hotmail dot com

Thank you.

Hi,

What an unusual (and great) Baltic Itinerary and such long port stays! I live in NE Germany so will comment on just Travemünde and Wismar.

Travemünde

Your ship will dock at the Okai which is right in the town, a short walk from the bus station. The town is well connected to the City of Lübeck by both bus and train, a ride of about 25 mins. There is info on how to get into Lübeck city centre from the train/bus station on my web site.

Travemünde itself is a typical German seaside town, well worth spending the evening there.

Another alternative would be to visit Hamburg, just over 1 hour by train

Wismar.

The cruise ships berth in the old harbour, a fifteen to twenty minute walk through the old town to the railway station.

With the time at your disposal it would be possible to visit three towns ie. Wismar-Rostock-Schwerin-Wismar or to stop off in Bad Doberan on the way to or from Rostock.

Trains depart for Rostock every hour at 42 mins past the hour and for Schwerin every hour at 34 mins past the hour.

Wismar itself is very interesting and a great place to stroll on a summer evening but if you wish to visit inside the churches etc. be aware that most close at 6pm.

More info on all these towns on the web site.

If you would like more details (eg bus timetables etc.) please do not hesitate to ask.

Happy cruising (from a fellow Aussie - a Banana Bender living in Germany) :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Wow, thank you for all your suggestions. We feel better about our plans. Giantfan13 - your photos are clear and well taken, the weather looked like it was perfect. You must have had a great cruise!:):)

Coppers and Stockholm are fantastic - bus, boat or bike they are definitely worth a nice long visit. We did this free walking tour when in Stockholm and it was great - http://www.freetourstockholm.com/

Enjoy!

Edited by O'Mally

Passing along a tip we learned from CC about Tallinn. The old church and the good views over the old town are, of course, at the top of a steep hill. Then there are cobbled streets full of shops down to the old square. The tip was to get a taxi from the ship to the top of the hill. Great idea! Less than $10 for 2.

We walked around the top, enjoyed the views down over the old town, visited the church, etc. Then followed the crowds down the hill and found an outside restaurant on the square and sat for a beer, potty stop, and watched the world go by. Local servers in costume, a band playing on the square, etc. Cheesy and touristy, but fun. Shopped some more and walked back to the ship. Easy, relaxing day, and cheap. Made up for the other hectic, faster paced stops.

Also, we found Rostock a nice town. It has a good walking street with shops and restaurants. And, who would have thought, some great buys in good leather purses and backpacks. Bought some gifts for my daughters-in-law.

Wow, thank you for all your suggestions. We feel better about our plans. Giantfan13 - your photos are clear and well taken, the weather looked like it was perfect. You must have had a great cruise!:):)

Thanks so much for the nice words on the pixs. Happens we had magnificent weather the entire 12 days of our cruise. (which always makes for better photo ops :D:D).

Cheers

Len

Passing along a tip we learned from CC about Tallinn. The old church and the good views over the old town are, of course, at the top of a steep hill. Then there are cobbled streets full of shops down to the old square. The tip was to get a taxi from the ship to the top of the hill. Great idea! Less than $10 for 2.

We walked around the top, enjoyed the views down over the old town, visited the church, etc. Then followed the crowds down the hill and found an outside restaurant on the square and sat for a beer, potty stop, and watched the world go by. Local servers in costume, a band playing on the square, etc. Cheesy and touristy, but fun. Shopped some more and walked back to the ship. Easy, relaxing day, and cheap. Made up for the other hectic, faster paced stops.

Also, we found Rostock a nice town. It has a good walking street with shops and restaurants. And, who would have thought, some great buys in good leather purses and backpacks. Bought some gifts for my daughters-in-law.

Tallinn is just a wonderful place to tour. Print out the walking tour, or use Rick Steves book, but it is very easy to do and so many places to wander about on your own.

It isn't a bad walk to the top of the hill. Yes it has a slight incline, but anyone who is mobile, it is an easy walk. And YES, the view from the top, out towards the harbor is magnificent.

Here is a pix of the street and road that goes up to the top of the hill. It is a cobblestone street, but not a hard walk

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster537.jpg

From the top of the hill, looking out over Tallinn

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe543.jpg

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, a wonderful site along the walking tour

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe566.jpg

Fat Margret Tower, the entrance to the old city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster511.jpg

Narrow, winding cobblestone streets, just made for exploring

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe518.jpg

And don't miss the Sweater wall, a long line of vendors selling sweaters and many other hand made items from this part of the world

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe622.jpg

Cheers

Len

Thank you so much everyone.

Travelanni, thanks. I will do some more research. I LOVE the itinerary. I actually changed from a HAL one to this because of the extra ports and finishing at a different port. It's also a smaller ship which will be nice. The free alcohol helped in my decision too. LOL:D Cocktail anyone??

Edited by sayaguru