Bermuda on a budget?

rt1092

Hi All. We are thinking of doing a Bermuda cruise on the Grandeur in July.

We have never been there. Can we enjoy the Island (we will be docked for over 2 days)? Without spending a ton of money?

Thanks

No reason why you can't enjoy Bermuda on limited funds.

We are going this fall for our 30th anniversary. Our second time in Bermuda.

The best way to get around the islands is by public transportation. And they are air conditioned. Business passes are also good for the ferries.

From the dockyards, take #7 bus to Horseshoe Bay beach, the most popular on the island. Take the ferry to Hamilton and St. George and enjoy those two cities.

Of cours. There is lots to do around the dockyards area with the maritime museum, the glassworks, Clock tower mall, and various pubs. We liked the Frog and Onion.

Do some research and reading, especially on this board, and you will see that you do not have to spend a lot of money to enjoy Bermuda.

Hi,

Of course,

On a limited budget and for a first visit I would do the following :

The Grandeur docks at 3pm so I would probably hit the beach ( Horseshoe Bay ) right after the ship is cleared ( around 3:30 ) by public bus (buy a pass to save).

I would stay there a few hours and head back to ship for dinner.

On the next day I would take the ferry to St-George early in the morning and spend a couple of hours there. Then one of two things; grab a snack and hit Tobacco Bay beach and take ferry to Dockyard mid afternoon, freshen-up quickly on the ship and take a 3 hour tour with a private taxi ( you do have to see the essentials on your first trip ) ending in Hamilton and taking the ferry back to ship to enjoy a late dinner on ship. OR from St-George take ferry back to Dockyard early afternoon, grab a quick lunch on ship and then the private tour ending in Hamilton, then ferry back and enjoy dinner on ship.

Last day you could take early ferry to Hamilton if you feel you want to spend some more time there and then come back early, grab lunch on ship and visit the Dockyard during the afternoon. Or stay at the Dockyard, there is plenty to do...beach, snorkel, mini golf, Maritime Museum, the Clocktower shopping mall, rum cake factory, etc...

Not a lot of expenses in that scenario...

Have fun,

Bermuda is GREAT !!!

Yes, you can do Bermuda on a budget.

Transportation: we purchased a book of 15 tickets for $30 in Hamilton (needed to buy 2 tokens, $4 each, at Dockyards to take ferry to Hamilton.) If this is your first trip to Bermuda, it maybe worth the extra few dollars for you to get the 2 day pass - that way no lost time riding the ferry to Hamilton and no need to stress over how many busses, ferries you want to take. On our last day, the bus drivers to and from the South Shore beaches gave us a mini-tour and told us about life on the island and pointed out some interesting sites - not as complete as a purchased taxi tour, but still very insightful.

We went to the beach Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: took a beach tent so that I did not have to rent an umbrella (I burn fairly easily, so needed some shade) or chairs. While at the beach we took bottled water which we had brought onboard at embarkation - in the past we have just filled up our water bottles with ship's water, but found that it makes my feet swell. To hold us over until we get back to the ship, we munch on protein bars.

A stop at the Swizzle Inn is always on our agenda - this year we shared a yummy chili nachos and skipped the rum swizzle making the bill about $20.

If you are staying at the dockyards, you can walk to the Sea Glass Beach - it is rather magical to hear the glass pieces tinkle as the water washes over them.

My suggestion, however, is not to be too cost conscious as you have already spent a few dollars on the cruise.

Have a great time!!!!

Our first trip to bermuda was on an extreme budget.

The good news is that there are many attractions that are low cost or free.

I'm going to recommend getting the 3 day bus/ferry pass so you can enjoy the beach the first day :)

The Botanical Gardens are free, and there is also an art museum there that has a $5 admission.

The Bermuda National Gallery is free to visit. I'm so sad that they're closed during our upcoming trip for an exhibit change.

Fort St. Catherine is a $7 admission and quite awesome. St. Peters Church is also free to visit.

I really need to update my attractions list. My point is that if you spend a few hours researching, you'll find plenty of things that cost under $10 per person and you won't have time to see and do it all!

Our first trip to bermuda was on an extreme budget.

The good news is that there are many attractions that are low cost or free.

I'm going to recommend getting the 3 day bus/ferry pass so you can enjoy the beach the first day :)

The Botanical Gardens are free, and there is also an art museum there that has a $5 admission.

The Bermuda National Gallery is free to visit. I'm so sad that they're closed during our upcoming trip for an exhibit change.

Fort St. Catherine is a $7 admission and quite awesome. St. Peters Church is also free to visit.

I really need to update my attractions list. My point is that if you spend a few hours researching, you'll find plenty of things that cost under $10 per person and you won't have time to see and do it all!

This is so true. You have hotel and food already provided so you can do as much or as little as you wish.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, you can do Bermuda on a budget.

Transportation: we purchased a book of 15 tickets for $30 in Hamilton (needed to buy 2 tokens, $4 each, at Dockyards to take ferry to Hamilton.) If this is your first trip to Bermuda, it maybe worth the extra few dollars for you to get the 2 day pass - that way no lost time riding the ferry to Hamilton and no need to stress over how many busses, ferries you want to take. On our last day, the bus drivers to and from the South Shore beaches gave us a mini-tour and told us about life on the island and pointed out some interesting sites - not as complete as a purchased taxi tour, but still very insightful.

We went to the beach Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: took a beach tent so that I did not have to rent an umbrella (I burn fairly easily, so needed some shade) or chairs. While at the beach we took bottled water which we had brought onboard at embarkation - in the past we have just filled up our water bottles with ship's water, but found that it makes my feet swell. To hold us over until we get back to the ship, we munch on protein bars.

A stop at the Swizzle Inn is always on our agenda - this year we shared a yummy chili nachos and skipped the rum swizzle making the bill about $20.

If you are staying at the dockyards, you can walk to the Sea Glass Beach - it is rather magical to hear the glass pieces tinkle as the water washes over them.

My suggestion, however, is not to be too cost conscious as you have already spent a few dollars on the cruise.

Have a great time!!!!

I'm very interested in walking to Sea Glass beach on our first day since we wont arrive until 3:00. Is it easily marked? How/where did you get the directions there? Don't want to get lost!

My DD and I also rode the bus to Somerset Bridge Village and then we walked the Railroad Trail for a little way and ended up at Fort Scaur. There were great views all the way and it was totally free. We just needed our transportation pass. By the way, you can only use cash to buy the transportation passes. They do not take credit or debit cards. The Sea Glass Beach that is walkable from the Dockyard is now closed to the public. Some company bought the area to develop and has put signs up that you can not remove sea glass from the beach.

I stand corrected. I did a search of "Directions to Sea Glass Beach" on this thread and came up with some really good directions. I am not swift enough with the website to make it an attachment but if you do the search you will find the directions. There is a picture of the sign that was put up by WEBCO this last year. It does say the beach is open to the public for your enjoyment but it is illegal to take anything off the beach. So you can still walk down onto the beach but you just can't take any sea glass.

I'm very interested in walking to Sea Glass beach on our first day since we wont arrive until 3:00. Is it easily marked? How/where did you get the directions there? Don't want to get lost!

My apologies to the person who originally posted these directions as I would love to give you credit for them:

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base. When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road. Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here. Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench. The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Talk about loving Bermuda, my DH and I will be doing a B2B this September and when I step foot on Bermuda Shoreline, it will be my 7th year in a row that I have been there either for a one day stop or a three day stop. Can't ever get enough of Bermuda.

Talk about loving Bermuda, my DH and I will be doing a B2B this September and when I step foot on Bermuda Shoreline, it will be my 7th year in a row that I have been there either for a one day stop or a three day stop. Can't ever get enough of Bermuda.

What is on your must see or do list? First time to Bermuda in October on the explorer, will go to Horseshoe beach for sure...

I stand corrected. I did a search of "Directions to Sea Glass Beach" on this thread and came up with some really good directions. I am not swift enough with the website to make it an attachment but if you do the search you will find the directions. There is a picture of the sign that was put up by WEBCO this last year. It does say the beach is open to the public for your enjoyment but it is illegal to take anything off the beach. So you can still walk down onto the beach but you just can't take any sea glass.

Hmmmm - I tried to find Sea Glass beach when I was there two weeks ago. I asked the workers at the table as I exited the ship. They had no idea where Sea Glass beach was, had never heard of it. They then thought it was a "20 minute walk" on the main road, over the bridge and to the right? I didn't try to find it since they weren't sure and I didn't know where I was going. The only beach I found near Dockyard was the Snorkel Park beach which had an entrance fee (not much, $5 I think) and didn't get very high reviews from others. So, we didn't do a beach in Dockyard.

Could someone tell me where Sea Glass beach is in relation to Snorkel Park? We even tried to get to the beach/water from the museum area and did not find a way there either. We will definitely return to Bermuda and I would love to visit Sea Glass.

Thanks

The easiest way to get to the Sea Glass Beach is to take bus #7 at the Dockyard. It is the first stop after the bus leaves the Dockyard. Ask the bus driver to let you off at the Military Cemetery. There are several spots on this thread that give directions and pictures of the route.

As far as my must does in Bermuda, I would say a trip to St. George by ferry and get there in time for the drunking of the town gossip. It is a cute skit. Then to walk around St. George to see the Unfinished Church, Tobacco Bay, St. Catherine's Beach, and St. Peter's Church. Climbing Gibb's Lighthouse is a wonderful view of the entire Island. We also did the Marine Museum at the Dockyard, very interesting. Did the caves once, really interesting to think of being below grown level on such a small island. We rented boats once, and poked around the island from the water. It is not so much the things we do but just the beauty of the island and the wonderful people who live there that makes me keep wanting to come back.