Denali excursions

ArthurAmish

I am trying to choose between two Denali excursions for my 15 year old daughter and myself. Originally, we had chosen the Black Diamond Side by Side ATV Adventure. However, I have read several posts about the Husky Homestead tour. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these excursions? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am trying to choose between two Denali excursions for my 15 year old daughter and myself. Originally, we had chosen the Black Diamond Side by Side ATV Adventure. However, I have read several posts about the Husky Homestead tour. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these excursions? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Husky Homestead was the highlight of my trip! Loved the visit. How can it be bad when the first thing they do is give you a puppy to hold. It gave me a much greater understanding and appreciation of the Iditarod. Do you have specific questions we can answer?

• 2 weeks later...

We did the wilderness tundra tour. Full day trip on bus. Highlite of the trip. Saw spectacular scenery and close ups of bears and moose.bus driver Jason was very knowledgable.

Wow, sounds like two TOTALLY different type of tours.

Husky Homestead was absolutely awesome for me. I have followed the Iditarod for many years. Watched Jeff win 2006 via website. I had told my traveling companions I was going to meet him, if I had to walk. Fortunately HAL offered the tour, so I didn't have to walk. Jeff is actually a 4 time Iditarod winner. The intestinal fortitude of these folks that run this 1000+ mile race on a dog sled is truly amazing. You see the pups, learn a little of the training, Iditarod info, then meet the man and his family.

The Husky Homestead tour is not going to be the same level of adventure that the ATV tour would be. I haven't done the ATV tour, but can only imagine you will be on the Tundra on a moving machine.

I also enjoyed the Tundra Wilderness Tour on the bus, but I don't think a 15 year old would enjoy the long 8 hour ride. We did see bear, moose, caribou, Dall sheep, a golden eagle and lots of rabbits after dark.

Depending on your level of adventure, only you can make the determination of which tour you and your 15 year old daughter would like best. Discuss the tours with your teen to determine which will be best for you.

We did a side by side atv tour but I can't recall if it is the same one. We went May 2013 and there was snow and it was absolutely freezing. They gave us the option to cancel and refund our money but we stuck it out. They provide all the equipment and a quick overview on the vehicles. They brought us along trails that had gorgeous views. We were able to drive over a riverbed that was currently dry but is flowing in the warmer months. We stopped for lunch which was awesome bbq and very filling. We enjoyed it a lot. I will double check if this is the same one you are asking about.

We also went on the husky tour. The puppies are so awesome. They make sure everyone has an opportunity to hold and take pictures. Jeff king is a very good speaker and storyteller. His dogs are very smart and loved running. I would definitely recommend as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Koali

When thinking about the Iditarod, I am reminded of being in Alaska in the summer of 1988 after Libby Riddles and Susan Butcher had combined to win the race four years in a row. There were many T-shirts containing the message

ALASKA

Where men are men

but women win the Iditarod

Scott & Karen