Radiance Southbound Alaksa Cruise

I booked a D1 cabin on the hump of Deck 9 for my 2015 Southbound Alaskan cruise, on the starboard side. I'm going to try and change to a D2 Aft cabin if one is available. If not, will I be missing out on a lot of nice scenery, since the Alaskan coastline will be on the port side? This will be my first Alaskan cruise and I would like to make the most of it.

Thanks.

Just got home from a southbound. It really depends on how long you plan to spend on your balcony. Just moving around the ship you will see plenty of scenery, by the end of the cruise you will be on snow covered mountain overload. We had a starboard forward balcony deck 7 and I don't feel we missed anything. In fact, after Juneau you head back northbound for Skagway and Icy Strait Point. This is a very scenic area for the starboard side!

Although they spin the ship at the glacier, with an aft cabin you will lose much of the viewing time approaching the Hubbard Glacier. The inside passage means there is almost always something to see from any area of the ship.

I highly recommend the Alaska Railroad to Seward. A beautiful narrated trip. For that train ride the 'best' side is the right side.

Enjoy your cruise.

Just got home from a southbound. It really depends on how long you plan to spend on your balcony. Just moving around the ship you will see plenty of scenery, by the end of the cruise you will be on snow covered mountain overload. We had a starboard forward balcony deck 7 and I don't feel we missed anything. In fact, after Juneau you head back northbound for Skagway and Icy Strait Point. This is a very scenic area for the starboard side!

Although they spin the ship at the glacier, with an aft cabin you will lose much of the viewing time approaching the Hubbard Glacier. The inside passage means there is almost always something to see from any area of the ship.

I highly recommend the Alaska Railroad to Seward. A beautiful narrated trip. For that train ride the 'best' side is the right side.

Enjoy your cruise.

You may loose viewing on the approach but you will have probably an hour of exceptional viewing of Hubbard and surrounding vistas as you leave. Captain will turn the ship so everyone has a chance to view the glacier...aft cabins are last. Then you just leave with the marvelous view all your own.

I am thoroughly confident the aft facing balcony cabins on the Radiance are the best of the ship ESPECIALLY for Alaska. No worries about missing. You see everything on BOTH sides if the ship.....and for the longest time too if enjoying it.

We are on an independent tour on land right now in Alaska ...about to meet the Radiance for a Southbound Journey.

Glaciers ? Hubbard 300 ft high face is .6 1/2 mikes long and goes 26 miles up into the mountains....and active.

Aft facing cabin gives you the longest view of Hubbard.

It's great back there. Quiet----no children screwing past en route to somewhere else, on jolly drunks late at night. Nobody is back there unless they have business back there.

Cabins are the same but the balconies? What? 4 times as deep as standard balconies.

We only travel on aft-facing. Never a zepher of soot. GREAT cabins for windy days at sea---totally protected.

More questions? Just ask.

I booked a D1 cabin on the hump of Deck 9 for my 2015 Southbound Alaskan cruise, on the starboard side. I'm going to try and change to a D2 Aft cabin if one is available. If not, will I be missing out on a lot of nice scenery, since the Alaskan coastline will be on the port side? This will be my first Alaskan cruise and I would like to make the most of it.

Thanks.

If all booked, keep eyes open for cancellations and be ready to pounce.

Hubsters first aft was on the Radiance in Alaska, caught it about 2 weeks before final payment. He lived it south he wimpers if I consider a different cabin area.

Thanks.

Check the deck plan for 2015. You will find out that all the Aft cabins are either D1 or JS (or higher). They changed the classification sometime before we booked our Aft cabin for our July 2015 southbound cruise.

Edited by edjny

Thank you all so much! I have had both a hump balcony and an aft JS on Brilliance, and loved both locations. At least now I know I can't go wrong whether I change cabins or not.