Gibraltar Cable Car help please

We are off on Thomson cruise in August and I wondered if any members could help me with info about how to get to the cable car in Gibraltar - could we walk to it ? Is it going to take ages to queue for it etc. Or should we just book the 2 hour excursion with Thomson for £22 each ?:confused:

It's a walk of over half-an-hour, though pretty level.

Problem with walking is that while you're walking a line may be building at the cablecar station - especially after about 10am when coaches of day-trippers from the Costa del Sol start arriving. And priority given to tour groups.

So unless you make a very early start best take a taxi to the cablecar station - there'll doubtless be others to share.

Very vaguely (you can look it up on the web for precise figures) cablecar is £12 per person, or £20 per person including admissions to St Michael's Cave and Great Siege Tunnel - the latter is a fair hike from the cablecar station, and in the opposite direction to the cave. But compared to ship's tour you'd have the freedom to do your own thing, which is ideal if you're a keen walker. From the Gt Siege tunnels you might prefer to walk back down to town rather than traverse back to the cablecar. Don't know if there's a one-way price for the cablecar.

Me?

I'm the lazy type. I'd take a shared minibus tour, available from the terminal at £22 / €25 pp incl all admissions. And at the end get dropped in town rather than back to the ship, & wander the shops, cafes, pubs & minor sights of Main Street. Then a 20 min walk back to the ship.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yes, it is an easy flat 1 k walk. There are a couple of ways to go. You can google it and do the walk. After the terminal walk to the gates, enter, turn to your right and walk MAIN STREET at the round about, which will turn into Europea Roadabout 1/2 k. you will see the cable car it will be two block towards the water. But if you have a good map you can take a turn (right) walking past apt. Europoport Road, building, market. Can turn Left here, at the round about up to again Europopt Road to Queensway thru the gate around the round about up to Europa Road.

Yes, it is an easy flat 1 k walk. There are a couple of ways to go. You can google it and do the walk. After the terminal walk to the gates, enter, turn to your right and walk MAIN STREET at the round about, which will turn into Europea Roadabout 1/2 k. you will see the cable car it will be two block towards the water. But if you have a good map you can take a turn (right) walking past apt. Europoport Road, building, market. Can turn Left here, at the round about up to again Europopt Road to Queensway thru the gate around the round about up to Europa Road.

Via Main Street is the simpler & more interesting, the cut past Europort is quoted by googlemaps at the same distance & time - 2.6k, 34 minutes. Seems quicker in pleasant weather & mood. ;)

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=North+Mole+Road&daddr=36.1451917,-5.3529531+to:Red+Sands+Road&hl=en&sll=36.140162,-5.362315&sspn=0.026305,0.04828&geocode=Fa6UJwIdqiOu_w%3BFSeIJwIdB1Ku_ynvD2XBf8AMDTFxIc3Ivi7fyQ%3BFdVXJwId2FSu_w&oq=Eoropa+Pouinr&dirflg=w&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&t=m&z=15

You can always get a mini-bus from the cruiseliner terminal and do a Rock Tour definitely worth it, 28 euros each with your nature reserve tickets included, you can also find this tour buses next to the cable car building, these guides know what they are doing!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you can still do this, but we previously bought tickets online for the cable car, which meant that we wouldn't have had to join the ticket queue, just the cable car queue. Unfortunately it was too windy when we were there and we were unable to go on the cable cars, however we did get a refund on our tickets.

Not sure if you can still do this, but we previously bought tickets online for the cable car, which meant that we wouldn't have had to join the ticket queue, just the cable car queue. Unfortunately it was too windy when we were there and we were unable to go on the cable cars, however we did get a refund on our tickets.

Good thinkin', but if the line for the cablecar is extremely short or non-existent buying tickets will cost no more than a minute or two. And if there's a moderately long line you buy tickets where the line passes the ticket office, costing no extra time or your place in the line.

We walked through town after walking over the border (this was a post cruise stop for us) to the cable cars. No lines. Long walk though...great town! Maps along the way on the street. I would take the bus. I think the cable car was 12 euro. We weren't interested in doing the rock tour; just wanted some time on our own. The tour guides are very aggressive and everywhere! I was surprised. We loved our relaxed time on the rock and our fish and chips afterwards at a street cafe. Monkeys are great!!

edaja2yd.jpg

y2asa9er.jpg