Oosterdam July 24 Shore Excursions - already booking

bryanwal

To my surprise, I was able to book my shore excursions already for the July 24th Alaska cruise on Oosterdam. This, even though we are still about 75 days out. This is our first HAL cruise and I was surprised that, unlike Disney, they charge your credit card for the full amount on booking instead of adding the total to your shipboard account.

- Bryan W

Oct 2000 Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean

Jun 2002 Disney Magic - Western Caribbean

Jul 2004 HAL Oosterdam - Alaska

Feb 2005 Celebrity Mercury - Mexican Riviera

Protect your PC!

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/default.asp

Bryan, Thank you very much for posting your input. I too am on that sailing and was able to prebook my trips. Needless to say, I got all my first choices.

Guides Choice Adventure Hike in Juneau.

Historic Russian America, rator Center, and Dancers in Sitka.

Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise and Flight in Ketchikan.

City Drive, Craigdorrock Castle and High Tea at Victoria.

You never know, we might see each other on the O-Dam. My name is Wayne and if you see a black baseball cap with Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles on it, it should be me.

Last year I cruised to Alaska on the Statendam out of Vancouver and just loved it. I think HAL does Alaska so well.

I booked my excursions for the July 10 sailing on Wednesday. I guess the "at least 60 days" window that HAL mentions on their excursion site is opening wider.

Alison

MS Zuiderdam

03/04 Eastern Caribbean

07/04 Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 MS Zuiderdam

Thoth! We are going to be on the same excursion in Sitka!

In Juneau we are doing the Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest.

In Sitka the 8am Historic Russian America, Raptor Center & Russian Dancers (which one have you booked?)

In Ketchikan we're doing the Saxman Native Village and Lumberjack Combo.

In Victoria we're probably staying on the ship. We've spent several days in Victoria before and have late seating anyways, right during the shore time. We're spending so much on the cruise and excursions that we plan on eating every meal on the ship! Don't know if we'll get off the ship after dinner. Does anyone know if the ship docks or tenders in Victoria?

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

I am the 8 am Sitka trip as well.

Last year, I did Mendenhall Glacier and really enjoyed it.

In Ketchikan I went to the Saxman Totem Pole village, and although I did not attend the Lumberjack show I heard it was great. Creek Street was my favorite site in Ketchikan and it's easy to walk to from the pier.

As for as Vitoria goes, I don't know if we dock or tender. Hopefully we dock! I know we docked last year in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Needless to say, dockinging is much better, but I understand that Sitka might be a tender due to a shallow harbor.

What did you think of the Saxman village? Was it worth the extra time and expense? If we do the combined excursion as planned, I doubt we'll have to see Creek Street.

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

The Saxman Native Village is very much worth the time and money in my opinion. My tour was called "Explore Historical Ketchikan" which visited the cannery and we stopped only briefly at Saxman in order to take photos of the totem poles. Sounds like you are getting the whole village tour which includes the show. From what I heard you will love the Tlingit song and dance show. I'm just sorry I didn't see it.

According to the shore excursions book, the tour will drop off those who wish at historic Creek street. Dolly's house is more or less across the street from the lumberjack show.

Hopefully, You should get a chance to see plenty that day!

I'm late sitting also, so maybe I'll need to eat at Lido deck on Victoria day.

By the way, last year I booked my shore excursions on-line and the tickets were waiting for me in the cabin when I arrived( bright orange envelope on table). That was so easy! Also I printed my customs/immigration form on-line and presented it at check in. They sent my straight through the express line with no problems and very little wait. I sure hope all that works that effectively this time.

Thanks for the good information. See you on the Oosterdam!

According to what I've read on this board and in the Frommer's Guide to Alaska Cruises, the Lido buffet is closed the last evening of the cruise. Are there other places to eat if you've got late seating but want to visit Victoria?

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

On second thought, I am sure they will make other arragments on the last day for eating and shows. They did the last 2 years. On the last night, Second seating guest had their show before the first seating, so perhaps dining will work that way also. If anything, the high tea at the Empress Hotel might suffice for me. to be honest, I care not for this 8pm to midnight port times. That makes no sense! I believe that they must visit at least one non-US port in order to not have a US flag and be subject to US rules, or something to that effect. In hawaii ships must visit Fanning island outside US waters in order to comply or meet some rule.

I'll keep an eye for you on that Sitka tour. Again, I'll likely be wearing a black baseball cap.

Wayne M

Commodore Enchanted Capri= Western Caribbean

Carnival Inspiration = Western Caribbean

HAL Maasdam = Eastern Caribbean

HAL Statendam= Alaska

I'm sure the only reason for the late visit is to satisfy the Jones Act. It would be so much nicer to have longer in port but I suppose they can't get there in time. I'll look out for the black baseball cap. Can't give you a clue as to what I'll be wearing as I don't plan that far in advance!

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

Bryan, I don't plan what I wear much either, but I do love to wear Aloha shirts and since I have some dresser ones, one can expect to see me wearing hibiscus flowers or sailboats on casual nights in the Vista dining room. In case you didn't know a dark suit and tie is fine on formal nights, or at least the last two years it was. I don't own a tux, but many gentlemen do wear them on HAL.

Speaking of Victoria BC, Conde` Nast Traveler Magazine had a poll where the readers rated Victoria the prettiest City in North America.

I've used Cruise Line Formal to rent in the past and I think I will do so this time. My oldest son is 15 this year and I think we will get him his first tuxedo, too. We'll respect the custom and stay in our tuxes all evening, which admittedly is easier to do in the cooler Alaska air than in the Caribbean!

Victoria is a beautiful city with a very European feeling. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there a few years ago and there is much to see. I particularly loved Butchart Gardens. The Inner Harbor area is lovely, especially in the early evening, and since the ship docks instead of tenders, it should be easy to catch a shuttle from the cruise ship dock to the Inner Harbor.

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

No doubt you and the son will look nice in your tuxes. Who knows, I might rent some formal wear myself. Did you find out we dock and not tender in victoria? That would be great!

My Frommer's says we dock, but not in the Inner Harbour - too small. The cruise terminal is on the other side of the peninsula, a long walk or a short shuttle ride from the Inner Harbour - about a mile.

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

Sorry about the confusion. I had my head in the clouds concerning tendering Sitka and Victoria. According to some sources, there is nothing between Sitka and Japan but open water and if we experiance rough sea it will be in the Gulf of Alaska. It will work out fine this time but tenders and open ocean don't always mix. Tuesday will be spent on the Gulf also when the Oosterdam visits Hubbard Glacier. From what I understand, Hubbard Glacier is part of Wrangell St. Elias National Park which is the nation's largest. Hopefully, I can add that park to US national parks I have visited(13 so far). Hubbard Glacier is advancing at a high rate and has damed up Russell Fjord in the past, creating a lake. Sounds like it may be doing the same thing this year. Compared to other Alaskan Glaciers, Hubbard seems erratic, which is a good thing. Also, its 30 to 40 stories high, 6 miles across and calves icebergs the size of large buildings. Also, if we have clear weather, we will get views of the second and third highest peaks in North America( Mt. Logan 19,551' & Mt. St. Elias at 18,008').

Last year,I went though Glacier Bay N. P. on the inside passage cruise and can only describe the place as otherworldly. The writer of Frommer's Alaska Cruises Guidebook claims to like Hubbard better.

I can't wait!!

This is our first Alaska cruise, but if it's as good as what everyone else is saying, we'll have to try one of the other itineraries soon. I'd like to see Skagway and the Inside Passage and then at some point do an Alaska CruiseTour where we have land time at the other end.

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

Lasy year I visited Skagway and did the White Pass railroad as a shore excursion. That was my favorite shore excursion of the 4 cruises that I have been on. The town is restored to look the way it did 100 years ago during the gold rush days. The railroad is a narrow gadge antique which passes through lovely countryside.

I hear that tour is really picturesque, but only if the weather's nice. If it's cloudy you can't see a thing!

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

You may have seen my other post. You do tender in Sitka. The ride is about 10 minutes each way once you board. The O docks in Victoria, but it is a mile from the downtown core. The cab fare was $ 6.00 canadian to down town with dozens of cabs waiting.

Hubbard glacier actually has the convergence of three glaciers. Hubbard is an advancing glacier which is rare and it did cut off Russell Fjord in the past making a fresh water lake. It is currently advancing and may cut it off again (but not during this cruise season). We had the entire glacier to ourselves with no other cruise ships. You will love it!

Wow, thanks Semlohah for your input. I had read that only one ship at a time can get close to Hubbard Glacier and if you can't wait your turn you may not get close enough. Sounds like the Oosterdam will see plenty.

Concerning the White pass railroad and sightseeing on rainy days. Clear skys can make a huge difference on the White Pass. Rain could break the day's sightseeing.That seems to be true concerning much of Alaska. I know last year in Glacier Bay National Park, it rained the whole day and I saw very little of the mountains. Of course, the glaciers up close were worth the trip. The word is that many people have treked to Mt. McKinley and seen clouds. I'll just take my chances, especially considering that i'm booked on a half day nature hike in Juneau.

• 5 weeks later...

BRYANWAL, if you still check these boards. I just wanted to tell you that the packets are arriving. You can expect good news from your travel agent real soon , if not already. I had a pleasent visit with my TA today! No more money to pay now! There are 2 late seatings and I'm assigned the 8:30.

My TA called the other day to say she had received our packets and that she would drop them off after she verified their accuracy. On Tuesday we ordered Tuxes for me and my oldest son. I had previously asked my TA to assign us to the 8:00pm late seating, so I guess we'll have to wave over the rail.

No more money to pay now? Well, except for tips, incidentals, photos, drinks ....

- Bryan W

Protect your PC!

Archived